2.8 loading textures takes a loooooong time.

Das Boot

No matter what I do I can't reproduce this in a custom mission

Closest I got is with every single aircraft spawned in a single mission and it takes 3-5 secs to load textures

In MP it takes 30ish secs to load 

Seems like it's limited to MP

Edit: I noticed that when I enter mission editor the map takes a while to load which I also noticed in MP. If the game loads the bugged part in mission editor it might explain why I can't reproduce the bug in SP 

Edited by bukizzzz

38 minutes ago, bukizzzz said:

No matter what I do I can't reproduce this in a custom mission

Closest I got is with every single aircraft spawned in a single mission and it takes 3-5 secs to load textures

In MP it takes 30ish secs to load 

Seems like it's limited to MP

Edit: I noticed that when I enter mission editor the map takes a while to load which I also noticed in MP. If the game loads the bugged part in mission editor it might explain why I can't reproduce the bug in SP 

I don´t fly MP right now. Yes, i use a lot the ME (i create all of my missions) and same issue, takes awhile to load the map textures in the ME, before 2.8 it didn´t happen, at least didn´t take DCS so long to load a map in ME.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

I'm also experiencing very long texture load times with the current beta.  I also noticed roughly a 5-10 fps performance hit across the board... which equates to roughly 10% on my system.

Asus ROG STRIX B550-F WIFI Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 5600x CPU
TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta 32GB DDR4
Samsung 980 PRo 1 TB M.2 SSD
PowerColor RX 6700 XT 12GB Hellhound GPU
Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Power Supply
Windows 11 Pro 22H2
SAMSUNG Odyssey G7 Series 27-Inch Gaming Monitor

• Like 2

Same. 
Could a fix be that the game loads more before we get control ? 
So "press play" Just means that and not a million things still loading 🙂

All ssd and 32 gig of ram, 1080 card. I7700k stock. 

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

To my test,2.7 need less than 2 sec from click "fly" to full load the terrain and model.2.8 need 5 sec and more.

My settings not change,same with 2.7.DO NOT TELL ME DELETE THE 3 FOLDERS IN MY GAMESAVE.

The important,my PC hardware not the bottleneck.

image.png

• GamingPC: Ryzen 5950X  + 64G RAM + Nvidia 4090 + 1T Dedicated SSD For DCS 
  • HOTAS: WingWin F15EX Throttle + VKB Gunfighter Mk.III Joystick + SN2 Rudder + TrackIR Pro
  • HomeServer: Dell R7515 (EPYC 7402 + 1 T RAM + 48T SSD Raid10 + Nvidia A40
  • Network: Google Fiber 2G

Updated to version 2.8.0.32937 yesterday, mission load times on my system have degraded further.  Finishing a mission and moving to another mission on another map also observing increased load times relative to the previous update.

Asus ROG STRIX B550-F WIFI Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 5600x CPU
TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta 32GB DDR4
Samsung 980 PRo 1 TB M.2 SSD
PowerColor RX 6700 XT 12GB Hellhound GPU
Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Power Supply
Windows 11 Pro 22H2
SAMSUNG Odyssey G7 Series 27-Inch Gaming Monitor

• Like 1

Something has changed in the last patch drastically

Just updated game + drivers so idk which one fixed it but im getting 5 secs load time on the server I used to get 30ish secs, and my avg fps is up from 45 high 20 low to 70 high 30 low in VR

Don't see anything related in the patch notes so im confused now lol

i noticed today that the paginating in layers happened in ME while viewing the loadout in the F-16. it really does not bother me. just adding to the evidence for informational purposes.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

I wonder to know if that's problem or feature. Because in unreal engine the asynchronyous texture streaming like here in DCS:World is very common. The advantage of limiting resouces to load textures is that there is reserve for other tasks, so the game will not freeze so much when the textures are loading. Also the texture streaming saves quite a lot of memory. Put texture loading on "second rail" was IMO one of the best ideas to reduce ammount of freezes while loading.

Edited by AJaromir

dcs.log

Since the reply was not 'we are aware of this' I will second the observation that render layer and/or texture load in times are definitely much slower for me in 2.8 as compared to 2.7 when jumping into a 'Client' slot cockpit (and in mission editor and in-mission maps for that matter).  Anecdotally I'll note that folks in my wing complain about this too.  For whatever reason it does not seem to happen with a 'Player' slot (perhaps happens in the background).

DCS log attached (freshly repaired unmodded DCS Open Beta, normal shader cache locations had been cleared out after latest update -- deleted dcs.log, launched DCS, loaded the map in the ME, launched the map, slotted into the F-16 client slot and waited for the image to appear normal, exited game, attached the dcs.log).

This was done on a mid-range machine, but it takes about the same amount of time to fully render the cockpit image on my 'beast' machine that I normally fly with (4090, m.2 gen4 SSD, etc).

(screenshots were taken on a subsequent run as not to influence the logs, but demonstrates what is happening on screen during the 5 seconds that render layers / textures are loading in)

Screen_221122_221606.jpg

Screen_221122_221605.jpg

Screen_221122_221604.jpg

Screen_221122_221603.jpg

Screen_221122_221602.jpg

also a video so the time it takes from picking a slot to textures finished loading can be noticed. this issue does not seem to affect every mission.

Video for loading textures.

Edited by silverdevil

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

On 11/12/2022 at 1:29 PM, okopanja said:

Just happened to me on Tempest, 50 players present, mig-29A...

Same issue on GS...

So it is not about which server, number of players might be a trigger, or specific air frames.

Nope not related to players I run 7 servers on different maps and they ALL do it , even with me as the only client.

4 hours ago, okopanja said:

Which livery?

Does it happen for you every time? (For me sometimes, it can be on and off even on a single server)

For me it doesn't matter what livery I use (all default ones) same ones I was using in 2.7 and didn't have this issue. This is definitely since 2.8 was released.

• 3 weeks later...

Same here.Big diffenrece between 2.7 to 2.8.

My post can merge. @BIGNEWY

Loading slow

Edited by zhouyut001
  • GamingPC: Ryzen 5950X  + 64G RAM + Nvidia 4090 + 1T Dedicated SSD For DCS 
  • HOTAS: WingWin F15EX Throttle + VKB Gunfighter Mk.III Joystick + SN2 Rudder + TrackIR Pro
  • HomeServer: Dell R7515 (EPYC 7402 + 1 T RAM + 48T SSD Raid10 + Nvidia A40
  • Network: Google Fiber 2G

11 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

I am unable to reproduce this personally. 

I can reproduce the issue, but I'm not sure how we can debug this one. We first need to understand why some have it and some don't.

• Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

2 hours ago, Flappie said:

I can reproduce the issue, but I'm not sure how we can debug this one. We first need to understand why some have it and some don't.

In SP missions where there is no slot choice (instant action etc) then it's an instant texture load, if there is a slot choice then it takes about 3-5 seconds to fully load the textures.

In MP I've seen it take 10-12 seconds.

Spec is in signature running with high texture settings.

• Thanks 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Mine is hit or miss, sometimes say in liberation or DCE on any given mission everything will load right in. Some missions will take a long time. In MP on say Flashpoint-Levant with a half full server, loading on to a carrier in the av8b takes a long time, every time, several ending in crashes. But I cannot reproduce the texture load issue otherwise, consistently,  to point to an airframe, map, SP or MP. It was definitely not a thought in my mind in 2.7 The longest lag may have been 5-8seconds. But in 2.8 I have experienced up to 15-20seconds sometimes. Its usually quick enough that its not worrisome, but it is noticeably more across the board. Once they’re there, everything runs smooth as can be. I run world preload fairly high so I suppose that can be part of it too with the new clouds and calculations associated with them.. maybe 🤷‍♂️

Does posting a log file or track when it happens help anyone out? I don’t imagine this is something that can really be shown in that way. But if there’s any system info, logs, game logs etc to provide, I’m happy to share.

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones