Eagle Dynamics "modular" dedicated server installer

• ED Team

Eagle Dynamics "modular" dedicated server installer can now be downloaded for free from our website.
Stable
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/server/

The main differences from previous all-in-one installs are:

• Supports installation and uninstallation of the terrain modules

• No longer requires special command line arguments. To start the server you just need to run:
    .\bin\DCS_server.exe

NOTE: the update, repair, install and uninstall operations are handled by .\bin\DCS_updater.exe application as usual.

Switching the existing installation

To switch the existing install of the dedicated server to the new-style install you need to execute the following command line once:

.\bin\DCS_updater.exe update "@dcs_server"

This will switch the update channel of your dedicated server to the new one and convert the list of modules from the single DEDICATED_SERVER one to separate modules. 

NOTE: switching back to the all-in-one installation is not supported.

Installation of a module

To install a module currently you have to use the following command line in the server install folder:

.\bin\DCS_updater.exe install MODULE1_id MODULE2_id ...

Example:

.\bin\DCS_updater.exe install SYRIA_terrain MARIANAISLANDS_terrain

Uninstallation of a module

To uninstall a module currently you should use the command line as well:

.\bin\DCS_updater.exe uninstall MODULE1_id MODULE2_id ...

Example:

.\bin\DCS_updater.exe uninstall CAUCASUS_terrain

List of available modules

Module name Install/Uninstall id
Supercarrier SUPERCARRIER
WWII Units pack WWII-ARMOUR
Caucasus CAUCASUS_terrain
Nevada Test and Training Range NEVADA_terrain
Normandy 1944 NORMANDY_terrain
Persian Gulf PERSIANGULF_terrain
The Channel THECHANNEL_terrain
Syria SYRIA_terrain
Mariana Islands MARIANAISLANDS_terrain
South Atlantic FALKLANDS_terrain
Sinai  SINAIMAP_terrain

• Like 17
  • Thanks 10

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I uninstalled several terrains in one line  (./DCS_updater.exe uninstall MODULE1_id MODULE2_id ... ).  The program reported success.  Was it intended for me to need to manually delete the folders after as well?  Or was the executable supposed to do that for me?

Edited by SnappyComebacks

• ED Team
10 часов назад, SnappyComebacks сказал:

Was it intended for me to need to manually delete the folders after as well? 

Please don't add, remove or edit files inside installed server - it's direct way to get issues. Use repair procedure (./bin/dcs_updater repair) instead 

• Like 1

Men may keep a sort of level of good, but no man has ever been able to keep on one level of evil. That road goes down and down.  
Можно держаться на одном уровне добра, но никому и никогда не удавалось удержаться на одном уровне зла. Эта дорога ведёт вниз и вниз.

G.K. Chesterton

DCS World 2.5: Часто задаваемые вопросы

• ED Team
4 minutes ago, Jakko said:

@USSR_Rik

after switching from the current version to the modular server, can you continue to run multiple servers (instances) as usual?

e.g.
DCS_server.exe -w server1
DCS_server.exe -w server2

Yes you can still run multiple instances 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I have way enought space to install just all. Would there be an advantage for me to switch to the new server-model?

Main-Module: F-16C, AH-64D

Maps: Syria, Persian Gulf, South Atlantic, Caucasus, 1944 Normandy, NTTR

Hardware: VKB Gunfighter mk.2 Pro, WinWing Orion F16, VKB T-Rudder, HP Reverb G2

PC Specs: Intel 13900K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-5800 RAM, GeForce RTX 4090, Win 11x64

4 hours ago, MarkP said:

I have way enought space to install just all. Would there be an advantage for me to switch to the new server-model?

AFAIK the only advantage to the new system is being able to not install some maps.  Potentially saves download bandwith and space on drive, but no other advantages I am aware of.

On 4/24/2023 at 7:33 PM, Wrecking Crew said:

Is there a way to see what modules are installed?  (Maybe I missed it?)

Terrains go to  \INSTALL FOLDER\Mods\terrains

Other stuff go to \INSTALL FOLDER\\Mods\tech

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

On 4/22/2023 at 7:19 AM, MarkP said:

Our dedicated hosting only got 2x450Gb RAID0. On a DCS scale, that's not much. Maps flown are 70% Syria, 15% Persian Gulf, 14% Caucasus (mostly trainings) and the remaining 1% (probably generous)...a bit of Falklands. Normandy and The Channel, Nevada and Marianas have been 0%. Not sure how Normandy 2.0 will do but I am not seeing a lot of missions so far on this. Not to mention that Sinai is coming (for which I expect to see a lot of activity if it is as good as Syria for helicopters) and Northern Europe (not too sure about this one). So yes, arbitration is required and being able to remove all those unused maps is very welcome.

Edited by BaD CrC

when the stable update comes today, is the new normandy 2 map automatically installed?
or is the modular server now also available for the stable version?

e.g.

.\bin\DCS_updater.exe update "@dcs_server.stable"  ???

Hello Big!
I noticed that when installing SINAI on my server, the download says it will download 35GB (59GB when unzipped), which is the exact same size as in the playable installation folder on my client. I thought the server maps are smaller caused by missing textures and so on ... ?

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1