FAQ and Updates

OnReTech

1 hour ago, Gunfreak said:

Can we get ptolemaic war elephants?

OK OK might be asking too much. But what about dromedaries?

elephants? 😄

like this?

image.png

I think we should ask the ED to do this as a good addition to the infantry 🙂

Edited by OnReTech
  • Like 8

15 minutes ago, OnReTech said:

elephants? 😄

like this?

image.png

I think we should ask the ED to do this as a good addition to the infantry 🙂

Those are the modern ones.

I prefer the older more colourful ones. maybe not so useful today. But would be excellent for taking out old SAM systems during the cold war.

download (1) (3).jpeg

• Like 4

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

Good day,
do you know if the aircraft shelters will be modeled below ground level? I know that at some Israeli airbases they seem to be embedded below ground level.... I have not found this information about the Sinai map anywhere and I don't even know if it is technically possible?
Thanks

Edited by lj0076

AMD 5800X, 64GB RAM, RTX3080, HP Reverb G2

Is there any info on how large the map will be in terms of file size? This is definitely one of my most anticipated releases but I would want to make sure I actually have the storage space to download it.

• Like 1

Current Modules: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-15E, F-4E, AV-8B, Mirage 2KC, Mirage F-1, Mig-21, AJS-37, A-10C II, F-5E, AH-64D, UH-1H, Ka-50 BS2/BS3, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24P, SA342, Spitfire, P-47D, BF-109K, Mosquito
Tech Pack: WWII Assets
Terrain: Syria, Sinai, NTTR

33 minutes ago, RevampedGrunt said:

Is there any info on how large the map will be in terms of file size? This is definitely one of my most anticipated releases but I would want to make sure I actually have the storage space to download it.

Not long ago they said 55Gb, but subject to grow even more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

19 hours ago, lj0076 said:

Good day,
do you know if the aircraft shelters will be modeled below ground level? I know that at some Israeli airbases they seem to be embedded below ground level.... I have not found this information about the Sinai map anywhere and I don't even know if it is technically possible?
Thanks

There is no land below 0 altitude so it's not going to happen if the said hangar would go below that. 

If it's at some elevation already then it could happen but I did not see anything me mentioned. 

In current DCS there is water everywhere at 0 altitude and land can go only up. That's been causing issues with many aspects of map making for DCS and frankly I don't understand why is that so. 

It's at least a third iteration of terrain engine and still such a silly limitation.

Edited by Gierasimov
  • Like 2

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

2 hours ago, Gierasimov said:

There is no land below 0 altitude so it's not going to happen if the said hangar would go below that. 

If it's at some elevation already then it could happen but I did not see anything me mentioned. 

In current DCS there is water everywhere at 0 altitude and land can go only up. That's been causing issues with many aspects of map making for DCS and frankly I don't understand why is that so. 

It's at least a third iteration of terrain engine and still such a silly limitation.

Hmm, I was just thinking about that. Sometimes when I jump into a mission and it takes time for the terrain textures to load, you can see the sea level somewhere deeper below the plane. And since I assume that these bases have some height above sea level, although they do have a small one, theoretically the deepening of the hangars should be modeled without disturbing the zero altitude. If that's really the case, the developers will say...
I don't know the pitfalls of creating scenery, but purely theoretically it should be possible to create it, it's basically a valley like any other...

• Like 1

AMD 5800X, 64GB RAM, RTX3080, HP Reverb G2

3 hours ago, Gierasimov said:

In current DCS there is water everywhere at 0 altitude

I was wondering about that... How are you modelling the dead sea? Or rather: the area immediately surrounding the dead sea.

Edited by cfrag
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cfrag said:

I was wondering about that... How are you modelling the dead sea? Or rather: the area immediately surrounding the dead sea.

absolutely true, below sea level is not possible.

But bunkers can be made below ground level (let's say you can dig a hole, but water will appear when the ground level reaches sea level)

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, OnReTech said:

absolutely true, below sea level is not possible.

Thank you for the added information. So are you allowed to tell us how that area (dead sea basin) is represented in the map? IIRC, the dead sea's surface is 1300 ft (400m) below sea level, with the basin (surrounding area) gradually rising up to sea level. The entire basin area is much larger than the dead sea itself, and entirely below sea level. How is this modelled in the (soon-to-be purchased) Sinai map? As a big lake? As some slightly-above-zero-elevation desert with the actual dead sea a lake? Will, for example, Masada be a mountain fortress set high above the ground, or a fortification set on a hill above the surrounding area? 

Don't get me wrong, I'm just curious - there's no way I'm going to pass up this map; as a matter of fact, I suggest you release it now so I don't have to ask silly questions but can purchase and inspect in person 🙂

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, cfrag said:

I suggest you release it now so I don't have to ask silly questions but can purchase and inspect in person 🙂

Concur!

• Like 1

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

4 hours ago, cfrag said:

Just for me is the prio. 1 release itself. What about problems with the negative height of the steerpoints at the Dead sea... Would be tough to create them via DED in F16, e.g.😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smire666 said:

Just for me is the prio. 1 release itself. What about problems with the negative height of the steerpoints at the Dead sea... Would be tough to create them via DED in F16, e.g.😁

Check out Syria and Sea of Galilee, which has got a surface elevation ~ −214.66 m (704.3 ft). In DCS, it is ~ positive 10 feet.

It will be the same / similar to all depressions in DCS but frankly all elevation data in DCS. For example Lake Qaraoun (Syria map) is also about 30 feet off from the official data, mostly lost due to mesh resolution I would think. 

In short, don't get too fixated about elevation in DCS.

• Like 3

On 4/6/2023 at 1:40 PM, cfrag said:

Thank you for the added information. So are you allowed to tell us how that area (dead sea basin) is represented in the map? IIRC, the dead sea's surface is 1300 ft (400m) below sea level, with the basin (surrounding area) gradually rising up to sea level. The entire basin area is much larger than the dead sea itself, and entirely below sea level. How is this modelled in the (soon-to-be purchased) Sinai map? As a big lake? As some slightly-above-zero-elevation desert with the actual dead sea a lake? Will, for example, Masada be a mountain fortress set high above the ground, or a fortification set on a hill above the surrounding area? 

Don't get me wrong, I'm just curious - there's no way I'm going to pass up this map; as a matter of fact, I suggest you release it now so I don't have to ask silly questions but can purchase and inspect in person 🙂

if we can't make surface mesh below 0, then our dead sea is at 0, you're right.

But the height maps in this place are honest, as soon as the ability to do below 0 is added, everything will fall to honest heights (we have done everything for this), all that remains is to build module again.

22 hours ago, Gierasimov said:

In short, don't get too fixated about elevation in DCS.

agree

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Nodak said:

Technically you can get below sea level in a huey, inside the wake of the biggest supertanker when its at speed.

Well, *technically* you can get below sea level in any plane. Just not for very long, and definitely without surviving. Just roll off a carrier. 🙂 

Edited by cfrag
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, cfrag said:

Well, *technically* you can get below sea level in any plane. Just not for very long, and definitely without surviving. Just roll off a carrier. 🙂 

hey.. why are you looking at me? 😄

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

21 minutes ago, liugl said:

It looks very different from what Google's satellite maps show

Yeah, it's not supposed to be 1:1 image copy but can you be more specific?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 2 weeks later...

The hype for this map was really building with preview videos from content producers on youtube, etc. I really thought release was right around the corner and then seemingly out of nowhere, Normandy 2.0 takes front and center. This seemed surprising. What happened? Has something occurred to delay the release of this map? Since Normandy 2.0, I haven't seen much about the status of Sinai. Is there any further news on when we can expect to see it? Thanks!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jarhead0331 said:

The hype for this map was really building with preview videos from content producers on youtube, etc. I really thought release was right around the corner and then seemingly out of nowhere, Normandy 2.0 takes front and center. This seemed surprising. What happened? Has something occurred to delay the release of this map? Since Normandy 2.0, I haven't seen much about the status of Sinai. Is there any further news on when we can expect to see it? Thanks!

my opinion: we made the map faster than it should have been)

Everything is going according to plan, we have slightly improved the map, added more new airfields, etc. Many things have been improved during this time based on review .. Wait for the official news. Stil work in progress, but Sinai map will be soon... (we are hope))

• Like 21