Su-17

Enigma89

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 2:21 PM, Gierasimov said:

Really, learning the cockpit in Cyrillic is not as bad as it sounds. 

I am all in for EN cockpit option though for people who can't do that. People can have different capacity of learning as well. 

I am with draconus on this one, Soviet jet, Soviet tech, let it be in original language as designed and produced. 

As I said, Hind has got the EN cockpit option, people can use it if they want, it does not bother me, coz on my PC, in my DCS World all is set to what I want...

Where I serve, we got Mi-17 in English in real life, we did have them in Russian, we did have Su-22 in our language. I mean you get what you pay for, even from Russia, if you buying some jets they gladly give them to you in English if you pay them for that. As one instructor said, if you want that jet to suck your D, it will, it’s just about money 

• Like 1

If anyone can put me thru to the devs, i have Access to Su17M4, i can photograph any component from any angle if it helps.

And i do mean any, i can open any Access port, any door on the aircraft.

Contact me on discord: thief0926

IMG_20231013_134357 (1).jpg

Edited by Polish sukhoi
  • Like 9

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/18/2023 at 10:46 PM, Polish sukhoi said:

If anyone can put me thru to the devs, i have Access to Su17M4, i can photograph any component from any angle if it helps.

And i do mean any, i can open any Access port, any door on the aircraft.

Contact me on discord: thief0926

IMG_20231013_134357 (1).jpg

@Plexus Might come in handy, though I expect your team to already have access to whatever you need!

@Polish sukhoi Would you mind taking some good pictures of the airframe from multiple angles around, with close-ups of "important" components, and also the engine (as per the above picture) and upload them for download?

Thanks in advance!

zerO

Edited by zerO_crash
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, spikef22 said:

So any of y'all see the upgraded KH-29T in the newsletter? It's got my mind running since the Su-25T doesn't even use that weapon properly. I wonder what other aircraft uses the Kh-29T...

Yeah that's some weapons grade speculation and wishful thinking 🙂

Su-17M4 is the thing I want to see happening in DCS perhaps the most. Few other things I want as much. But that doesn't mean we should start reading into things way more than reasonable imo 😛 I'd be happy to be wrong here though...

Edited by WinterH
Typo
  • Like 3

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

On 12/3/2023 at 7:25 AM, WinterH said:

Yeah that's some weapons grade speculation and wishful thinking 🙂

Su-17M4 is the thing I want to see happening in DCS perhaps the most. Few other things I want as much. But that doesn't mean we should start reading into things way more than reasonable imo 😛 I'd be happy to be wrong here though...

We need more weapons grade speculation when it comes to the Su-17M4... 🙂

And he wasn't the only person to think about that, I mean ED has said for years that they don't wanna spend any more resources on FC3 than they have to, so they aren't remaking it for outdated FC3 jets IMO.

Which opens up "weapons grade" speculation. 

The jets that did use it are the Su-17, and Mig27, later 25's, as well as later, multirole mig29's. Thats the short list at least. Frankly I'd be ecstatic if it was the Su-17, and since its out of service in the USSR and has been "for a while" it might be doable for ED (maybe even as a test case), though personally I think they have their heart set on the 29, and the 9.12 didn't carry KH-29's but later multirole 29's did i.e. 9.15.

Mig29M i.e. the 9.15

The aircraft external stores can carry the RVV-AE, R-27ER1, R-27ET1, R-27R1, R-27T1, R-73E air-to-air missiles, the Kh-29T, Kh-29L, Kh-31A, Kh-31P, Kh-35E air-to-surface missiles, the KAB-500KR (OD), KAB-500L guided bombs, as well as rockets and free-fall bombs. Besides, the aircraft have the GSh-301 built-in gun. 

The Naval Mig29K I think could also carry the 29T, for some versions at least.

So ED "might" be pushing for a mig29. Though if this is the case I hope to christ they also do an older 9.12 version since its vastly more relevant.

Edited by Harlikwin
  • Like 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

If we get a 29, I'm sure it'll be a 9.12, that's what they said back when they hinted at the idea the first too. I remain unconvinced Kh-29T rework is anything beyond sim assets maintenance at this point, but again, hopefully I'm wrong. Again Su-17M4 is sharing the spot with F-4E in being the thing I'd be most anticipating to see and enjoy using in DCS. If not that, Su-22M4 isn't that far off either, but if possible would prefer the 17.

I would really not expect any MiG-29 beyond 80s to be honest. But it would be cool indeed if we could get one that is somewhat multirole, but I'd understand the argument against it too, in favor of an older one, if getting a later one would mean it being at the expense of one that is representative of more ubiquitious variants all over the world.

I'd love to get a MiG-27K someday, but not sure if it is super likely. They would complement each other well with Su-17M4, each having different pros-cons.

