2.9 Voice chat feedback and discussion

Yuma

• ED Team
2 hours ago, Silver_ said:

That "nearly" sounded very bad 🤭 but I thank the ED team for being on it and not falling on deaf ears.👍

It is why we have a wide range of testers with different setups, to try and catch as many issues on as many different setups as possible, as BN said though releasing to the public is the best possible way to test and we will continue to take feedback and information to improve and bug fix. So please when you come to report issues supply the things we need to pass this information on to the devs. We cannot just say some guy on the forums said it was "pathetic" and we need to make it un-pathetic. 

• Like 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

4 minutes ago, NineLine said:

It is why we have a wide range of testers with different setups, to try and catch as many issues on as many different setups as possible, as BN said though releasing to the public is the best possible way to test and we will continue to take feedback and information to improve and bug fix. So please when you come to report issues supply the things we need to pass this information on to the devs. We cannot just say some guy on the forums said it was "pathetic" and we need to make it un-pathetic. 

Hi Nineline, Thanks for replying.

My intent with my post was to vent frustration about my struggle to use an ED product. It was not necessarily intended as direct problem-solving feedback.

When I test VOIP what happens is different people at random are either not present in the room, unable to successfully transmit or unable to hear each other. The people impacted were not consistent across server resets or game restarts, each of which where done several times in the ~2 hour time window in which we were originally intending to fly. This indicated to me that it was not so much their problem but instead a systematic issue. There are ample examples of this occurring with others. I initially thought that the issue was with 10309 not being forwarded. I was unable to test again because nobody within that group of people wants to bother with VOIP anymore and refuse to use it. I later on read that DCS by this time allegedly was just using 10308 instead so that wasn't the cause.

I tested it again this last weekend with 10309 forwarded and a different group of people and was unable to hear anyone else, despite seeing the transmission indicators and hearing clicks. Again, this is something others are also reporting. I only server-cycled once this time to avoid wasting our time and the issue persisted.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NineLine said:

"Pathetic" no, I would never say that. Tell that to those who speak in those terms, but it borders on the absurd, yes.

Is there a way to disable Voice Chat while in a server? Im trying to resolve a matter I posted here:

Thanks

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I cannot hear anyone who transmits in VOIP and sometimes they also don't show up in the helicopter (MI-24) room with me. Tonight they were in general and coalition but not in my helicopter and I could not hear them or anyone else transmitting despite seeing the transmit button go red and having the intercom switch on. Others could hear us both and saw him in all 3 rooms.
MissionLog.old

I disabled VoiceChat on my end, people will have the voice activation on spamming with noises and when it works it’s a mess, but it’s super random, for some work and not for others. SRS still the way to go, until VoiceChat gets fixed.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

A friend and I tested VOIP in the server, and it turns out that if my plane gets shot down, then when respawning to a new plane, the radio is disabled, the PPT button is disabled, and I need to go back to the server again to use it again!

We have turned it off on all our server (4) now, lots of issues over our 30 regular uses, with all the same issues reported here, we have no issues with SRS as it just works so we continue to use that until we get another big voice patch that we will test again.

When it worked we liked the voice comms as it sounded great but that was our only take away at this stage.

• ED Team
4 hours ago, Goetsch said:

A friend and I tested VOIP in the server, and it turns out that if my plane gets shot down, then when respawning to a new plane, the radio is disabled, the PPT button is disabled, and I need to go back to the server again to use it again!

we will investigate this, which aircraft was it? thanks

12 minutes ago, Hotdognz said:

We have turned it off on all our server (4) now, lots of issues over our 30 regular uses, with all the same issues reported here, we have no issues with SRS as it just works so we continue to use that until we get another big voice patch that we will test again.

When it worked we liked the voice comms as it sounded great but that was our only take away at this stage.

we will continue to refine the voice chat in future patches so thanks for the feedback

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

25 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

we will continue to refine the voice chat in future patches so thanks for the feedback

Can we know if allowing external tools/clients is part of the future work already planned for VOIP?

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

• ED Team
Just now, Maverick87Shaka said:

Can we know if allowing external tools/clients is part of the future work already planned for VOIP?

I dont have any news to share at the moment, however having a stand alone voice chat client able to be used by GCI/ CA is something we would like to do in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

50分钟前,BIGNEWY说:

we will investigate this, which aircraft was it? thanks

We used the F-16C

• ED Team
6 minutes ago, Goetsch said:

We used the F-16C

thanks I have asked the team to test this in the next MP test. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I would appear people can actually hear me on VOIP despite the in-game settings test creating a horrific noise.  Once thing I noticed, aside from the fact that people insist on not using it, is that you don't seem to have the option to see who's talking.  Or do you?  It would be nice if it showed a name in the same place you see the AI subtitles.  I guess I'm just used to being able to see it in SRS.  That or people need to get used to saying their name first when they broadcast like irl.

• 1 month later...

I enjoy using the voice chat and I hope it gets even more uptake across the community. Having used it with a few other people, including some for the first time, I have a little feedback about the GUI in Lobby, as I think it makes things a bit confusing. Lobby mode is a real strength to DCS and something that SRS doesn't really provide.

1. The switch at the top for mic/PTT/off should follow the same colour coding as the radio mode for ready/off/transmit/receive.
  2. Push to talk should also have PTT in the label, again for parity with the radio mode.
  3. The green radio antenna icon for switching into lobby mode, should be removed completely and replaced with a sliding switch that says "Lobby" and "Radios". Everybody seems to look at this symbol as a connected/not connected indicator. 
  4. Each room should be a separate box, just like the radios. Each box should have a small button that says "join" and when joined it can say "current" and the whole box can be a brighter colour. Again like the radios. This would of course be in addition to the persons name being listed in that room but some don't realise the way it works and at that point, you can't talk to them! The current system of bold titles is really easily missed if the rooms are not expanded.
  5. Rename "common" to "everyone"

Just my small feedback. Anyone that agrees, please thumbs up.

Edited by Hoirtel
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

From what I´ve seen online, it appears to be a very cool, immersive feature. I´d love to play MP like this. I have set up my own dedicated server for voice comms.

However, I have already spent hours of my own and other people´s time in order to get it to work, without success.

At this point I am quite frustrated, since it is not a new feature, and I´m starting to wonder if this is gonna be the whole replay story all over again...

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

1 hour ago, upupandaway said:

From what I´ve seen online, it appears to be a very cool, immersive feature. I´d love to play MP like this. I have set up my own dedicated server for voice comms.

However, I have already spent hours of my own and other people´s time in order to get it to work, without success.

At this point I am quite frustrated, since it is not a new feature, and I´m starting to wonder if this is gonna be the whole replay story all over again...

To enable voice chat from server side, you just need a single line change in serverSettings.lua inside saved games folder of server:

["voice_chat_server"] = true,

under advanced category.

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

• 3 weeks later...

Is it possible to use the voice chat to record my own voice including the effects for a video? 

For example I setup either in a mission I created or a server I started and want to use voice chat to record me talking and be able to hear the radio effects on my voice. Is this possible?

So far I have only been able to setup voice chat and record but I just hear my normal voice.

Don't know about base DCS.  I doubt it.

SRS does support it so I'd encourage you to go that route and save yourself the headache.

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod