W.I.P Clouds

BIGNEWY

• ED Team
15 minutes ago, Germane said:

To be honest, I m very disappointed that we have seen nothing in the 2024 and beyond video 

Hi Germane, It is not always possible to fit everything in to the 2024 & beyond video. We will share more news about clouds and our plans for 2024 in a future newsletter.

thanks

• Like 8

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

To be honest, I m very disappointed that we have seen nothing in the 2024 and beyond video 

That doesn‘t have to mean anything. In 2023 the focus lasted on the core of DCS and I am sure that work on the clouds and dynamic weather continues. Let‘s wait and see what surprises the new year brings to us
  • Like 3

Am 8.1.2024 um 13:22 schrieb BIGNEWY:

Hi Germane, It is not always possible to fit everything in to the 2024 & beyond video. We will share more news about clouds and our plans for 2024 in a future newsletter.

thanks

Hi BIGNEWY, thank you for the answer.

Am 8.1.2024 um 13:24 schrieb Weasel:

That doesn‘t have to mean anything. In 2023 the focus lasted on the core of DCS and I am sure that work on the clouds and dynamic weather continues. Let‘s wait and see what surprises the new year brings to us emoji6.pngemoji1303.png

Yes but it is an indicator of how far along the development is. I also think they are working on the weather but I now think it is a further way than I thought

• Like 1

Yes but it is an indicator of how far along the development is. I also think they are working on the weather but I now think it is a further way than I thought

We don‘know anything about the progress of dynamic weather. It is quite possible that the dynamic weather is dependent on the development of vulcan and is therefore still very much under developement. I am sure that we get more information on this matter in a future newsletter
  • Like 1

From the latest newsletter... Improvements that are hopefully coming in '24...

"Weather. The weather focus for 2024 will be on a new fog system and towering clouds with appropriate line-of-sight blocking."

Woohhooooo!

• Like 7

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

18 hours ago, chaos said:

From the latest newsletter... Improvements that are hopefully coming in '24...

"Weather. The weather focus for 2024 will be on a new fog system and towering clouds with appropriate line-of-sight blocking."

Woohhooooo!

Nice! Would also love to see proper turbulence effects and icing especially when entering clouds. The flight itself is simply too smoth in DCS right now.

• Like 6

Could I ask t

On 1/8/2024 at 12:22 PM, BIGNEWY said:

thanks

BIGNEWY, could I ask, are there any plans at all to have different weather conditions at different parts of the map? Or at the very least different surface winds at different locations on the map?

Many Thanks!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

While we wait for ED's updated clouds, it is possible to enjoy more cloud variation made by a DCS enthusiast: 

Edited by MIghtymoo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Intel i9 13900K | RTX4090 | 64 Gb DDR4 3600 CL18 | 2Tb PCIe4.0 | Varjo Aero | Pico 4 on WIFI6e | Virtual Desktop running VDXR

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2023 at 3:59 AM, Viper33 said:

there is this clear grid pattern,

I am seeing a grid pattern too when looking from above on flat clouds. 

• Like 3

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Viper33 said:

What happened to the fog that was shown off 3 years ago?

It evaporated.

• Like 5

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

22 hours ago, Viper33 said:

Hero1.png.566317021eeef4d98f87c2254f06f6

What happened to the fog that was shown off 3 years ago?

What if it wasn't fog in the first place? Here's current DCS with Overcast & Rain 1 preset:

Screen_240503_164537.jpg

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 1/8/2024 at 12:22 PM, BIGNEWY said:

thanks

Any news about the future newsletter about weather?

The old "2023 and Beyond" newsletter.

Weather
Building upon the weather enhancements that were introduced with DCS 2.7, we have been further developing weather to include moving clouds and towering cumulus clouds and more sophisticated atmospheric phenomena. New fog and dust storms are being developed that are integral parts of the volumetric cloud system. The old DCS fog is a separate system that is calculated for a flat earth. It does not consider shadows from the terrain and clouds, so it has limitations. The new fog will be computed for a spherical earth and takes shadows into account. We also plan to optimize the volumetric clouds and increase their basic quality. A separate and complex project currently in development is the dynamic cloud generator which will then need to be integrated with the dynamic weather systems of low/high pressure systems and new/evolving cloud types. 

A later task, once the foundation is complete, will be to provide AI line of sight blocking in addition to light direction/scattering visibility limitations for AI.

• Like 3