DCS Newsletter Discussion 21st April 2023 - Normandy 2.0

BIGNEWY

• ED Team

DCS Newsletter Discussion 21st April 2023 - Normandy 2.0 

Patch notes are live, newsletter will be a little later than usual today, thank you

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

The Normandy 2 FAQ includes the question "How big is DCS: Normandy 2.0 compared to the DCS: Normandy 1944 map?"

Could someone answer this question as it pertains to disk space? For example, I'd like to know how much more disk space I need for Normandy 1 1944 with the new enhancements compared to the old Normandy map, and same question for Normandy 2.0. My SSD is close to full.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

3 minutes ago, sthompson said:

The Normandy 2 FAQ includes the question "How big is DCS: Normandy 2.0 compared to the DCS: Normandy 1944 map?"

Could someone answer this question as it pertains to disk space? For example, I'd like to know how much more disk space I need for Normandy 1 1944 with the new enhancements compared to the old Normandy map, and same question for Normandy 2.0. My SSD is close to full.

I'm not able to tell you how much bigger the new map is, but on my SSD, the new map occupies just under 44 GB.

What is this supposed to tell me? I haven't pulled the trigger at first as it kinda confudes me, just echcked in DCS and I don't have it yet rainbowdashwink.png (left the typos I really fathoofed for the pun intentionally... rdlaugh.png)

dcs-n2-already-2.gif

dcs-n2-already-1.jpg

My wild guess: Normandy 2 has the same SKU ID Normandy 1 previously had, so it thinks I got it already... I'll gladly dump my $10 now on this dealwithit.png

• Like 1

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

1 hour ago, Steel Jaw said:

Is this a good map for a Hornet Driver?

no, because it's set in 1944. there are a lot of promising modern map in development and i could not think of any reason to prefer normandy over them if you're not interested in the warbirds...

Absolutely no reason you can't do modern scenarios with this. I plan on using it extensively for early to mid cold war.

This isn't strictly a warbirds map

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

When I saw tis was finally available earlier today, I thought "YES!" and I completed the transaction to add it to my other terrain choices. However, since I was not home and on a smartphone at the time, I couldn't do the download. When I got home, I immediately fired this puppy up and went to the EA site, logged in and verified the module was all paid for and mine to download. Fine.....but where to download it from? The only link is to the open beta World 2.8 (which I run) that must be version 2.8.4 or later (which I have). The only message I receive is the same one Eldur posted above stating it's not compatible with Steam (I'm not running the Steam version of DCS). I've logged into the game (both ST and MT versions) and neither indicates Normandy 2.0 is present or available anywhere I look. What seems to be the problem here......?

25 minutes ago, Wulf103 said:

When I saw tis was finally available earlier today, I thought "YES!" and I completed the transaction to add it to my other terrain choices. However, since I was not home and on a smartphone at the time, I couldn't do the download. When I got home, I immediately fired this puppy up and went to the EA site, logged in and verified the module was all paid for and mine to download. Fine.....but where to download it from? The only link is to the open beta World 2.8 (which I run) that must be version 2.8.4 or later (which I have). The only message I receive is the same one Eldur posted above stating it's not compatible with Steam (I'm not running the Steam version of DCS). I've logged into the game (both ST and MT versions) and neither indicates Normandy 2.0 is present or available anywhere I look. What seems to be the problem here......?

The complete map was already packed for everyone who owned Normandy 1 inside yesterday's massive OB patch. Some people just have access to high-details and some don't, depending on purchases. So it's on your computer already, or at least should be if your purchase went through properly. Verify if the map is visible in your module manager installed "terrains" tab (should show: "DCS Normandy 2", same as in your E-shop account) and if it is, it means you can play it without downloading anything extra.

Edited by Art-J
  • Thanks 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

13 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

Is this a good map for a Hornet Driver?

Yes!

I think it's good for any plane or chopper because it's an excellent looking map and great fun to fly on. And if I end up taking out a convoy of Panzers with my Hornet, so be it. No one can tell me not to. And it's going to be da bomb! for choppers. The detail is wonderful.

I find new maps make all the planes and choppers feel new as well. 

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

5 minutes ago, Steel Jaw said:

ok now…hows VR performance dare i ask?

I have not seen any change in VR Performance on my end, stayed the same.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

8 hours ago, Wulf103 said:

You need to update your Openbeta installation. Normandy 2.0 is apparently part of the update if you already have Normandy 1.0 installed. It isn't installed seprately and does not appear separately in the module manager. Purchasing Normandy 2.0 appears to just unlock the hi-res features. (All of this might be different for Steam users.)

1 hour ago, Wulf103 said:

Sorry Art-J....went there but no such entry is in the module manager. The Normandy and Channel maps appear as they always have. 

That's correct, but if you have done the DCS update then Normandy is now the high res version, and purchasing Normandy 2.0 unlocks the hi-res features.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

1 hour ago, Steel Jaw said:

ok now…hows VR performance dare i ask?

I fly pancake, as someone here calls it, and performance in 2D is good. Haven't' done any stress testing yet, but I'm sure I can make my rig cry with this map.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!