I think i am abandoning vr :(

dooom

I just ran pancake in MT and can't get over how beautiful DCS looks with my settings maxed.  My system is beefy enough to run max and look damn smooth and pretty as all h3ll.

I guess im just tired with the endless tweaking trying to get smooth gameplay with my G2 and OpenXRTK.  Things just look ugly and the performance is always poor.  I do like the spotting soooo much better though.  I'll miss that.

I dont know if i just couldnt find the right settings or if i have to pack my reverb up until my next pc gpu/cpu upgrade.

Anyone else hit a wall of exhaustion?  Any inspiration  out there or hope I should be watching out for?

Enjoy the tweaking fellas... I'm thinking I'm finally out and off to actually be able to fly on the cold war server.  😉  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

With Pimax Crystal it looks better in VR than on my 1440P gaming monitor. Even in mission editor looking at 3d models or just looking at splash screen on mission start up. It looks better and more crisp than my monitor.

• Like 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

Hey gotta do what makes you happy.

There are some really nice headsets now that run pretty well with DCS due to eye tracking and  dynamic foveated rendering.  But there is no doubt that VR will never look as good as on a sharp 2d monitor. Not sure it ever could just due to it being 3d in actual size rather than on a smaller 2d flat screen. You have to admit  even the 2d monitor is sharper overall like at distance than real life scenery.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yes definitely DCS looks better in a 2D monitor (unless you're using an expensive headset). What VR brings to the table is immersion: you're sitting inside the plane, and the feeling is amazing.

But at the end of the day it's your game and you play it however you prefer. Nothing wrong with that.

Maybe future VR headsets will solve most problems current ones have, heavy tweaking being one of them.

• Like 1

For past three years, with HP G2 & Pico 4. Never had any problem with DCS, even with medium specs PC .. AMD 6900XT/5800X3D.. Quite happy with VR DCS

Same thing cannot be said with that other civil sim. regular CTDs, dreadful experience!

1 hour ago, NAM said:

For past three years, with HP G2 & Pico 4. Never had any problem with DCS, even with medium specs PC .. AMD 6900XT/5800X3D.. Quite happy with VR DCS

Same thing cannot be said with that other civil sim. regular CTDs, dreadful experience!

Nice "medium" spec bro... (pre-last gen AMD fastest CPU & GPU)... 😉

I switched recently to 7900XTX from 3080 and boy oh boy does it look nice on max Virtual Desktop streaming quality with Quest 2, and keeps up the necessary 36FPS for ASW to run the damn thing smooth (even on a mediocre 10600KF)...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the few, the proud, the remaining...

I got into DCS because I like VR. I would not really consider playing this 2d. For me it is about the immersion and I dont mind the compromises. I do also like tweaking and optimising settings, but I can understand why some people don't. Maybe I am too optimistic but I do think the DCS developers are going to implement better support for VR over the coming months (🤞).

• Like 1

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

I was an avid monitor flyer with TrackIR for some years. Got an RTX4090 and ran 4k max settings.

Then I tried VR with a cheap Pico 4 headset and there was no way back. Love the immersion and 1:1 head movement. You are INSIDE the cockpit!

Biggest problem with VR is the hardware requirements and tinkering to chase performance, even with the «best» HW money can buy.

MORAL: Tinker for a while and accept the settings you can squeeze out and enjoy flying. 

I am changing my CPU, MB and memory to get some better performance next Monday, as I dislike motion reprojection and stutters. My current 11600k is not keeping up…

With the fastest GPU and «fastest» CPU, VR with 72 real fps looks good and feels even greater, but at a (to?) high cost.

I am not able to go back to monitor, though.

SUMMARY: Enjoyable VR is not cheap…

Edited by MIghtymoo
  • Like 2

Intel i9 13900K | RTX4090 | 64 Gb DDR4 3600 CL18 | 2Tb PCIe4.0 | Varjo Aero | Pico 4 on WIFI6e | Virtual Desktop running VDXR

I can run DCS 2.8 at 4K high settings in my 2D screen and, yes, it looks awesome. But can no longer go back to it after using VR.
The immersion with VR is simply too good, and there is no replacement for that.

I do have a major problem with VR in DCS that I can not make 2.8 MT run smooth, even after lots of tinkering and using every trick in the book, micro-stuttering is always present.
Using 2.8 ST the stuttering issues are almost gone, but then it runs so poor that settings have to be drastically decreased, to a point where it looks downright ugly. 
The problem got even worse after one of the 2.8 OB updates (in last May, I think?), and hasn't improved since.
Yes, we all know enjoyable VR in DCS is not cheap (etc, yata yata) but it should never be like this. It just got silly, ridiculous really.

