Screen Flickering Since 2.9 Update

DAZnBLAST
Go to solution Solved by DAZnBLAST,

Have been flying the F-16, the flashes start whenever i turn the TGP on, as soon as i turn it off ....... the flashing stops. 

• Like 3

Win 11 Home 64Bit, i7-13700K@5.2Ghz Water Cooled, 32 Gb RAM, PNY RTX4090, HP Reverb, PICO 4, Quest 3, Realsimulator FSSB R3, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Pedals.

Last two nights, we had training and an mission flying in our group. What I noticed is all of us in Apaches are getting weird white flashes every now and then, looks like only at night. Both training and mission had a transition afternoon -> dusk -> night and the flashes started to happen after dusk.

I was trying to reproduce it by just sitting in an Apache at the airfield (for about an hour) and hoping the flashing will start, but nothing... Maybe this will give few pointers? I mean, we were a 3-ship, one was fully crewed, other two were pilot only and all four humans saw the white flashes.

I will try to run few more tests tomorrow, but I don't know what could be the common thing to try to trigger it. One guy flies in VR, other three were in pancake mode, all different resolutions and settings, so pinpointing will be difficult 😞

In that other thread, someone says the flashes start when the TGP is up. I guess it's something to do with video feed through MFDs.

I'm able to reproduce the black flashing issue here, not yet the one the present thread is about.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Well, no more white or black flashes, nor ghosting. Because for some random reason my DCS won't even launch now, standard & multi thread both. Displays small splash screen then just goes to black and stays there until killed in task manager. Completely vanilla.

dcs.log

Edited by rwbishUP

And I will execute vengeance in anger and fury upon the heathen, such as they have not heard.

Micah 5:15

8 hours ago, Flappie said:

Does your issue match this one?

White flashes which are like a blink of the eye. DLSS and SSS are both off for my machine. I’ve never turned these on.

I thought it was the TADS screen at first, or maybe something to do with it? But then I was getting flashes on the BlueFlag server playing Combined Arms in 3rd person view with one of the vehicles? Weird!

I’ve also tried the latest nvidia drivers and the 537 drivers before, no luck!

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

3 hours ago, rwbishUP said:

Well, no more white or black flashes, nor ghosting. Because for some random reason my DCS won't even launch now, standard & multi thread both. Displays small splash screen then just goes to black and stays there until killed in task manager. Completely vanilla.

dcs.log 31.79 kB · 3 downloads

2023-10-22 04:13:30.338 ERROR   Lua::Config (Main): load error Config/main.cfg:[string "Config/terrain.lua"]:2: attempt to concatenate local 'visibRange' (a nil value).

Your "Saved Games/DCS.../Config/options.lua" file is broken.

All you have to do is rename it. DCS will make a fresh one and it will work.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Since the 2.9 update I have gotten a weird screen flickering issue. It almost seems as if the brightness is changing rapidly. It only happens in DCS, no other games. Drivers for the GPU are updated. It is most noticeable in the menus when there are still images. When I launch the game, if I don't click anything it will not do it. As soon as I click any menu button (settings, missions, multiplayer, etc...) it starts. Also, I tried to do a screen recording of it to show, but it does not do it as soon as I start recording. As soon as I stop recording, the flickering starts again. It isn't just a slight flicker either, it is almost seizure inducing. Are there any options new to 2.9 that would cause this? I've tried messing with a bunch of settings and can't get it to stop. 

RTX 3080 (driver version 545.84), i9-13900KF, 32GB RAM, 

Hello after the update Im suffering in this map in game white flashing. I´ve Nvidia RTX 2090. Only happens in this map. Have a look to the in game graphics settings to help me solve it. Could someone have a look.

Ive been testing it and happens with the following settings:

image (1).png

image.png

Edited by edudix

• edudix changed the title to In game image flashing after 2.9 Open Beta.

Hello, after 2.9 i now get this white light fliker. Happens in low lighting as well. Killing my eyes . its like a camara flash in the cokpit, any one else get it?

i managed to take a screen shot of the light increase before and during its like everything tuched by the sun light goes extra bright for a second

2222.PNG

Capture.PNG

So I finally got a video of this happening. It’s a few seconds in but happens throughout the flight. I couldn’t post more than this. Does anyone know what this is? It’s only at night with the FLIR on in the F15ESE. I haven’t noticed this happening on other aircraft.

