Sinai Map OUT! 🌞

YoYo

wow i thought Normandy2 was great this just as good maybe a little better performance is awesome locked on 90fps without lowering a thing now that's impressive.

congrats OnReTech you guys know your stuff  👌

Edited by Kiwi_Viper
  • Thanks 1

Ryzen 7 7800x3D with AIO, RTX4080 Eagle OC, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz HP Reverb G2 & Pico4 Windows 11 Pro

I'm here, yesterday was a hard day!
I read the reviews, thanks everyone!
Today I will start answering the forum and questions. The weekend is coming up so there will be plenty of time!

Amazing map! Y'all blew it out the water

Is there a plan to add cities and airports to Lebanon? The map goes as far north as Beirut, but there's nothing there.

Obviously this could prove a little redundant since we already have Syria, just wondering if it's planned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, peterbrownbyu said:

Amazing map! Y'all blew it out the water

Is there a plan to add cities and airports to Lebanon? The map goes as far north as Beirut, but there's nothing there.

Obviously this could prove a little redundant since we already have Syria, just wondering if it's planned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am preparing a message and a plan for how we will develop and improve the map, I will make a separate topic for this, because there are already many such questions.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I wasn't really planning on buying Sinai, but an unexpected free weekend (the missus took our daughter and went on a last minute weekend trip with her girlfriends 😎) and my fear of missing out, made me pull the trigger.

I'm happy I did! This map runs surprisingly well on my "old" VR pc (specs in my signature). I don't care for exact fps numbers, so I didn't check, but my overall experience is that everything is very smooth, even over all these huge cities. In fact it runs so smooth, I don't understand how that's possible at all with my system and VR.

And guys, have you tried Cairo at night???

I mean, I've never seen anything like this in DCS! It literally gave me goosebumps and made me feel like Mathew:

Matthew Mcconaughey Crying GIF

Edited by sirrah
typos
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

After just a brief test I must say that this is absolutely brilliant. I can't even fathom how many buildings are drawn in those cities - and how it is handled with perfectly reasonable frame rate on my mighty i5 2500K + GTX 1070! The potential of the engine here is sometimes rather underappreciated...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sirrah said:

but an unexpected free weekend (the missus took our daughter and went on a last minute weekend trip with her girlfriends 😎)

Lucky... we have a wedding to attend this weekend but thankfully it is in town.  Maybe Sunday morning, if my head doesn't hurt from adult beverages, I'll get a little quiet time while my family sleeps to really explore outside of my Cairo flight last night.

Enjoy 🍻

• Thanks 1

Corsair 5000D Black - i913900KS 24 core 3.2GHz - ASUS Z790 Hero DDR5 - 64GB Dominator DDR5 - iCUE H150i Liquid Cooler - QL iCUE Fans- PNY 24GB RTX4090 - 2TB 990 Pro - 2TB 980 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS/Throttle and TRP Pedals - Cougars MFD - Total Controls MFBB - TEK AHCP - Trak Racer TR8 Pro cockpit and a frustrating Pimax 8kx Varjo Aero.... "So I commandeered the police car and was giving people rides in it for $80… I don't call it a drinking problem; I call it a 'making to much money' problem"--Jungle Recon

Get 57+ fps in Viggen over down town Cairo but in London, I get only around 45-46 fps...

But in a Viper, I get at least 79 fps most of the time... Look at all the air con units on the buildings...what kind of magic is that?!

Video soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Brilliant map, had a quick F-16 out of Cairo Central and sharp about turn to buzz the Pyramids, nice job. Came out of the game to get some skins, hit the cannot get back in problem. 

Came back this morning and trying the new Gazelle FM......I manage to fly like Woodstock with Snoopy.....not managed a landing yet that hasn't scrapped the aircraft....back to flight school

• Like 2

Well I did my version of VR “stress test” a few minutes ago.. I know I’ve got an optimized system but here is the nice and surprising results:

Flew OV-10 mod (the most demanding aircraft on a VR system I’ve experienced ) at sunset from Cairo West and circled the pyramids at low altitude until all the lights of the city came on.  I was well above 65fps until then and then a slow down and stutter for approximately 90 seconds at a frame rate as low as 42 but averaged low 50s. I was flying into the city with the traffic and city’s light getting into full effect.  After the lighting transition “completed” with sunset I again was 65fps+ and was averaging high 70s or very low 80s and running silky smooth. A couple minor stutters but nothing like I normally experience with the OV-10. This was all done on MT with most setting as high you can set and civilian traffic on medium. 

For reference I love flying the Bronco but with my old PC and Pimax 8kx I had to scale back all of my setting and civilian traffic off and the system still struggled with FPS on any maps; I know MT is helping a lot but seems OV-10 needs a lot of help in VR. I know my new system is top line but ORT did a great job with what they could do and I am encouraged by reading everyone else’s reviews and performance reports for the future of this map. 

Edited by Rodeo
  • Like 2

Corsair 5000D Black - i913900KS 24 core 3.2GHz - ASUS Z790 Hero DDR5 - 64GB Dominator DDR5 - iCUE H150i Liquid Cooler - QL iCUE Fans- PNY 24GB RTX4090 - 2TB 990 Pro - 2TB 980 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS/Throttle and TRP Pedals - Cougars MFD - Total Controls MFBB - TEK AHCP - Trak Racer TR8 Pro cockpit and a frustrating Pimax 8kx Varjo Aero.... "So I commandeered the police car and was giving people rides in it for $80… I don't call it a drinking problem; I call it a 'making to much money' problem"--Jungle Recon

Safer Pay doesnt accept MC or Visa GIFT CARDS...maybe ED ought to make this painfullly apparent on the PAYMENT OPTION SCREEN.

• Like 2

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

2 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

Safer Pay doesnt accept MC or Visa GIFT CARDS...maybe ED ought to make this painfullly apparent on the PAYMENT OPTION SCREEN.

Really? That sucks. 🤨

I use those to load up my Steam wallet to buy DCS stuff. Never had an issue.

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

1 hour ago, Beirut said:

Really? That sucks. 🤨

I use those to load up my Steam wallet to buy DCS stuff. Never had an issue.

Well I just lost $65 because of that.  Dosent sound like much I know but $$ hard to come by with 2 kids to put through college.

• Like 1

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

78003DX 4090 and a Quest2. Same settings as all the other maps. Pretty much maxed out except view distance medium and I'm blown away by how smooth it is.  Flew the Huey low around the huge urban areas, even looking out the side windows at 90deg does not invoke any stutter.  Managed to land on top of a pyramid <G>. The scale of this map is insane. I'm very pleased with it.

7 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

Well I just lost $65 because of that.  Dosent sound like much I know but $$ hard to come by with 2 kids to put through college.

$65 is money. I'm on your side of the fence with that one. Must be something useful you can do with the card though. I mean, you didn't actually lose the card value, did you? 

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Whos decision was not to include trial? This should be a demand from DCS. I never bought a terrain without trying it. And it seams that trials arent a thing lately as many new stuff is without trial.

Edited by Tvrdi
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tvrdi said:

Whos decision was not to include trial? This should be a demand from DCS. I never bought a terrain without trying it. And it seams that trials arent a thing lately as many new stuff is without trial.

It depends, Normandy 2 had a trial from the very first day so people complaining it's "the same map" could try and see it's not. The rest of the modules (I recall Apache, for instance) take a while to be added, as well as some modules aren't in the trial thing, I guess it's up to its publisher to be included or not.

• Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Map looks good overall (great job, and thanks!)
Having said that a lot of areas need improvement, especially in Israel.

So many places have industrial ports (Jaffa port, Mikhmoret, ...), which shouldn't be industrial. A lot of missing landmarks, very generic looking cities/buildings. 
Buildings have this weird reflective shine on them, not sure if somehow wrong shaders were chosen for buildings?

My biggest gripe is the fact that every city looks like a grey blob, as if someone forgot to texture them. But that's my impression on other maps as well.

Ben Gurion has concrete jetways (I see it on other maps as well). And texture work is not that great.

Since these issues are a recurring theme on other maps, I think the DCS map tools must be lacking somehow.

Also looks like some roads are not correct or missing, which is kind of important if you're trying to do VFR with a real map. But maybe this is done for performance reasons.

I see a lot of great things on this map, and hoping it gets further development to fix textures and to add missing landmarks.

Edited by dikkeduif
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

Israel is low detail area, IIRC, not even meant to be there at first.

No offense, but what kind of conflict would you simulate and what would be the use if Israel wasn't there and it was only the Sinai peninsula? That would leave you with a very thin strip for mission building...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dikkeduif said:

No offense, but what kind of conflict would you simulate and what would be the use if Israel wasn't there and it was only the Sinai peninsula? That would leave you with a very thin strip for mission building...

No offence taken, I don't publish the map 🤣 . Those areas you mention weren't supposed to be there at first, it's not they didn't want to, I guess they weren't even sure how that would work performance wise, but still it's on top of the fact that Siria map already models some of those. They tried to set a couple airports in South Israel to widen the scope of the map, and later on they decided to include a bit more detail in those areas. Now, if you read all these forums, and since performance isn't bad at all (aside from a bunch of people, but there's always a bunch of people even with top notch rigs having bad performance anywhere) apparently they plan to widen even more that area, but still I'm quite sure it won't overlap already existing Siria map by too much.

Anyhow, just remember that area, those exact spots you mention, even if they enhance them later on are meant to be low detail. There's a limited amount of detail you can ad in handmade maps like these are before your computer starts to scream.

• Thanks 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

Gotcha. Makes sense yes. I do remember reading something about these concerns.

Really hope DCS can get their act together then and improve the terrain engine, because I don't see how adding details to the north of the map can influence the performance of the whole map. It's not great when map builders are being held back.

Anyway it's on the right track, hoping for more improvements down the line.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dikkeduif said:

Really hope DCS can get their act together then and improve the terrain engine, because I don't see how adding details to the north of the map can influence the performance of the whole map.

It's just about total objects count.

Yeah, we all hope with the world map planned and future engine updates they manage to remove that limitation the current engine is having, despite all the efforts and enhancements we've already seen. It's obvious how PG, Syria, Marianas, Normandy 2 and now Sinai have enjoyed a big enhancement in that regard, still apparently not enough. I'm sure they'll continue getting that better.