My solution was to revert back to an older DCS release (version 2.5.6, in my sig) for VR.
It's like a dream if compared. Now VR in DCS looks absolutely stunning and runs really smooth. I can use higher settings, plus custom shaders and mods to it make look and run even better. No dreaded stuttering, performance is great. On top of that, I can even run my Reverb G1 Pro at 150% res., so it's at a point where I find it ideal.
Honestly, I don't care about losing the new clouds, or recent and upcoming modules (whatever), if all I invested in can finally be used the way I intended it in the first place.
I'll try newest versions again when Vulkan is finally released and VR with MT issues are gone (had enough of this BS) but, until then, I'm well served.

I definitely recommend trying that before you decide abandoning VR for DCS.

Edited by LucShep
  • Thanks 1

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

36 minutes ago, LucShep said:

I can run DCS 2.8 at 4K high settings in my 2D screen and, yes, it looks awesome. But can no longer go back to it after using VR.

I do have a problem with VR in DCS that I can not make 2.8 MT run smooth, even after tinkering and throwing every setting combo or trick in the book at it.
Using 2.8 ST the stuttering issues are almost gone but then it runs so poor (especially GPU usage wise) that settings have to be decreased to a point where it looks too ugly. 
The problem got even worse after one of the 2.8 OB updates (back in May, I think?), and hasn't improved since.
Yes, enjoyable VR in DCS is not cheap etc (yata yata) but this just got silly, ridiculous really.

My solution was to revert back to a much older DCS release (version 2.5.6, also in my sig) for VR.
I can now use higher settings, plus custom shaders and mods, where VR in DCS looks absolutely stunning and runs smooth.
On top of that, I can now even run my Reverb G1 at 150% res (with motion reprojection), so it's at a point where I find it ideal. It's like a dream if compared.
Honestly, I don't care about losing the new clouds, or recent and upcoming modules (whatever), if all I invested in can finally be used the way I intended it in the first place.

I wish it was easier to get good VR performance in DCS.

Seems like your path may be an OK alternative, if you are not willing or able to afford the high-end components to run latest DCS properly (without reprojection).

Intel i9 13900K | RTX4090 | 64 Gb DDR4 3600 CL18 | 2Tb PCIe4.0 | Varjo Aero | Pico 4 on WIFI6e | Virtual Desktop running VDXR

2 hours ago, MIghtymoo said:

I wish it was easier to get good VR performance in DCS.

Seems like your path may be an OK alternative, if you are not willing or able to afford the high-end components to run latest DCS properly (without reprojection).

That path is a good alternative, or an atempt to circumvent an issue with something that should be harshly contested and not accepted by paying customers.
If people are expected to buy 2000€ GPUs (RTX4090! lol) and/or upgrade (again!) perfectly capable systems just for an "enjoyable VR experience", then something is definitely wrong with this game/sim.
Luckily there are older versions of DCS to revert to. Otherwise, I'd definitely be abandoning and jumping ship, straight onto the next best competitors.

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

23 minutes ago, LucShep said:

That path is a good alternative, or an atempt to circumvent an issue with something that should be harshly contested and not accepted by paying customers.
If people are expected to buy 2000€ GPUs (RTX4090! lol) and/or upgrade (again!) perfectly capable systems just for an "enjoyable VR experience", then something is definitely wrong with this game/sim.
Luckily there are older versions of DCS to revert to. Otherwise, I'd definitely be abandoning and jumping ship, straight onto the next best competitors.

DCS-MT has started to improve that and hopefully more will come as they tweak it. Also eye tracked dynamic foveated rendering is really going a long way in helping that. Progress is being made albeit very slowly. More headsets need to integrate the eye tracking tech as well.  It is very slow getting there but is improving.

• Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Looks and feeling are yes two different things. I prefer feeling the G’s and sitting in the aircraft. VR you just got to take what it gives you. But DCS in 2d is stunning and the clouds are beautiful but the feeling of the sim is not realistic. My VR performance with what I got is great and no more tweaking involved I just get on and fly the sim. 

Edited by Burt
  • Like 2

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Over the last month to six weeks I’ve spent pretty much all my time in DCS messing with my settings.  I watched numerous videos and ended up figuring out my pain points and solved them all.  I’ve got a beefy gaming laptop, a RTX3080ti, and have a nice 40+ fps with no juddering.   It took a while but I’m thrilled with what I got. 

I do love watching replays of my sessions, and recording bits, in 2D cause I can max everything.  The immersion you get in VR, where everything is life sized, is amazing.  I’ve dreamt flying these planes as a kid, and this feels real damn close to actually doing so.  I do not regret the time and expense.  

feel free to hit me up for vr tips.  I’ve tried most everything, so I know what works for me. 

razer blade 15, i9, RTX3080ti, 32gb, quest 2, now quest pro 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 1:37 PM, LucShep said:

I do have a major problem with VR in DCS that I can not make 2.8 MT run smooth, even after lots of tinkering and using every trick in the book, micro-stuttering is always present.
Using 2.8 ST the stuttering issues are almost gone, but then it runs so poor that settings have to be drastically decreased, to a point where it looks downright ugly. 
The problem got even worse after one of the 2.8 OB updates (in last May, I think?), and hasn't improved since.
Yes, we all know enjoyable VR in DCS is not cheap (etc, yata yata) but it should never be like this. It just got silly, ridiculous really.

My solution was to revert back to an older DCS release (version 2.5.6, in my sig) for VR.
It's like a dream if compared. Now VR in DCS looks absolutely stunning and runs really smooth. I can use higher settings, plus custom shaders and mods to it make look and run even better. No dreaded stuttering, performance is great. On top of that, I can even run my Reverb G1 Pro at 150% res., so it's at a point where I find it ideal.
I'll try newest versions again when Vulkan is finally released and VR with MT issues are gone (had enough of this BS) but, until then, I'm well served.

how do you run Oculus Quest 2? With OpenComposite?

I7-10700F | RTX4070 FE | 32G RAM | Quest 2/3 | TM T16000 HOTAS & Throttle | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-15C | A-10 II 

The Tomcat is so pretty in 2.5.6. Water is amazing and so is lighting. Why did DCS change these features? Oh well. sadly I can only play half the campaigns I own. Maybe it's time to do some Liberation campaigns

I7-10700F | RTX4070 FE | 32G RAM | Quest 2/3 | TM T16000 HOTAS & Throttle | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-15C | A-10 II 

31 minutes ago, Steel Jaw said:

VR is labor intensive to keep running, I recently tried 2d again with TIR and enjoyed the superior gra.

Haven't touched mine in several weeks, I just launch and fly. Of course once I got all tweaking I wanted done, now I just fly. Usually every day for a few hours though I admit I have taken a break these last few days mainly due to health reasons.

Edited by dburne

Don B

3 hours ago, MADLOU1 said:

When I was using my G2 VR with DCS, once I got all the tweaking done after every session, I was too worn out to fly 😵‍💫

If you don’t have a high-end system and/or also accept to reduce graphics settings, there will always be chasing performance and tweaking (and potential unhappiness).

I am running 3500x3500 pr eye to get the quality I think is good. That is 12k pr eye. And add 72 fps (36 pr eye) and you know how demanding this is.

To be able to handle this (even with a top end system) you need to lower DCS settings and do tricks like foveated rendering in some form.

Also remember that your eyes are very close to the screens in VR, so you see pixels and stuttering much easier than on a pancake screen.

VR in DCS is like an Iron Man triathlon for the PC. To perform well all parts/components (e.g CPU/GPU/memory/disc/motherboard) must have good/excellent performance.

How good depends on how high you set the bar regarding quality and fps.

Bottomline:

1. VR in DCS is very demanding on the hardware

2. Have realistic expectation based on your system.

When everything is working well, VR is just insanely immersiove and fun.

Edited by MIghtymoo
  • Like 1

Tried VR with Rift-S and HP Reverb. Got sick and tied of the constant tweaking etc and as I wear glasses, I just couldn't get comfortable. I didn't like the tunnel vision and not so stellar visuals. In the end I'm back with TrackIr with my 63" monitor and haven't looked back.

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

37 minutes ago, MustangSally said:

Tried VR with Rift-S and HP Reverb. Got sick and tied of the constant tweaking etc and as I wear glasses, I just couldn't get comfortable. I didn't like the tunnel vision and not so stellar visuals. In the end I'm back with TrackIr with my 63" monitor and haven't looked back.

Based on your hardware info in your signature, you should not have any issue on getting good performance in VR.
With a Pico 4 or one of the new VR headsets with pancake lenses, you would have a much better experience.

I wear glasses and got drop-in prescription lenses for 70USD. Works very well.

But nothing wrong at all to fly on a monitor 😃