DCS: F-16C Viper Manual

=BoB= David
Go to solution Solved by Raptor9,

• ED Team
9 hours ago, giullep said:

Only to polite question..do you have an eta or any idea about the release: a month, a year, 2 weeks? 

I hear you. Unfortunately if I give any date, even a rough estimate and state that it is only "planned", I will then be chained to it. When dates are mentioned as "planned", these are often interpreted as promises or guarantees.

I completely understand your position, and I want the first round of updates pushed out as soon as possible. However, as much as it pains me to say it, I can't give any ETA or estimates at this time. This is the best way.

• Like 4

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

2 ore fa, Raptor9 ha scritto:

I hear you. Unfortunately if I give any date, even a rough estimate and state that it is only "planned", I will then be chained to it. When dates are mentioned as "planned", these are often interpreted as promises or guarantees.

I completely understand your position, and I want the first round of updates pushed out as soon as possible. However, as much as it pains me to say it, I can't give any ETA or estimates at this time. This is the best way.

ok thx...you are right..good work

• 4 weeks later...

Latest manual update is from 10/24 2021. Any plans to update it in the near feature?

MY SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel pentium 3 @ 800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM, Geforce 2 64Mb, Dell screen 1024x768 + Microsoft sidewhiner joystick + TrackIR 2 + TrackClitPro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 98, Noice Attack & VIASAT PRO, SnackView

i am glad to hear that ED is making some progress towards updating the manuals.  unfortunately it is too little of an effort for how far behind so many of the manuals and the work that needs done to bring the manuals up to current specs. i have been playing DCS for a little over 6 months or so and in that time i have taken advantage of the test drive program.  i have gone from greatly impressed to greatly disappointed at times in the short time of being in the dcs community.  yes i understand it takes a ton of time to make a proper manual that reflects the complexity of the systems in the planes and how to properly use them.  one of the short falls that i have noticed with the f-16 module, is that in some of the training missions briefing will say you need to make sure that you are familiar with this system on this page in the manual only to have it not be on the page and it take 15 minutes to figure out where the proper section is  that the briefing said. that was one of the multiple. fortunately there has been an amazing amount for progress with all the modules but what happens is that with out the correct documentation the updates are useless because no one knows that they are even there or how to utilize them, without the proper documentation.  i have found in quite a few of the manuals that the planes have changed so much that there is the wrong or missing information in the them.  there have even been times when trying to figure a lesson out in the training that is telling you to push  osd # that says abc  but now it says xyz, when osd# is pushs it it doesnt do anything any more. there have been in the training missions bugs where it wont let you past a certain spot in the mission and the little box that is over the switch doesnt go away and you cant go any further in that training mission. those are but a few of the many errors that has happend to me while trying to learn a module. what i am saying is that it has been 4 months since you hired the new guy and there has only been 5 pages posted.   With only one guy redoing the manuals, they will never get done because by the time he gets one done there will be  new modules that need more manuals. DCS needs a whole team to go over every manual and fix and add them.

it would also be worth it to have a section on the main page in dcs for manuals called MANUALS, right above the one called  encyclopedia.  i didnt even know that dcs had manuals!" Is the sentence that i hear the most frequent . I can understand 3rd party manuals in the open source community but dcs that prides itself on the most realistic flight simulator EVER!, has to have the proper documentation to go with the modules, to be the best, you have to have the whole package!

this is not a bash dcs post, it is my experience, and what they need to fix this current problem. i couldn't find a better place to post it

fortunately between the dcs manual, grim reapers how to airplane playlist , wagner's youtube, chucks guides i can usually find what i am trying to figure out. but it shouldn't be that way, i shouldn't have to go to  4 different sources.

DCS should hire CHUCK or buy or license  his guides since they are have part of the puzzle in them!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• ED Team
2 hours ago, DukeAngus said:

what i am saying is that it has been 4 months since you hired the new guy and there has only been 5 pages posted.   With only one guy redoing the manuals, they will never get done because by the time he gets one done there will be  new modules that need more manuals. DCS needs a whole team to go over every manual and fix and add them.

The F-16 manual revision is over halfway finished, including well over 100 pages of new content. A preview of 4 new pages is not indicative of the totality of progress.
The person doing the F-16 manual isn't the only one writing manuals, just the one that is responsible for a few of the aircraft, like the F-16, F-18 and A-10C.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team

Hello everyone. I'm pleased to inform you that the next Open Beta update will include the first set of revisions and updates to the F-16 manual. The manual has increased in size from 318 to 452 pages, and includes a mix of revisions and new content. Below is a screenshot of the most recent entry in the Latest Changes list that illustrates what you can expect in the update.

Latest Change Notes.png

The next edition will also include a greater use of embedded and discrete hyperlinks to facilitate easier navigation. Expandable bookmark entries will be present, however in some cases there may be options to directly click on an entry to take you to the applicable section.

Bookmarks and Hyperlinks.png

For example, if you were to click on the orange box labeled "Data Entry Display (DED)" in the cockpit image above, the manual will proceed to the following page outlining the DED:

DED Hyperlinks.png

From this page, you may then click on "CNI", and the manual will proceed to the specific sub-section explaining the DED's CNI page in greater detail. Not all figures will include hyperlinks (in some cases because the sections have not been completed yet), but if you mouse over a word box and your mouse pointer changes to a small hand icon, that will indicate that you may click to go directly to a manual section that explains that item or function in greater detail.

Finally, I want to stress that this is just the first set in a series of updates. As you can see in the Latest Changes image above, there is still a ways to go; but the actual progress is further along than what you will see in the next manual version, and work has not stopped since pushing this version for publishing.

Thank you to all the virtual Viper pilots out there for your patience.

Respectfully,
Raptor

• Like 10
  • Thanks 14

DCS Rotor-Head

open beta only?

Please make it available to those using release version - and please don't others whinge at me like sad people about why I use release, along with many other people. I've had enough of that in other threads and although I have explained why, I shouldn't have to.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

• ED Team
30 minutes ago, Johnny Dioxin said:

open beta only?

Please make it available to those using release version

The updated manual will automatically replace the existing F-16 English manual in the Docs folder within the DCS Open Beta installation location. As such, if a customer does not have the Open Beta version installed, they cannot receive the new updated manual through the Open Beta updating process.

However, the plan is to also post the updated manual to the DCS website. So even if you do not have the Open Beta version of DCS installed, you may still access the manual. But the manual within the DCS installation path will not be automatically updated until the Stable version of DCS receives an update to bring it to the corresponding version as Open Beta.

• Thanks 3

DCS Rotor-Head

Yeah, that's understood - thanks. If I can get it from the website, that would be great. I'm very reluctant to use the current open beta in particular due to the reports of VR performance degradation, though I haven't used it for a long time now. I'd rather wait until the problems have been sorted, especially with such a large update - cheers.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Nice to hear the Viper manual is being updated, I would like to see some cross-over info like air defense and jamming added to the Hornet manual.

MODERATORS:  let me know if you need help with proof-reading.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Amazing job with the new manual, its very good. One suggestion for the next update to it, for the diagrams that are hyperlinked like the cockpit one, add like a hyper link back to the original image so you can easily return back to it. It would also be nice if it described the different steerpoint blocks.

Edited by llOPPOTATOll
  • Like 2