Strange behaviour of shadows on 2.8

5ephir0th

7 minutes ago, Glide said:

With Terrain Shadows set to Default, I notice some strangeness around the shadow of the canopy.  The fuzzy shadow of the canopy on the ground in the first image seems to be happening to the tail section shadow as well.

In the second images, the shadows on the vertical services seem ok.

canopy shadow glitch.jpg

canopy shadow glitch wall.jpg

canopy shadow ground.jpg

In the first and third pic, you can see a clear line where the shadows don't render sharp anymore. Any shadow beyond that point is fuzzy. This does not happen in the second pic because your viewpoint is further to the front, so that transition is also further away. I'm pretty sure this has been happening this way for a very long time.

5 hours ago, XCNuse said:

Finally had a chance to update (flight group forced me). I am one of the people not experiencing this bug. Shadows do however appear very different (SUPER detailed compared to what they were). They are however disappearing at a pretty short (if I were to guess 100ish ft) range.

Images for comparisons.

Nvidia Control Panel is all defaults other than an adjusted max FPS (hence the no vsync)

As always I ensure FXO and metashaders are deleted (this time they oddly did not), and then rip through the encyclopedia and ME to cache all of the maps and vehicles.

EVGA 3070 XC3 on 522.25

image.png

null

null

image.png

You are not experiencing it, not because you clean te FXO and Metashader folder or the driver version, the bug of the see through shadows happens with Terrain Objects Shadows set to Off, its alreaady explained on the first post.

On Flat the problem its that it doesnt works as flat shadows but as default, thats why the people that use Flat shadows are experiencing a worse performance ass default Terrain objects shadows it's a performance killer

@Glide thats looks more of an aggressive use of LOD on shadows than a bug, it happen like that on VR but i always though that it wasnt so aggressive on 2D

Edited by 5ephir0th
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

44 minutes ago, 5ephir0th said:

You are not experiencing it, not because you clean te FXO and Metashader folder or the driver version, the bug of the see through shadows happens with Terrain Objects Shadows set to Off, its alreaady explained on the first post.

On Flat the problem its that it doesnt works as flat shadows but as default, thats why the people that use Flat shadows are experiencing a worse performance ass default Terrain objects shadows it's a performance killer

@Glide thats looks more of an aggressive use of LOD on shadows than a bug, it happen like that on VR but i always though that it wasnt so aggressive on 2D

I'm wondering if it's a combination of settings as well.  I had SSAO, SSLR and SSAA enabled.  I was thinking some kind of screen space reflection strangeness coming from the canopy glass.  I noticed just as I rolled up that the fuzziness goes away as the shadows move from the ground to the crates in the hangar.  More testing required.  2D is looking so good now!

2 minutes ago, Glide said:

I'm wondering if it's a combination of settings as well.  I had SSAO, SSLR and SSAA enabled.  I was thinking some kind of screen space reflection strangeness coming from the canopy glass.  I noticed just as I rolled up that the fuzziness goes away as the shadows move from the ground to the crates in the hangar.  More testing required.  2D is looking so good now!

I have none of those option activated, so it shouldnt be related

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

AH61Shadow.jpg

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

• ED Team

If the shadows for terrain objects is set to "off" the issue occurs. It doesn't happen with either "flat" or "standard" shadows on. 

We will have a fix in the next patch

thanks

threads merged

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

39 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

If the shadows for terrain objects is set to "off" the issue occurs. It doesn't happen with either "flat" or "standard" shadows on. 

We will have a fix in the next patch

thanks

threads merged

There are still issues with flat shadows though.

Static objects like trucks and parked aircraft doesn’t seem to render shadows reliable or rather randomly. Or maybe the render distance is like 50m around the camera. Will try to add a track and pictures later.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

• ED Team

we will continue to investigate, some have had fps drops some have had increases. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

13 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

we will continue to investigate, some have had fps drops some have had increases. 

Can we also get some idea of the split of closed beta testers that are actively using VR versus 2D please?

14900KS | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

• ED Team
3 minutes ago, zildac said:

Can we also get some idea of the split of closed beta testers that are actively using VR versus 2D please?

I dont have that data to share. 
We have many testers who are actively using VR including myself. 

thanks

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Thank you.

I was having a awesome performance for a very long time (VR user) and now DCS on my side is only flyable with Shadows to OFF (as a VR user i use always Flat Shadows). I hope you´ll sort it out.

The only thing regret is now i can´t use anymore Object Free Camera + Views Slow Up/Down/Left/Right (all binded to my gamepad) to enter in  objects/statics. I use those Views key biddings to simulate walking in first person. I used to go to the aircraf by bus (as in pic) or climb the boarding ladder and be real close to the plane while i do my walkaround in VR and now is not possible 😕 it blocks me from enter the statics or be real close to the aircraft.

nevertheless Keep up 🙂

Regards,

F.

BUS 1.png

Edited by fagulha
  • Like 1

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

for me the 2.8 update caused me this: crew it's ghost, and distorted color of the interface, on DCS OpenBeta. note that on the DCS version everything is normal ( CV 3090 driver NV 523.47 , I9 10900K, 64Gb memory, Pimax 8Kx)

Screen_221101_063248.jpg

Screen_221031_153154.jpg

MSI Z490 gaming Plus, I9 10900K, RTX 2080Ti inno3D, 64 Go GSKILL 3200 ,Pimax 5k+ ,Hotas Warthog Thrustmaster , rudder Thrust ,ssd ultimate 1to M2, 4 Hd

2 hours ago, Laurent Resende said:

for me the 2.8 update caused me this: crew it's ghost, and distorted color of the interface, on DCS OpenBeta. note that on the DCS version everything is normal ( CV 3090 driver NV 523.47 , I9 10900K, 64Gb memory, Pimax 8Kx)

Screen_221101_063248.jpg

Screen_221031_153154.jpg

You can disable Halloween easter egg by adding this line to your autoexec.cfg file (if it does not exist you need to create it): no_easter_eggs = true

Edited by fagulha
Adding info
  • Like 1

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

thank you for your answer fagulha, I restarted the simulation to check if this "Jock" was still present, but no, it had disappeared, and the colors of the interface became normal again!! the ghosts came home, until see you next alloween i presume

Edited by Laurent Resende
  • Like 1

MSI Z490 gaming Plus, I9 10900K, RTX 2080Ti inno3D, 64 Go GSKILL 3200 ,Pimax 5k+ ,Hotas Warthog Thrustmaster , rudder Thrust ,ssd ultimate 1to M2, 4 Hd

On 10/29/2022 at 3:16 PM, 5ephir0th said:

What this man said, I suspect people that saw no performance decrease or saw a increase where using default terrain shadows before 2.8 dropped, and those that saw performance decreases where using flat/off terrain shadows before 2.8 dropped. I myself on 2D have experienced decreased fps and was using flat terrain shadows prior to the update, because going from flat -> default was a huge performance killer.

• Like 1

Only partially.

OFF option has been fixed. You can turn off terrain objects shadows completely and get back the lost FPS. At a cost of no shadows on the ground. 

FLAT option is still broken as described in the first post, and still a massive performance hog.  

• Like 2

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil WarBRD, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

17 minutes ago, some1 said:

FLAT option is still broken as described in the first post, and still a massive performance hog.  

I don't see FLAT shadows superimposed over aircraft anymore. Are we OK that the only remainin issue is that FLAT shadows are being "replaced" by DEFAULT shadows? (one setting, two names)

EDIT: OK, the shadows being superimposed was only happening with Terrain Shadows OFF, right?

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.