Anyway, I'm actually kinda happy to speculate about Su-17/22M4 though 😛 

• Su-25 but even faster
  • Lots of boom and dakka
  • Janky-advanced 80s coolness
  • Cold-War Soviet stuff
  • Quite a bit of options for SEAD, not only that, full fidelity Red-SEAD

What's not to like!

I truly hope Octopus-G will give us this bird after (also anticipated by me) La-7. On one hand I like them as a 3rd party warbird provider, and I love warbirds in DCS, and I have more Soviet birds or potential rivals I'd like to see from them, on the hand... Su-17M4... and Octo-G is one of my favorite devs personally tbh.

• Like 2

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

12 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

Mig29M i.e. the 9.15

The aircraft external stores can carry the RVV-AE, R-27ER1, R-27ET1, R-27R1, R-27T1, R-73E air-to-air missiles...

and R-60?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 12/5/2023 at 12:45 AM, draconus said:

and R-60?

Probably, I just copied that from somewhere.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

On 12/4/2023 at 12:35 PM, WinterH said:

If we get a 29, I'm sure it'll be a 9.12, that's what they said back when they hinted at the idea the first too. I remain unconvinced Kh-29T rework is anything beyond sim assets maintenance at this point, but again, hopefully I'm wrong. Again Su-17M4 is sharing the spot with F-4E in being the thing I'd be most anticipating to see and enjoy using in DCS. If not that, Su-22M4 isn't that far off either, but if possible would prefer the 17.

I would really not expect any MiG-29 beyond 80s to be honest. But it would be cool indeed if we could get one that is somewhat multirole, but I'd understand the argument against it too, in favor of an older one, if getting a later one would mean it being at the expense of one that is representative of more ubiquitious variants all over the world.

I'd love to get a MiG-27K someday, but not sure if it is super likely. They would complement each other well with Su-17M4, each having different pros-cons.

Anyway, I'm actually kinda happy to speculate about Su-17/22M4 though 😛 

• Su-25 but even faster
  • Lots of boom and dakka
  • Janky-advanced 80s coolness
  • Cold-War Soviet stuff
  • Quite a bit of options for SEAD, not only that, full fidelity Red-SEAD

What's not to like!

I truly hope Octopus-G will give us this bird after (also anticipated by me) La-7. On one hand I like them as a 3rd party warbird provider, and I love warbirds in DCS, and I have more Soviet birds or potential rivals I'd like to see from them, on the hand... Su-17M4... and Octo-G is one of my favorite devs personally tbh.

Yeah, the red-SEAD stuff will probably one of the harder things to do/get right. Though AFAIK there are docs on it. 

Several former operators of Su-22M4 are in NATO now, I don't think access to data would be an issue at least as far as Kh-25MP goes. Kh-58 is a different matter, though I've yet to see any indications that its employment is vastly different from switchology point of view but I might be mistaken.

1657977005_luch.jpg

Edited by Dr_Pavelheer

On 12/7/2023 at 10:13 AM, Dr_Pavelheer said:

Several former operators of Su-22M4 are in NATO now, I don't think access to data would be an issue at least as far as Kh-25MP goes. Kh-58 is a different matter, though I've yet to see any indications that its employment is vastly different from switchology point of view but I might be mistaken.

1657977005_luch.jpg

Ah yes, the famous sukhoi runes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Avimimus said:

If the Mig-23ML sells well enough, then maybe...? They do share some systems in common, so it might also have somewhat faster/cheaper development.

I'm sure MiG-23MLA will sell pretty well. Seems like there are lots of people who want more Cold War aircraft, or more red-birds, or some others specifically want both red and cold war birds, and it fits the bill for all of them. I'd count myself in all 3 of those groups too tbh.

However, I feel like differences between MiG-27K and 23MLA are more than what they share. I remember some years ago Overstratos saying something like 27K being specifically difficult to get all docs about, but it could be made with educated guesses where docs aren't available. Not entirely sure how I feel about that, but tbh pretty much all modules have some of that in, and looks like that's the only way we'll get more red birds. Also I think unlike MiG-27M, K wasn't exported much, if at all, outside of Soviet Union. What makes K unique and interesting in addition to a Su-17M4 is Kaira tv sight+laser designator, kind of like an older Shkval, and M doesn't have that afaik.

Su-17M4 and MiG-27K would complement each other so nicely in DCS though... one can dream 🙂

• Like 1

DCS-Dismounts Script

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2023 at 10:46 PM, Polish sukhoi said:

Just FYI, OctopusG appears to be a very small Russian shop, and the dev (yes, singular) doesn't speak English at all. Which is also why the I-16 doesn't have an English cockpit. I'm not sure if that's still true, but I haven't seen him on the English forum. You'd probably have better luck talking on the Russian forum.