MT freezes even in main menu

4 hours ago, MasterDTM said:

Just fired DCS up in 2.9 and am having stutters in game and in menu that make the game unplayable.

5600x, 3080, 32gb ram, Win 11.

The stutters are relatively short but they happen at a frequency which makes the game simply unplayable  I deleted fxo and metashaders, cleaned and repaired my DCS and this fixed my issue for 1 gameplay session.  Fired the game back up the following night and the stutters were back.  Messing with cores in Task Manage has had no effect.  Desperate for any suggestions.

give the single core app a shot and see if that helps.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

5 hours ago, MasterDTM said:

Just fired DCS up in 2.9 and am having stutters in game and in menu that make the game unplayable.

5600x, 3080, 32gb ram, Win 11.

The stutters are relatively short but they happen at a frequency which makes the game simply unplayable  I deleted fxo and metashaders, cleaned and repaired my DCS and this fixed my issue for 1 gameplay session.  Fired the game back up the following night and the stutters were back.  Messing with cores in Task Manage has had no effect.  Desperate for any suggestions.

Have you Deleted all the Files inside the 2 folders metashaders2 and in fxo? have a program that will unlock all CPU cores in Win11? or Reg edit Win11 to unlock all cores?

On 11/8/2023 at 6:15 PM, YoYo said:

However, I must confirm one issue that was raised here in total too. Unparked cores also does not solve the problem 100% - if it works, it's ok 👍, but if it doesn't, the problem returns 😑. Yesterday, when starting DCS, the stutter appeared again at the menu level. I was very surprised because I hadn't seen this problem for a long time.

I checked the power settings and noticed that, miraculously, they had gone back to 0% (instead of 100%). Someone wrote about it here some time ago, that unfortunately it's not a "fire and forget" option. ED must also pay attention to this when optimizing the operation of DCS MT when developing this fix

Hmm, I can't speak to that as I personally don't use the unpark cores workaround (only tried it briefly and it seemed to work), as I don't want to increase my PCs power consumption throughout the board just because a single application has troubles with core parking. I keep using the workaround with deactivating core #8, which works great.

• Like 3

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Mine doesn't always freeze in the main menu. But it will at some point if I am in it long enough. None of the work arounds have worked for me and I tried all of them.

The spikes and stutters are still there too in single threaded DCS version but they are least are not as severe there.

One thing I have not tried is disabling hyper threading. If that doesn't do anything I am going to roll back to 2.8.

You could also copy the whole install over to another SSD if you think it could be a drive issue too. I'll attempt that after I try disabling hyperthreading.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

13 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

give the single core app a shot and see if that helps.

It absolutely does but we are told its days are numbered. (And yet the stand-alone server is still only ST!)

Not only did they never achieve parity on features, they're now adding features to MT that aren't in ST, like the new graphics options. 

Edited by SMH

I installed Process lasso, set CPU and IO priority high for DCS, set CPU affinity to only P-cores and removed the virtual cores and also made sure I was not using core 0.
Everything run smoothly and with 50-80 fps (VR)!

Later in the evening (no restart of DCS or PC) stutter was back again. Restarted the PC and made sure Process lasso was working like before (which it did), but the stuttering was unbearable! Also tried to remove cores with biggest load, but no improvements.

This is driving me crazy! Really hope ED is finding a solution here soon... 🙂

Edited by Hillman
  • Like 1

HW: Intel i5 13600K, 64Gb DDR5, RTX 4090, Winwing Orion 2 HOTAS, TM TPR rudderpedals, Pico 4 VR+VirtualDesktop (VDXR), Win11
DCS: F-5, F-86, F-16, F-15E, FA-18, F-14, Harrier, Viggen, M-2000C, A-10C, AH-64, UH-1, Mi-8, Mi-24, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mig-21, P-47, P-51, Spitfire, Mosquito, Bf-109, Fw-190A, Fw-190D, Yak-52, C101, all maps & tech, SuperCarrier

I installed Processor lasso, set CPU and IO priority high for DCS, set CPU affinity to only P-cores and removed the virtual cores and also made sure I was not using core 0.
Everything run smoothly and with 50-80 fps (VR)!
Later in the evening (no restart of DCS or PC) stutter was back again. Restarted the PC and made sure Processor lasso was working like before (which it did), but the stuttering was unbearable! Also tried to remove cores with biggest load, but no improvements.
This is driving me crazy! Really hope ED is finding a solution here soon...
Yea I may have gotten it to run smoothly for like 10 minutes but came back a day or two later to experience the same thing you described. For me I see there is constantly at least one e core or P core taking 100% of the load even if I disable the one taking 100% it does the same thing to the next one.

I also see some stutter in single threaded 2.9 but not as frequent as MT.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

1 hour ago, SMH said:

It absolutely does but we are told its days are numbered. (And yet the stand-alone server is still only ST!)

Not only did they never achieve parity on features, they're now adding features to MT that aren't in ST, like the new graphics options. 

that would make sense if those functions didnt work in single threaded environments. Im sure every one of us is waiting on Vulkan API to be released, but Im fairly certain the single threaded version is going to be somewhat updated and functional until all the bugs are worked out.

• Like 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

9 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

that would make sense if those functions didnt work in single threaded environments. Im sure every one of us is waiting on Vulkan API to be released, but Im fairly certain the single threaded version is going to be somewhat updated and functional until all the bugs are worked out.

LOL! Vulkan! 🤣

And I'm just showing you the response we get if we even point out that they swapped the MT version (which still calls itself a "PREVIEW") with the ST version as the one the Updater launches. Thread CLOSED!

The registry setting didn't help in my case.

However, in another thread, which I can't find right now, someone mentioned uncheckboxing and recheckboxing the 100% cores from affinity option in Task Manager for DCS.exe.

I can't believe that did it, but if I do that it has worked every time to remove the menu stuttering and it works fine for that session until I restart DCS again.  Good find from soneone!

• Like 1

On 11/11/2023 at 3:19 AM, SMH said:

LOL! Vulkan! 🤣

And I'm just showing you the response we get if we even point out that they swapped the MT version (which still calls itself a "PREVIEW") with the ST version as the one the Updater launches. Thread CLOSED!

You're right. Thread closed. You might as well just pack everything up now, call DCS quits and go play minecraft.

• Like 2

My wallpaper and skins

58 minutes ago, MasterDTM said:

My issue still persists in single core ...

I would suggest looking at your process viewer with DCS running and check to see what is eating all your CPU cycles. It would behoove you to get process lasso -if ANYTHING- to use as a sort of performance analyzer so you can see what every core is doing at the same time. Im not sure how to do it on Windows 11, but if you can figure it out then thats all you need. It could also be your vram is maxed out as well.

Edited by Hammer1-1
  • Like 1

My wallpaper and skins

57 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

I would suggest looking at your process viewer with DCS running and check to see what is eating all your CPU cycles. It would behoove you to get process lasso -if ANYTHING- to use as a sort of performance analyzer so you can see what every core is doing at the same time. Im not sure how to do it on Windows 11, but if you can figure it out then thats all you need. It could also be your vram is maxed out as well.

Vram is def not maxxing out.  When I look at CPU cores when DCS is running, usually one or two or running near 100%.  When I shut those ones off another 1 or too just take the same load.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MasterDTM said:

Vram is def not maxxing out.  When I look at CPU cores when DCS is running, usually one or two or running near 100%.  When I shut those ones off another 1 or too just take the same load.  

That sounds kind of like a configuration problem. Go to your processor affinity scheduling with DCS running and see what the affinity is set at. It could also be in efficiency mode; why? I dont know...

My wallpaper and skins

That sounds kind of like a configuration problem. Go to your processor affinity scheduling with DCS running and see what the affinity is set at. It could also be in efficiency mode; why? I dont know...
I have the same thing happen with my 13900k. I tried unparking all cores, then parking the ones taking the load mostly, then tried disabling hyperthreading in bios too. Nothing seemed to help and makes it looks like DCS doesn't know how to properly use the cores.
  • Like 1

if you have a 13900k, that makes your sig rig outdated, so you have a different motherboard. mind if I ask you what brand? If its MSI, then I can almost guarantee I know what the problem is.

My wallpaper and skins

if you have a 13900k, that makes your sig rig outdated, so you have a different motherboard. mind if I ask you what brand? If its MSI, then I can almost guarantee I know what the problem is.
I have an Asus Strix Rog Z790E now. I didn't realize I had my signature on here, yea it was very old.

2 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

All my cores have their box checked and are running.  If it helps I didn't have this issue in 2.8.

53 minutes ago, SMH said:

And you might as well just keep holding your breath until that Vulkan promise (that they've not mentioned in over a year) comes true. THAT'LL make the sim faster! Yep! Just like MT and DLSS did! With no undesired side-effects! Any two weeks now! 🤣

Why are you still here?

1 hour ago, MasterDTM said:

All my cores have their box checked and are running.  If it helps I didn't have this issue in 2.8.

Unticking 8 and then reactivating the core seems to be the general consensus around here. Please tell me you already did that while DCS was running. It wont work unless you do this trick while the app is running.

Edited by Hammer1-1
  • Like 1

My wallpaper and skins

1 hour ago, sze5003 said:
2 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

I have an Asus Strix Rog Z790E now. I didn't realize I had my signature on here, yea it was very old.

Have you tried deactivating the E-cores? If you had an MSI board, I would have suggested just checking your cpu clocking as mine had it knocked down out of the box at 3ghz.

My wallpaper and skins

Have you tried deactivating the E-cores? If you had an MSI board, I would have suggested just checking your cpu clocking as mine had it knocked down out of the box at 3ghz.
I used processor lasso to do that but it didn't help much with the microstutters in flight. I also have hags turned off but use it in other games.

I lowered some settings and it's helped a bit but they are still pretty apparent.