[NO LONGER PASSES IC] Improved Contact Dot Spotting (Updated v1.1)

Why485

Is this better? Poll for NineLine  

682 members have voted

1. 1. Is this mod an improvement?

• Seems better to me
    • Seems the same to me
    • Seems worse to me

Spotting has long been a bug bear of mine. It's probably one of the reasons why I found MP play so frustrating - I was finding it very hard to see the enemy before they saw me. Of course, practice helps - but it was clear to me that the graphics weren't helping at all. Now with this mod I can actually spot aircraft in what feels like a realistic manner. It still requires work, which is good, but it is now possible to do. And most importantly, ED, the spotting help makes me want to play the game more. This mod has improved the experience and made MP combat fun again. Not overly easy, which no-one wants, just fun. Please do not let the devs ban this mod with the integrity check. It's been a major factor in making MP flying fun for me.

• Like 2

PC specs:

I play on 1440p and this has made it much easier for me to spot enemies WVR. Before I either had the choice to be blind as a bat or see anything up to 50 miles out with the unrealistic dot labels. It's now much more enjoyable to play the game, as I get to engage bandits visually while retaining graphical fidelity and immersiveness. I think that the fact that bandits are less visible at BVR range is great. The only downside to this mod is that missiles and aircraft are virtually indistinguishable at a distance. It'd be great if the size of the object was reflected in the dot. But I understand this is a DCS limitation only ED can resolve.

Edited by BreakLux
  • Like 3

Couple improvements if it was added to game officially

1.) Occluded by clouds- right now it seems to work through them

2.) Do not apply to missiles, people parachuting, ect.

I think its great and allows me to properly enjoy DCS at 4k. I tested flying warbirds.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Padinn said:

Couple improvements if it was added to game officially

1.) Occluded by clouds- right now it seems to work through them

This is a known issue in the DCS multithreading build even without this mod. If you switch back to the DCS singlethreading build, you won't see this issue.

Edited by Sarowa
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Sarowa said:

This is a known issue in the DCS multithreading build even without this mod. If you switch back to the DCS singlethreading build, you won't see this issue.

Dots visibility does not have anything to do with ST/MT.

Intel i9 13900K | RTX4090 | 64 Gb DDR4 3600 CL18 | 2Tb PCIe4.0 | Varjo Aero | Pico 4 on WIFI6e | Virtual Desktop running VDXR

35 minutes ago, MIghtymoo said:

Dots visibility does not have anything to do with ST/MT.

It does when it comes to seeing spotting dots through clouds. I tested it myself. This issue appears in MT but not ST.

Edited by Sarowa
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sarowa said:

It does when it comes to seeing spotting dots through clouds. I tested it myself. This issue appears in MT but not ST.

Ah, i was wondering why I had laser vision through clouds 😞

Tested the mod, and it's great to be able to spot units easier, completely changes the way to fight.

But also, it gives the mod user a massive advantage over everyone not using it, so it should be integrated to the base game for everyone, or moved to the IC.
I also feel with the mod it's too easy to spot other planes, especially in VR. Doesn't feel realistic. 

Edited by Nirvi

4 hours ago, Enigma89 said:

This may be the only time in history something has polled at 95% in agreement... Not even 95% of people like ham.

I don't know about the others, but I voted because it's an attempt at fixing a long lasting broken DCS feature (spotting), that is considered by its developers as "correct as is". The mod is not perfect, but it's better than vanilla.

2 hours ago, Nirvi said:

Tested the mod, and it's great to be able to spot units easier, completely changes the way to fight.

But also, it gives the mod user a massive advantage over everyone not using it, so it should be integrated to the base game for everyone, or moved to the IC.
I also feel with the mod it's too easy to spot other planes, especially in VR. Doesn't feel realistic. 

I hope it may then be integrated into DCS, because if airquake's balance is more important and prevents the community from fixing spotting, that'd be a shame.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just tried it for a flight on ECW and it's an extreme improvement on 2560x1440. So much easier to spot contacts within 20km even against the ground. Maybe it is a little too easy, comparing it to other flight sims but definitly a big step in the right direction compared to stock.

13 hours ago, Nirvi said:

it's easier WVR, and doesn't let you lose the enemy plane which is just in front of you.

But in bvr as explained by the author it is much more difficult now

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

1 hour ago, VirusAM said:

it's easier WVR, and doesn't let you lose the enemy plane which is just in front of you.

But in bvr as explained by the author it is much more difficult now

That sounds far more realistic to me. 

• Like 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

9 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

Am I the only one experiencing shaking dots on missiles I fire?  I'm using 2X MSAA and VR.

Yes, I confirm, on airplanes, too. The dot size is also too big on the HP Reverb G2. I changed the point size multiplier in line 84: float2 scaledDotSize = onePixelSize * sizeMultiplier * controlPixel;

Looks better.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

That sounds far more realistic to me. 

and for me as well...I was just replying to the user above

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

The customer isn't always right.

But when 95% of your customers are trying to tell you something, it's usually good to at least listen.

This has made 1440p a FAR more playable experience. It's not perfect, but it's a big improvement imo.

• Like 8

On 4/24/2023 at 1:22 PM, Sarowa said:

this is the issue with core DCS and has nothing to do with the mod itself.

Without the mod I can see dots thru the clouds as it is.

edit: i see them thru the clouds when they are Faaar away, i.e. a single pixel for AC that shows up 30nm away. Once the plane gets closer and crosses the magic broken LOD boundary it is no longer visible.

Edited by peachmonkey
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, peachmonkey said:

this is the issue with core DCS and has nothing to do with the mod itself.

Without the mod I can see dots thru the clouds as it is.

If you scroll 2 posts above the one you quoted you'll see I'm aware this bug occurs without the mod.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MoleUK said:

The customer isn't always right.

But when 95% of your customers are trying to tell you something, it's usually good to at least listen.

This has made 1440p a FAR more playable experience. It's not perfect, but it's a big improvement imo.

Sadly they'll probably lock it behind IC, and implement no changes.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2023 at 11:46 PM, JohnnyST said:

Yes, I confirm, on airplanes, too. The dot size is also too big on the HP Reverb G2. I changed the point size multiplier in line 84: float2 scaledDotSize = onePixelSize * sizeMultiplier * controlPixel;

Looks better.

what multiplier did you use?

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11