DCS now supports OpenXR natively

BIGNEWY

I tried applying the "force Open" setting as in the first post but get a "target file" error in Windows when I try applying.  Is it necessary to apply that force notation or is there another method to apply?  Or am I possibly doing it wrong?

Are there clear step by step instructions available on how to change DCS to use the native OpenXR? Or if not could someone post them please, I'm using a Reverb G2.

Currently if i check my dcs.log file it says VISUALIZER (Main): LAUNCH IN VR OpenVR: OpenVR 

I would like to revert to DCS using Native OpenXR with the updated OpenXR Toolkit but am not sure how to change back

Cheers

• Like 1

🖥️  i9-10900K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 64GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090 Ti 24GB GDDR6X, Samsung 970 Evo Plus M2 PCIe SSD,  🥽 HP Reverb G2 v2 
 🕹️ VPC WarBRD, VPC Constellation ALPHA-R, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Logitech Flight Rudder Pedals 🗺️ FC3, A-10C II Tank Killer, F-14 Tomcat  Syria, Nevada, Persian Gulf

Short question.

Anyone got flickering since the last update?

The native OpenXR-support worked for me for two days without problems, but yesterday my HMD started flickering in the main-menu. When clicking on instantAction, one eye of my HMD started going grey for a moment and back to normal at high pace. Sometimes both eyes started to flicker and then only the other eye did flicker. I did a mission and there it did not happen. strange.

Tried then another VR-game and that worked without a problem, so my HMD is not broken.

16 minutes ago, QuozL said:

Are there clear step by step instructions available on how to change DCS to use the native OpenXR? Or if not could someone post them please, I'm using a Reverb G2.

Alter the shortcut of dcs.exe like in attached pic. Not dcs-updater.exe. Put a space before --force_enable etc.

Screenshot_20230201_092640_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 2

• ED Team
39 minutes ago, dutchili said:

@BIGNEWY I see a lot of questions here to ED on how to configure for various setups. But no response from ED yet. I would appreciate it if you could provide guidance or state that it will come some day, instead of ignoring the questions.

Everything you need is in the first post, and thanks to mbucchia the second post is also helpful. 

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

42 minutes ago, jurinko said:

Alter the shortcut of dcs.exe like in attached pic. Not dcs-updater.exe. Put a space before --force_enable etc.

Screenshot_20230201_092640_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ok I have created a shortcut from DCS.exe and added those parameters.

How do I remove DCS from the Open Composite app to stop it using that?

Do I need to do a repair on DCS so it is running the correct .dll as mentioned a couple of pages back?

Finally should I now always run DCS from the newly created and modified dcs.exe shortcut or once the paramteres are in there do I still use the original DCS_updater.exe shortcut??

Apologies for all the questions I just want to make sure I get this right

🖥️  i9-10900K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 64GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090 Ti 24GB GDDR6X, Samsung 970 Evo Plus M2 PCIe SSD,  🥽 HP Reverb G2 v2 
 🕹️ VPC WarBRD, VPC Constellation ALPHA-R, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Logitech Flight Rudder Pedals 🗺️ FC3, A-10C II Tank Killer, F-14 Tomcat  Syria, Nevada, Persian Gulf

• ED Team
12 minutes ago, dutchili said:

@BIGNEWYthe command line parameters don't work for the Steam addition, in combination with Oculus Quest 2. 

I dont own the quest 2 to test it, but I will ask our testers and see what they say and get back to you

• Like 2

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

2 minutes ago, QuozL said:

Ok I have created a shortcut from DCS.exe and added those parameters.

How do I remove DCS from the Open Composite app to stop it using that?

Do I need to do a repair on DCS so it is running the correct .dll as mentioned a couple of pages back?

Finally should I now always run DCS from the newly created and modified dcs.exe shortcut or once the paramteres are in there do I still use the original DCS_updater.exe shortcut??

Apologies for all the questions I just want to make sure I get this right

if you look in the log as you were before, if it says openxr then it worked and you are using the native openxr.   You could run the updater by itself when you need to update.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GOZR said:

I got more fps with steamVR smooth  OpenXR is choppy

What headset are you using? I'm using Valve Index and never had issues with steamvr and works great. I think valve headsets and steamvr are well optimized.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

43 minutes ago, QuozL said:

I could run both native OpenXR and opencomposite with two different shortcuts using the opencomposite DLL so I don't think you have to.

For tidiness I just copied the original DLL back into the bin folder once native was fixed for me with motion reprojection.

To save running a repair I have attached the current Openbeta dll. Just copy it to your DCS World OpenBeta installation\bin folder

openvr_api.dll

1 hour ago, GOZR said:

I got more fps with steamVR smooth  OpenXR is choppy

Apologies if already done but one thing to check is whether you are running at the same resolution.

Mine wasn't!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

40 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

I could run both native OpenXR and opencomposite with two different shortcuts using the opencomposite DLL so I don't think you have to.

