Patch notes discussion October 2023 - DCS 2.9

BIGNEWY

Just now, Eugel said:

OK, how do I activate DLSS or DLAA ? The option is greyed out and I can´t choose it.
Is it RTX 40xx series only ?
I have an RTX3090, just installed the latest driver to be sure...

Are you using the MT version?

4 minutes ago, Art-J said:

@BIGNEWY Has MT become standard exec with 2.9? I'm asking, because even though I don't see it mentioned in patch notes, when game's launched from "normal" ST shortcut, the menu screen says "MT preview 2.9.xxxx".

On the other hand I can see both execs (in Bin and Bin-MT) are still slightly different in size. 

Cannot run non mt DCS.exe here!

null

image.png

Edited by rem27

Intel® Core i7-7700K @4,20GHz - 64 Go RAM - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti - Windows Pro 64 bit - Stream Deck - HOTAS Warthog

1 minute ago, Eugel said:

Oh is it exclusive to that ? That sucks.

Thanks for the info though

Why though? Perhaps the issues you may have previously had with MT are solved now? Just give it a try.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

3 minutes ago, TheFreshPrince said:

Well okay, but somehow you can also only choose DLAA without DLSS in DCS settings. There seems to be a problem with the radar screen antialiasing, the sweep line should be solid and not dashed. Note how the picture also gets very milky when you look in the distant (LOD is maximum). I don't really like that. A lot of testing with different settings necessary it seems like. But the performance upgrade is superb and everything in general looks much better, especially at closer distance! Great update!

DCS 2023-10-19 18-34-33.png

One said that will happen, and it happens, strange. 🤯

It's the nature of DLSS, that is how it works. DLSS is no good for big wide areas. An Upscaler is an Upscaler is an Upscaler. DLSS takes many different tiny pixels, needed for the detail and sharpness, and will add big pixel areas which will take a lot of sharpness. DLAA can't do wonders with big pixel areas with fewer edges.

Many small different pixel + DLAA = sharp

1 big pixel area + DLAA = no magic can be done = blurry

That's the reason DLSS will always be less sharp as without.

I am happy we've got TAA and FSR 2. 🥳

• Like 3

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

Thank you for your explanations, so one has to live with some compromises here. What I also forgot to mention is that I didn't experience any micro stutters, even though Mariannas is famous for those. So that's a big plus. I didn't try the TAA and normal AA modes yet to see if the problems are also gone there. But the overall quality and performance is so good that I can live with some things. One necessary test will also be at what distance you can get visual on enemy fighters, as this is obviously crucial for air to air combat. If everything is blurry, that won't help 🫠

• ED Team
15 minutes ago, Art-J said:

@BIGNEWY Has MT become standard exec with 2.9? I'm asking, because even though I don't see it mentioned in patch notes, when game's launched from "normal" ST desktop shortcut, the menu screen says "MT preview 2.9.xxxx".

On the other hand I can see both execs (in Bin and Bin-MT) are still slightly different in size. 

Was this launched from after the update? if so the team may have added starting mt after updates. ST version is still there. Just close and launch the one you want manually to check

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Running MT here in VR with dlss at quality and it runs great. Only problem is that there is a noticeable decrease in visual quality with this version. It runs great but almost like they decreased clarity to get it to run great. I have a quest 3 and things were so clear before upgrading and now cockpit is blurry and shimmery in comparison to before. It's like I switched back to the Rift S now. Disabling all the new features does nothing either so it appears to be the version 2.9 itself. Sigh.

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

• ED Team
1 minute ago, j0nx said:

Running MT here in VR with dlss at quality and it runs great. Only problem is that there is a noticeable decrease in visual quality with this version. It runs great but almost like they decreased clarity to get it to run great. I have a quest 3 and things were so clear before upgrading and now cockpit is blurry and shimmery in comparison to before. It's like I switched back to the Rift S now. Disabling all the new features does nothing either so it appears to be the version 2.9 itself. Sigh.

Try DLAA not upscaling see if it looks better

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
16 minutes ago, rem27 said:

Cannot run non mt DCS.exe here!

null

image.png

check your dcs.exe have you selected run as administrator? if so start directly from the exe and not the updater

10 minutes ago, peachmonkey said:

look at the list line, it seems it wants elevated permissions to run?  Try running it as Administrator?

😅 runnig it as admin did the trick.

Thank you!

9 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

check your dcs.exe have you selected run as administrator? if so start directly from the exe and not the updater

Yes you're right I did forget to modify my shortcut for non MT to run it as admin. That did the trick.

Thank you Bignewy. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Intel® Core i7-7700K @4,20GHz - 64 Go RAM - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti - Windows Pro 64 bit - Stream Deck - HOTAS Warthog

Congratulations. This is a big day for DCS and the community!
Historic! 
And it actually works!
"Honey, I'm ho-ome!"    🙂

Edited by Moxica
  • Like 2

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

I'm trying to use the new comms system, i created a new empty mission in the editor with the AH64, both the options in the Audio settings tab are enabled, i have the key for showing the VoiceChat window in game, but it seems that i'm unable to open the thing, and the window is simply not showing. What i'm doing wrong here?

love the new splash screen and the rotor wash effects...gonna be great flying helis again!

Question: will there be an Nvidia profile for GeForce Experience any time soon now that source code is used now?

Edited by Hammer1-1
  • Like 2

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

I'm through, caches are cleared and I'm absolutely curious about 2.9...👽

image.png

Edited by Atari800XL

DCS MT😍, all maps except channel, FC3, F-16C Viper, F-15E, F/A-18C, AH-64D, F-5E, F-4E, P-51D, Spitfire, Fw-190D, MiG-21bis, L-39, AJS-37
Supercarrier, WWII-AP, CA, TrackIR5, F/A-18-Stick + Thrustmaster 16000, Stream Deck 8x4, 2x MFD Cougar
Ryzen9 5950X SMT off, 64GB RAM, RTX 4070 SUPER TI, UWQHD 3440x1440, Win11+DCS from separate M.2

57 minutes ago, Eugel said:

OK, how do I activate DLSS or DLAA ? The option is greyed out and I can´t choose it.
Is it RTX 40xx series only ?
I have an RTX3090, just installed the latest driver to be sure...

Make sure you have updated drivers and run dcs with multithreading. I have same card and all fine.

edit: sorry it was already solved I didn't seen the answers.

Edited by Bobik2002

Ryzen 9 5900x | 32GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | 32GB RAM