MT freezes even in main menu

hi, I´m also suffering from extreme stutter (whole pc freezes) to complete shutdown of the program (rather rare tho). It´s nothing that happens all the time, sometimes a reboot works. it is more likely to happen when closing the game and starting it again it feels (so not at the first start after a reboot).

I´m running a i9-12900KF, RTX3080, Win10-64bit, 32GB RAM, but you can see this from the log.

The logfile is from a gamestartup after a fresh reboot where it froze the whole pc multiple times during game launch but made it to the main menu. then i closed it and thats the log.

The big step in time is here:

2023-10-11 19:38:56.947 INFO    EDCORE (Main): (dDispatcher)enterToState_:1
2023-10-11 19:42:29.413 INFO    DXGUI_WIN_ADAPTER (Main): resize main window to [3440, 1440]

checked task manager during this. CPU 4 was 100% during launch, in the main menu it was CPU 4 and 8 at 100%, rest was sleeping

2nd attempt ran nicely to the main menu, i click multiplayer and the freezes start again, closed the game afterwards (thats dcs2.log)

2023-10-11 20:03:31.529 INFO    DXGUI_WIN_ADAPTER (Main): resize main window to [3440, 1440]

is this the problem?

dcs.log dcs2.log

10 hours ago, BMO said:

hi, I´m also suffering from extreme stutter (whole pc freezes) to complete shutdown of the program (rather rare tho). It´s nothing that happens all the time, sometimes a reboot works. it is more likely to happen when closing the game and starting it again it feels (so not at the first start after a reboot).

I´m running a i9-12900KF, RTX3080, Win10-64bit, 32GB RAM, but you can see this from the log.

The logfile is from a gamestartup after a fresh reboot where it froze the whole pc multiple times during game launch but made it to the main menu. then i closed it and thats the log.

The big step in time is here:

2023-10-11 19:38:56.947 INFO    EDCORE (Main): (dDispatcher)enterToState_:1
2023-10-11 19:42:29.413 INFO    DXGUI_WIN_ADAPTER (Main): resize main window to [3440, 1440]

checked task manager during this. CPU 4 was 100% during launch, in the main menu it was CPU 4 and 8 at 100%, rest was sleeping

2nd attempt ran nicely to the main menu, i click multiplayer and the freezes start again, closed the game afterwards (thats dcs2.log)

2023-10-11 20:03:31.529 INFO    DXGUI_WIN_ADAPTER (Main): resize main window to [3440, 1440]

is this the problem?

dcs.log 34.12 kB · 2 downloads dcs2.log 31.66 kB · 1 download

Have you tried taking CPU #8 away from DCS via the task manager as described here:

?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

2.9 incoming, I hope solution will be in this nearest patch, we will see 💪

• Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

launched game, shaky start + desktop freezes.

I removed the CPU that was on 100% (in that case CPU 5), and it ran like a charm afterwards.

nullScreenshot of the TaskManager was taken after removing the cpu. you see where CPU 5 goes back to idle.

log attached.

image.png

dcs.log

• Like 1

Patch this Thursday (perhaps 😉 ) :

!

Edited by YoYo
  • Thanks 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

5 hours ago, YoYo said:

Patch this Thursday (perhaps 😉 ) :

!

I wouldn't put too much hope on that update in regards to this issue...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hi

The new patch hasn't fixed the issue. So, if, like me, you have a nVidia serie 30, you have the choice to run DCS in MT mode with this issue coming randomly but with DLSS on, or running DCS in ST mode but without DLSS for the serie 30 owners.

I'm very disapointed that the patch hasn't fixed the issue of this topic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

CPU: I7-6700K 4Ghz, GC: nVidia GeForce Titan X Gigabytes, 32 Go DDR4, Motherboard: Gigabytes Z170X-Gaming 3. OS: W10-Family, 3 HD Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB + 1 Samsung SSD EVO 500 Gb. Oculus Rift CV1

I wonder if my VR frametime issues with the MT version are due to the same issues described here - at least the symptoms some of you are describing are exactly the same, i.e. the game slowing down to a slideshow right from the main menu, with wildly oscillating frametimes. I managed to fix the issue in the 2.9 version after ticking and un-ticking the "use virtual reality headset" checkbox in options, leading to automatic restart of the game.

I now, of course, in effect have to start and close the game twice every time to keep it working as intended...

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/324309-slideshow-level-stuttering-and-frametime-oscillation-in-vr-vive-pro-2-wireless-adapter/#comment-5307084

56 minutes ago, jef32 said:

Hi

The new patch hasn't fixed the issue. So, if, like me, you have a nVidia serie 30, you have the choice to run DCS in MT mode with this issue coming randomly but with DLSS on, or running DCS in ST mode but without DLSS for the serie 30 owners.

I'm very disapointed that the patch hasn't fixed the issue of this topic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nope...