For tidiness I just copied the original DLL back into the bin folder once native was fixed for me with motion reprojection.

To save running a repair I have attached the current Openbeta dll. Just copy it to your DCS World OpenBeta installation\bin folder

I did a full repair, then ran the game from the DCS.exe shortcut, the parameter is in there
"C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe" -force_enable_VR -force_OpenXR

The game ran fine but I'm sure it ran in OpenVR. As a test what I did was in OpenXR toolkit I had unticked Enable OpenXR toolkit selectively for each application for the OpenVR version and left it ticked for the OpenXR version and when I pressed Ctrl F2 it didn't open the toolkit in game.
Also When I checked the DCS.log it still said VISUALIZER (Main): LAUNCH IN VR OpenVR: OpenVR :

Not sure what else I need to do to get it to run in native OpenXR????

In open Composite I have set the DCS icon use default runtime but I'm not sure if I should just be switching the default staus back to SteamVR in there or Leaving it as Open Composite or uninstalling Open Composite entirely.

Any help appreciated

13 minutes ago, QuozL said:

I did a full repair, then ran the game from the DCS.exe shortcut, the parameter is in there
"C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe" -force_enable_VR -force_OpenXR

Check --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR

Each parameter starts with two  --

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Botik85 said:

Check --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR

Each parameter starts with two  --

Yep that was it, thanks, all working now

VISUALIZER (Main): LAUNCH IN VR OpenXR: Windows Mixed Reality

Lastly: Still curious if there is any need to have Open Composite installed? All I play is DCS and iRacing and am using native OpenXR in both so can I just uninstall Open Composite now?

Edited by QuozL

Copy and paste, man! 😉

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

1 hour ago, MarkyMarkUK said:

On WMR + G2 I on about 72 FRP (was 50-60) but it's got loads of micro stutter so needs reprojection but, when you turn it on in OpenXR Tools, DCS crashes at the main menu.

Which version of the OXR Toolkit are you using...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Just got over the 24hr wait period for my first post, but I just joined to give a massive shoutout to @BIGNEWY and @mbucchia. I am super excited to have native OpenXR, despite the bumps in the road. Bugs are easy to deal with, and it was a non issue rolling back to OpenComposite. I know you both probably put a lot of time (even personal time) into finding a resolution for these minor bugs. I've seen a lot frustration and rudeness by community members (not just here), but not much feedback/support to help the situation.

So again, just a big thank you to you folks and and the surprise native OpenXR support. Very much appreciated. 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Zebra1-1 said:

Just got over the 24hr wait period for my first post, but I just joined to give a massive shoutout to @BIGNEWY and @mbucchia. I am super excited to have native OpenXR, despite the bumps in the road. Bugs are easy to deal with, and it was a non issue rolling back to OpenComposite. I know you both probably put a lot of time (even personal time) into finding a resolution for these minor bugs. I've seen a lot frustration and rudeness by community members (not just here), but not much feedback/support to help the situation.

So again, just a big thank you to you folks and and the surprise native OpenXR support. Very much appreciated. 

What do they say about a week in politics? It seems an eternity in the DCS World!

• Like 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

• ED Team
19 minutes ago, Zebra1-1 said:

No problem, and we have a great community here, always helping each other out and sharing new info and workarounds.

I am sure there will be wore tweaks to come, we also want to move away from command lines in the future as not everyone is tech savy. 

thanks

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Wali763 said:

Short question.

The native OpenXR-support worked for me for two days without problems, but yesterday my HMD started flickering in the main-menu. When clicking on instantAction, one eye of my HMD started going grey for a moment and back to normal at high pace. Sometimes both eyes started to flicker and then only the other eye did flicker. I did a mission and there it did not happen. strange.

Tried then another VR-game and that worked without a problem, so my HMD is not broken.

I do have a huge amount of flickering, it's unplayable, the game start with the cockpit view from inside the seat, the mouse cursor is barely usable to a point where I have to use the desktop manager to stop the game.

So, we need half a dozen apps to play this game in VR when it should be simple: Go to desktop Icon, click launch, click option start in VR get Pico Streaming Assistant without Steam or another app making a mess of it and yeah, I forgot, there is yet another potential source of interference: AMD Software Adrenalin has its own Gaming options with Launch.

So unless the whole process is simplified with less risks of errors due to different apps trying to take over, people will experience issues, I already notified Pico of it...

Crashes, low performances and image quality with a £2000+ system, I'm not too happy of this situation, just a reminded; VR headset developers are well aware of it, they know that big corporations such as Microsoft and Steam are trying to dominate and that's one of the reason we're in this shr!te, Pico have relied on other devs for their headset and it's a mistake.

AMD-launch.jpg

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

11 hours ago, Wali763 said:

Short question.

I had a very similar issue with a G1, it started with Half Life Alyx and after 10 mins or so one eye of the headset would go grey then come back intermittently. It turned out to be the cable and HP replaced it under warranty. 
Touching wood, the same G1 is working perfectly with DCS and native OpenXR support.