DCS: F-16C Viper Manual

=BoB= David
Go to solution Solved by Raptor9,

Patience is a plaster for all sores😄

• Like 2

i7-11700K 5GHz, 64GB DDR4@3200, ZOTAC RTX4090, iiyama 34 Red Eagle  || Quest 3, HP Reverb G2, TrackIR 5  || Orion2 F-16EX Viper Throttle Combo, TM Warthog throttle(button box),  Virpil WarBRD+Viper stick, VPC interceptor pedals || TM MFD Cougar pack || F-16C, F-15E, AH-64D | Simshaker Jetpad || F-16 Panels: Landing Gear, CMDS, ICP, Avionics, Sensors, Lighting, Air Cond, HUD, Anti Ice

• ED Team

Hi all, 

we lost our old manual writer, but we hired a new one that started two days ago. One of his tasks will be to update the Hornet, Viper, and AH-64D manuals.

Thank you for your patience. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi all, 

we lost our old manual writer, but we hired a new one that started two days ago. One of his tasks will be to update the Hornet, Viper, and AH-64D manuals.

Thank you for your patience. 

Great, thank you for info 🙂

Good to know, the manuals could use updating, let me know if you need any help searching for the old manual writer...maybe he's hiding...

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

• 3 weeks later...
  • ED Team
  • Solution

No ETA yet. The individual that's been hired for manual writing is in the process of assembling/reviewing all the required information for the past year of updates to the module.

It's a lengthy process of not only adding new sections for new features of the module, but reviewing existing sections of the manual to ensure they accurately reflect current functions and behaviors that may have evolved over time.

• Like 3

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

On 7/5/2022 at 8:30 PM, Steel Jaw said:

Good to know, the manuals could use updating, let me know if you need any help searching for the old manual writer...maybe he's hiding...

lol perhaps he is afraid of pitchforks 😉

• Like 2

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

On 7/24/2022 at 3:13 PM, Raptor9 said:

No ETA yet. The individual that's been hired for manual writing is in the process of assembling/reviewing all the required information for the past year of updates to the module.

It's a lengthy process of not only adding new sections for new features of the module, but reviewing existing sections of the manual to ensure they accurately reflect current functions and behaviors that may have evolved over time.

Excited to hear there is solid progress on a revised and improved manual. Appreciate the update! 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, arb65912 said:

Having a look at few manuals I have toa admit it is incredible amount of work to update/add/proof things. 

most definitely. this person not only has to know how to put it into words but also needs to know how to do it.

Edited by silverdevil
  • Like 2

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

• 4 weeks later...
  • ED Team
6 hours ago, giullep said:

Hi guys, any news about the updates of the manual?

No specific news at this time. Work is still ongoing to add new sections, as well as update existing sections with more content and more accurate information.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

• 2 weeks later...

Even Chucks Guide are outdated...... sooner the better because all the old youtube videos on 'how to do' etc etc are way out of date too.....  Not a job i'd fancy doing comming in midstream.     I'll be patient  🙂

• Like 2
Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x [OC_4700Mhz  1.27v All Core],   AMD Rx6700XT 12GB,    32Gb DDR4_3200 CL16,    M.2_NVMe(OS) + 1TB M.2 SSD for DCS install ,    Delan opentrack IR,    QHD 1440p@75Mhz 32" HDR Monitor.

Hotas heavy modded  T.Flight Hotas One - 3D printed Mods. 3D Printed Pedals 3D prinded Delan Clip, Future mods…Upgrade T.flight to Hall sensors…more switches….F-16 ICP,  Spitfire/Mossie switch labels and future Athentikit Spit Mk iX controls.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • ED Team

Hello everyone, I'd like to provide an update regarding the F-16C manual's status.

The F-16C manual has been under review and revision since the first week of August, with a lot of effort devoted to not only new sections for features that have come to the DCS: F-16C in the past year, but to improve the existing sections to the quality expected of DCS Manuals. As such, here is one such example of an improvement:

Existing EXT Lighting Control Panel section

image.png

Updated EXT Lighting Control Panel section

image.png

Additionally, the intent is to not just explain how to operate a panel, but to explain (when appropriate) how these systems function within the simulated tactical environment of DCS World. Here is an excerpt from the new ECM section.

image.png

Throughout this process, it has been necessary to review the existing text to:

1. Identify any shortcomings of the existing manual content.
  2. Identify any inaccuracies of the existing manual with regards to the current functionality in game.
  3. Test the procedures and explanations within the new/revised manual content to ensure it reflects the current state of the DCS: F-16C.

This manual revision is intended to be as thorough as possible; but at the same time, we recognize the need to push new and up-to-date information as soon as possible is an important aspect for the players. As such, the plan will be to release these updates in stages, so that completed chapters or sub-sections are released when able. Currently the plan is to release the following completed sections in the first edition of updates:

• Updated DCS: World Fundamentals and F-16C Weapons chapters. 
  • Updated Cockpit Overview chapter. This chapter alone has grown from 16 pages to 40. With thorough descriptions for every switch, button or analog gauge functionality.
  • Updated Hands-On Controls (HOTAS) section to reflect new capabilities and logic. More thorough explanations of contextual HOTAS commands and logic will still be needed in each individual sensor or weapon chapter of course.
  • Updated HUD and HUD Control Panel section.
  • Updated and expanded Defensive Systems chapter to include additions for the ECM pods and more thorough and accurate explanation of the countermeasures logic with regard to the CMS commands on the control stick and the CMDS panel settings (The explanation of the CMDS Modes logic alone is now 1.5 pages to capture all the aspects of its logic, with the Defensive Systems chapter grown from 6 pages to 16).
  • Updated and expanded Appendices to include updated ALIC codes, RWR abbreviations, HAS tables, and HAD threat classes, among others.

Additional sections that are currently works-in-progress at varying states of completion, but are also intended to be released in the first edition of updates:

• New chapter covering the HARM Targeting System (HTS pod).
  • Updated and expanded section explaining the ICP and various DED pages (this one in particular is quite the task).
  • Updated section covering the basics of MFD operation, specifically the Horizontal Situation Display (HSD) MFD format.

This final list is not all-encompassing of everything that is WIP, but rather the most crucial highlights that are being actively worked on for completion. After the first update edition is finalized, other sections such as the FCR, TGP, and various weapons will be undertaken as well. Ultimately, this is a labor of passion that will hopefully be worth the wait to all of you fellow virtual Viper pilots out there.

Respectfully,
Raptor

• Like 21
  • Thanks 18

DCS Rotor-Head

• Wags changed the title to DCS: F-16C Viper Manual
  • Wags pinned this topic