Edited by Ebphoto
  • Like 2

Yeah, it scared **** out of me few times it happened, as I was flying in hostile environment and thought I was hit with missile without any preliminary signs on TEWS.
To me it seems it's F-15E specific, as never happened to me in other planes at the night.

Edited by Amarok_73
  • Like 1

Natural Born Kamikaze

-------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, AMD Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX, PSU Modecom Volcano 750W, Logitech G940 HOTAS, Turtle Beach VelocityOne Rudder.

Same issue here, on the RTX 4080 (driver version 537.58), i9-13900K, 64GB RAM. Like he described, it's happening even in the menus. If I enable the ingame FPS Counter, it shows wildly jittering framerates between 70-144fps in the main menu without actions, when it was always hitting the target 144fps in any menu before.

EDIT1: Disabling all new features (back to MSAA 4x, no Supersampling, no SSS, etc.; basically same settings as in 2.8) does not fix the issue.

EDIT2: I just experimented switching back from the multi-threaded executable in 'bin-mt' to using the one in the previous 'bin' folder. The issue completely disappears using the ST executable, but of course I'd prefer using the new MT version. Any ideas what could be causing this?

EDIT3: A friend recommended trying to use MT but with disabled HyperThreading, which supposedly can cause this issue.

I cannot confirm this, after disabling HyperThreading, the issue on the MT version persists, the frequency of stutters and brightness changes might have changed, this however could be subjective. There is a definitive impact when disabling SSAO and SSLR, lowering the frequency of spikes down to about 25% of before (every 2s instead of every 0.5s) but it's still unplayable.
ST version seems unaffected by HT on/off. Reenabled HyperThreading and did more testing: Performance of ST is far superior for me now since 2.9 (no stutter at all, smooth framerates), this was not the case in 2.8 and before - the MT version was my preferred option until now.

Edited by BigNose
  • Thanks 2

@Flappie 6min video demonstrating what I see in the AH64 running the same mission as the trk file I shared. Like a white flash (blink of the eye), first flash is around 51 secs and 1m 54s and then throughout...

Edited by DAZnBLAST
  • Thanks 1

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

The flashing is intrusive and constant when flying at night in PG at night in the Tomcat.  My wife and I have a front and rear seat pit and only fly the cat (approximately 1500 hours).  VR both (g2's), I have 12900k with 3090TI with DLSS off and get the flashing, she has 13700K with 2070super and DLSS on and does not see the flashes.

• Like 1

Small correction to my previous statement, yesterday I've noticed it also flying the Apache with PNVS enabled.

• Like 1

Natural Born Kamikaze

-------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, AMD Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX, PSU Modecom Volcano 750W, Logitech G940 HOTAS, Turtle Beach VelocityOne Rudder.

On 10/21/2023 at 11:16 PM, Gunnergolly said:

Have been flying the F-16, the flashes start whenever i turn the TGP on, as soon as i turn it off ....... the flashing stops. 

Interesting. Will try.

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

I get that to. Started before 2.9 though.
What is your Gamma setting?

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

Do you guys use default gamma setting?

23 hours ago, Amarok_73 said:

Yeah, it scared **** out of me few times it happened, as I was flying in hostile environment and thought I was hit with missile without any preliminary signs on TEWS.
To me it seems it's F-15E specific, as never happened to me in other planes at the night.

Did some night flying yesterday. Most in F15 but some in F16. Definitely happens more in the F15. But I did have one such flash in the F16. It's really unnerving. Especially when it happens during SAM evasion.

• Like 2

I also get the white flash at night in the A10C11, instant action, most noticeable on night landing or night free flight miz.

AMD6900xt G2

Asus Dark Hero X570, AMD 5800x Oc to 5ghz on 2 cores, RX6900XT Reference Oc to 2700mhz+MPT, All on Custom Water Loop, 3600 CL15 XMP, 2xCrucial P5P 1T M2, Hotas Warthog, Reverb G2,

Latest DCS Open Beta and VR only

A10CII and AH64D, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Marianas, Caucasus