Is this what 600 knots really feels like?

RODEO5150
Go to solution Solved by sthompson,

Is it just my pc or does it seem like dcs aircraft just kinda float through the sky instead of haulin ass like 3-600 knots should feel like.

My PC Build.....

Asus Rog Strix hero viii w/wifi • Ryzen 9 5900X, AIO cooled • Asus Rog Strix RTX 2080 08G Gaming Triple Gpu • 4x8gb Adata 3600Mhz Ram • 250gb Adata M.2. Both vr and monitor

• Solution

Neither. It's a consequence of flying high with an unrealistic FOV setting. Set your FOV to something realistic, which for most people using 2D monitors will be zoomed in pretty far. (This is realistic in terms of angular views, but will feel like tunnel vision because you can't have both good peripheral vision and realistic FOV angles at the same time with a 2D monitor.) Then fly low and fast and look at your 3-9 line. You will see the speed. Also at 12 o'clock if you are low enough.

• Like 2

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

yeah, we get this in VR too. Even at 100+FOV, it's tunnel vision. Not much of a solution available aside from waiting for wide FOV headsets to get affordable. (and PCs to power them)

Edited by A2597
  • Like 1

Well, DCS World is not alone in this, I have watched a video that racing sims are worse, no sense of speed. Increasing FoV helps, so does proper motion blur. But afaik, the latter does not work in VR.

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

2 hours ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Well, DCS World is not alone in this, I have watched a video that racing sims are worse, no sense of speed. Increasing FoV helps, so does proper motion blur. But afaik, the latter does not work in VR.

The sense of speed in Vr is generally very good as VR always uses the correct FOV.  Certainly in Assetto Corsa the improvement of speed perception in Vr is quite remarkable.  I find DCS pretty good in speed perception as long as my frame rates stay at 45fps or above.  

Fly in the weeds and it soon gets a bit intense. 🙂

• Like 2

It certainly does, although mind you, trees in Caucasus are huge. I think ED enlarged them at one point to reduce their numbers and decrease the forests' performance impact. It's especially obvious when doing helo ops near them, a tree in the middle of town looks like it came out of a century old forest. So when flying over Caucasus forests specifically, this throws off the sense of scale. 

Over urban areas, or newer maps with more realistic trees, VR does give you that sense of speed.

• Like 5

I tried that showing the BossTM (aka My Wife) how A-4E-C flown at over 300 knots at an altitude of 100ft, in Quest2, Caucasus map. First comment I got was, it wasn't that fast. I guess we have gone a long way from here.

Edited by VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants
  • Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Speed doesn't feel like anything as your frame of reference is in rest. You'll only be able to register the rate of change (acceleration) or a perceivable motion vs. another frame of reference, e.g. clouds going by or trees (other fixed objects) on the ground. Hence, your percieved angular motion.

This training film (in German) shows the differences in percieved speed (airspeed = iso at 420kts) at different altitudes:

0:50 - 100ft

3:10 - 250ft

5:50 - 500ft

7:30 - 1000ft

Yes, we do need an Alpha Jet A!

• Like 4

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

This short video is a great visualisation of how FOV changes our perception of speed.

• Like 8

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

I am not sure in the Alpha Jet video is really at 420kts...And I heard that a version AlphaJet is in development by Split-Air.

And let me bring out the video I was talking about regarding the sense of speed...

• Like 4

I am not sure in the Alpha Jet video is really at 420kts

It's said in the video and you can see it in the HUD. At times, as the rez of the video blows.

And I heard that a version AlphaJet is in development by Split-Air.

The E model, which lacks the HUD, the Doppler nav/attack (incl. CCIP) suite and the additional oomph of the Larzac C20 engines. Anong other features.

• Like 2

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

Well, sorry for my English, I meant it did not feel like so.

If it would be Alpha Jet E, it would be a shame.

21 hours ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Well, sorry for my English, I meant it did not feel like so.

Fov, the whole thread explains it, doesn't it?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

While FOV does have a lot to say.

It also varieres immensely from plane to plane.

Flying 400mph in P51 even at 20k feet feels faster than flying mach 1.3 in an F16 at 20k feet.

Flying an F86 at 400knots above the tree tops feels faster than flying an F16 at 800knots over the tree tops.

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

3 minutes ago, skywalker22 said:

What FOV should be fine for 1080p monitor for example?

I also have VR, and I tried everything, but the speed just doesn't seem fast enough.

There's no single "fine" fov for the monitor - it is highly subjective. If you want the feeling of speed - set it to max. If you want realistic angular sizes - set it to real fov. https://www.fov-calculator.com/

As for VR - it also depends on the headset fov but maybe you're just expecting too much?

• Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

51 minutes ago, skywalker22 said:

What FOV should be fine for 1080p monitor for example?

I also have VR, and I tried everything, but the speed just doesn't seem fast enough.

I think, you simply have the wrong expectations. You probably don't have a proper frame of reference (I assume, unless you have flight experience).
As many rightfully explained by now - the FOV has great influence on the (visual) perception of speed. Other than that speed can't be felt. What we grew up with and therefore associate with speed are either resistances (air, water, sand....) or all kinds of micro accelerations (bumps) due to the direct contact to the road. You don't have that here.

The further you are away from the ground, the less you can perceive speed at all (without secondary clues as above).

You are probably searching for that thrill ride feeling that some hollywood scenes suggest - but they work with tricks like FOV (obviously), accelerated playback, and first and foremost sound.

• Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Last time I travelled with an airliner my 4 year old daughter was asking me why the plane is standing still and not moving at all, when we where in the flight levels... She could not feel the speed, so even in real life, perception of speed can be like that.. 

Specs:

Intel i7 3770k 3.5Ghz, Nvidia GTX980 4GB, 8gb RAM

Thank you all for all the comment and solutions. So by increase my FOV, do you mean move the slider to the left? or the  right?. Cuz in SGW3 if you want to be zoomed in you slide the FOV all the way off to left. So I just want to be clear on which way I am to slide in DCS. 

thanks again guys

I know the sense of speed is FOV related, as in real life, but we do have a huge scale issue with the trees.

Trees are way too big, so we wrongly estimate the size of all other things.  The sense of speed is really  impacted at low altitude.

I always turn the road traffic on. It gives a proper scale and brings back the sense of speed as soon as I fly over cars. 

Edited by pixie
  • Like 1