Fresh OB install, 2D mode 

25+ minutes later: selected F-16 free flight/Caucuses

null

image.png

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

2 hours ago, SgtArmyGuy said:

I wonder if my VR frametime issues with the MT version are due to the same issues described here - at least the symptoms some of you are describing are exactly the same, i.e. the game slowing down to a slideshow right from the main menu, with wildly oscillating frametimes. I managed to fix the issue in the 2.9 version after ticking and un-ticking the "use virtual reality headset" checkbox in options, leading to automatic restart of the game.

I now, of course, in effect have to start and close the game twice every time to keep it working as intended...

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/324309-slideshow-level-stuttering-and-frametime-oscillation-in-vr-vive-pro-2-wireless-adapter/#comment-5307084

I havn't the steam version of DCS.

CPU: I7-6700K 4Ghz, GC: nVidia GeForce Titan X Gigabytes, 32 Go DDR4, Motherboard: Gigabytes Z170X-Gaming 3. OS: W10-Family, 3 HD Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB + 1 Samsung SSD EVO 500 Gb. Oculus Rift CV1

So, are these cool new features intentionally only available in MT mode?

They're not selectable in ST. And I can still barely, if ever get MT to load.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

4 minutes ago, Sr. said:

So, are these cool new features intentionally only available in MT mode?

They're not selectable in ST. And I can still barely, if ever get MT to load.

Since ST is on it's way out (my guess is it'll be gone by the end of the year or at the latest the start of next year) YES it's intentional.  They aren't going to spend time getting complex stuff to work in a version that's going to be deprecated in the forseeable future.  I'm not sure that it's even possible to use these in ST even if they did want to include it, but that's beyond my technical knowledge.

Edited by rob10
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, rob10 said:

Since ST is on it's way out (my guess is it'll be gone by the end of the year or at the latest the start of next year) YES it's intentional.  They aren't going to spend time getting complex stuff to work in a version that's going to be deprecated in the forseeable future.  I'm not sure that it's even possible to use these in ST even if they did want to include it, but that's beyond my technical knowledge.

I don't wait ED to give us the DLSS option in the ST mode. I ask ED to fix ASAP the random freezes in MT mode. They're aware of the issue since weeks now and they haven't done absolutly nothing to fix it. I just go out a DCS MT session and all was fine and the DLSS is an happyness but if I launch DCS again in MT mode, I'm sure that it will be many freezes forcing me to turn off DCS. The statistic of good launch in MT without freezes is around 1/5.

Edited by jef32

1 hour ago, rob10 said:

Agreed.

37 minutes ago, jef32 said:

I don't wait ED to give us the DLSS option in the ST mode. I ask ED to fix ASAP the random freezes in MT mode. They're aware of the issue since weeks now and they haven't done absolutly nothing to fix it. I just go out a DCS MT session and all was fine and the DLSS is an happyness but if I launch DCS again in MT mode, I'm sure that it will be many freezes forcing me to turn off DCS. The statistic of good launch in MT without freezes is around 1/5.

I'm glad MT is default with 2.9. Hopefully the next patch is purely bug fixes. Hopefully ST will soon be deprecated entirely, so that more resources are on the MT core. 

But I'm also not experiencing the issues that many users here are. I get freezes/pauses during loading, but that's it. 

• Like 1

Just before going to bed, some hours ago, I've tried the method that I've read on this topic: Going to the affinity settings and I've removed the core number 8 which was on 100% before. That's works but it's a temporaly solution. ED has to fix the issue ASAP.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jef32 said:

Just before going to bed, some hours ago, I've tried the method that I've read on this topic: Going to the affinity settings and I've removed the core number 8 which was on 100% before. That's works but it's a temporaly solution. ED has to fix the issue ASAP.

So it isnt solved yet and this annoying issue is present still? Since June? Come on ED and @Flappie! (I didnt test 2.9 yet) 😞 

I hope it is on priority tasks.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

@YoYo I can't do much more than I already do, sorry. I cannot reproduce this issue (since I have a Ryzen CPU) and I keep bumping the internal report nonetheless.

As I said earlier, one fellow tester is affected, though.

• Thanks 2

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

So I have been watching this thread with interest. 

I run Win 11, i9-13900, RTX 3090, Non-VR, 1440p and did not have any of the issues reported here.  Game ran very smoothly at 90+ FPS, max settings.

But as of v2.9 I now have massive stuttering and need to remove affinity from CPU8 to fix.

Removing CPU8 affinity and then adding it back after after DCS starts fixes the issue 

2 hours ago, Flappie said:

@YoYo I can't do much more than I already do, sorry. I cannot reproduce this issue (since I have a Ryzen CPU) and I keep bumping the internal report nonetheless.

As I said earlier, one fellow tester is affected, though.

Yes I know, just added You to remind this topic. 

As you can see, it is only growing and more and more users have problems with it, especially after the upgrade of their PC. The case has been partially diagnosed, so now everything is in the hands of the ED. Only today I will be flying in 2.9, so I will re-enable my HT=on and we will see, but from what we can see the problem still exists. 😞

The issue is that by adding new features to DCS, and not solving the previous (important) problems, there will only be more problems, which is why I think that ED should deal with this first. Thank You.

• Like 2

Yoyosimsbanner.gif