Help with new anti-aliasing modes

DmitriKozlowsky

10 hours ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

What are TAA and DLAA?

I Keep DLSS OFF, as I natively run 2560X1440

I have RTX 3060Ti FE.

have a read of this. there are upsides and downsides to each.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/what-is-nvidia-dlaa

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

The Graphics Update FAQ post does mention TAA, but you are right, there is no mention specifically of DLAA.

Both are pretty much the same thing though. DLAA is just a nVidia specific version which has better performance on nVidia GPU's.

If you really want a deep dive into Temporal Anti-Aliasing, I would suggest looking it up on the net. A TLDR version would be a form of anti-aliasing that samples each pixel once and compares that sample with the previous frame to help hide aliasing or jaggies.

TAA does a really good job of getting rid of jaggies with much better performance compared to multi sampling (MSAA), but the down side is it causes some ghosting (smearing) with fast motion. It can also cause anomalies with transparencies.

• Like 1

Ryzen7 5800X3D - MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk MAX - 64Gb 3600MHz DDR4 - RX 6950 XT - SoundBlaster -Z

Well I turned DLSS ON and DLAA , I guess is automatic. I keep rez on 2560X1440 as it is my panel's native rez. Can't say if FPS has improved or not. I am running mt version of DCS. The CPU has 4 cores(8 threads) and GPU is RTX 3060Ti. Most of the time my FPS is near 100. Lower in AH-64D. Fastest FPS wise fixed wing mod is Harrier. Fastest rotary is KA-50III, at 120+ FPS.  Hind and and UH-1H have close similar performance slightly slower then KA-50, around 90-100 FPS. Worst rotaries are AH-64D and Gazelle 50-80 FPS. Mig-21bis is about 80 -100 depending on theater and scene.

Fastest non DCS level module are SU-25T and F-15C. I get 150 average. With DLSS and DLAA the HUD in FC level modules (SU-25T, F-15C, Mig, SU) blur smears a lot. I do NOT use motion blur, so the blur smear has to be related to DLSS/DLAA. However if I do screen cap the blur smear is not captured. HUD appears crisp in cap JPG, but blurry and smeared in flight. But I spend so little time in FC , that it matters little to me. I do like to practice landing in MIg-29 as it has realistic landing gear performance that is far less forgiving then multiple DCS level mods. 

Worst performing map is South Atlantic. Its not only slowest in FPS, but most unstable. Syria (especcially Cypress) has gotten a lot better in 2.9 and generally has been slightly improving in later 2.8 updates.  PG, Georgia, and Mariannas have remained the same, which is good.

South Atlantic stability has gotten worse, for me, in 2.9.

7 hours ago, Daemoc said:

The Graphics Update FAQ post does mention TAA, but you are right, there is no mention specifically of DLAA.

Both are pretty much the same thing though. DLAA is just a nVidia specific version which has better performance on nVidia GPU's.

If you really want a deep dive into Temporal Anti-Aliasing, I would suggest looking it up on the net. A TLDR version would be a form of anti-aliasing that samples each pixel once and compares that sample with the previous frame to help hide aliasing or jaggies.

TAA does a really good job of getting rid of jaggies with much better performance compared to multi sampling (MSAA), but the down side is it causes some ghosting (smearing) with fast motion. It can also cause anomalies with transparencies.

So in short, for those of who have RTX boards. Turn DLSS and DLAA ON and leave it ON. Yes/No?

It’s really not necessary to use DLSS if you already get decent frame rates. It is meant to give you a performance boost at the expense of quality, which may not be desirable. 

• Like 2

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

^ I use the same combination and it offers relatively the least blurry/ghosty image for me as well (RTX3070 and 1440p monitor here too).

Some gfx imperfections do exist, as inevitable side-effect of any "deep learning" technique, but I consider them a small price to pay for otherwise more efficient antialiasing than old MSAA.

TAA was not for me, though. Way too blurry.

I recommend giving other eyecandy options a try. I think the SSS for example improved forests and vegetation look quite a bit for me, even when put on top of my modest previous shadow settings (medium + flat).

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

My experience so far is, that DLAA is pure Gold. My single biggest issue with the DCS Graphics was the shimmering of edges and lines. MSAA 4x did alleviate this, but it was very taxing and not perfect at all.

DLAA on the other hand, works perfect for me. Faster than MSAA and much better results. I can't even comprehend how good the picture in VR looks now (still has other issues, and will keep playing 2D for the most part, but the improvements are huge).

And I don't have noticed any ghosting or problems with MFDs so far. My Assumption is, that the results of DLAA scale with the overall FPS, which makes kind of sense to me (more raw data - better interpolation).

• Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

I am getting better performance and visual quality with DLSS-quality and PD set to 1.5 than with DLAA and PD set to 1.0. At DLAA and PD 1.0 I see smearing and ghosting. With DLSS and PD 1.5 there is very little ghosting or smearing and better FPS. I suspect this is because the combination of  QVFR and DLSS is offloading a lot of work from my GPU to my CPU. I'm not an expert so would this be a reasonable assumption? 

• Like 1

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

• 1 month later...

I can only agree that DLAA is currently the best anti-aliasing method in DCS. Thanks for this  technology Eagle Dynamics. 

Edited by Flia
  • Like 2

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

9 hours ago, ricktoberfest said:

I wonder if they’ll allow FSR upscaling eventually for us AMD users. I was disappointed that I could only set it at 0.9 max.

This is FSR upscaling. What value did you expect?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

12 minutes ago, Qcumber said:

You set FSR to 0.9. It sets resolution to x0.9 and then upscales to 1.0. 

Yes, but the upscale FSR looks horrible and I already have good FPS, so I hope and wait for the ability to set FSR at above 1 to get better visuals and less shimmering at the sacrifice of a few FPS which I don’t need anyways. I’m on a Rift S, so every little bit of visual quality helps tremendously as long as my frames stay above 40.   Who knows, maybe it won’t help and I should just put the resolution scaling higher, but above 1.4 I don’t see much difference and the FPS start to drop off. 

8 minutes ago, ricktoberfest said:

Who knows, maybe it won’t help and I should just put the resolution scaling higher, but above 1.4 I don’t see much difference and the FPS start to drop off. 

You should try higher PD with FSR.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

22 minutes ago, ricktoberfest said:

Yes, but the upscale FSR looks horrible and I already have good FPS, so I hope and wait for the ability to set FSR at above 1 to get better visuals and less shimmering at the sacrifice of a few FPS which I don’t need anyways. I’m on a Rift S, so every little bit of visual quality helps tremendously as long as my frames stay above 40.   Who knows, maybe it won’t help and I should just put the resolution scaling higher, but above 1.4 I don’t see much difference and the FPS start to drop off. 

Yes. FSR does not look great. Have you tried QVFR? Maybe with a combination of increased central region PD 1.4. I have a rift s too and I agree, above 1.4 is diminishing returns. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, п-к В НАТУРЕ said:

When i first time enabled DLAA - which the part of the standard HIGH profile in DCS btw))    I was in shock because whole picture become blurry. In addition of negative bonus - trails on the edges of the moving models - looks very ugly.  So i back to MSAA or at least TAA

Try DLAA On with Upscaling (DLSS) Off. The blurry effect I think you are getting from DLSS

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

On 1/1/2024 at 4:52 PM, SharpeXB said:

Try DLAA On with Upscaling (DLSS) Off. The blurry effect I think you are getting from DLSS

No, DLAA blurs the image on its own.

There is sharpening slider and it's advised to use it along with DLAA/DLSS. I doubt TAA will be better but MSAA can have some advantages - it's always a  compromise: quality vs performance.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

DLSS hurts a ton on image quality and target identification, but I'd guess is for 4k resolutions. It is an upscalling method with temporal qualities that also induces ghosting.

DLAA is a temporal anti aliasing similar to TAA and does not upscale from a lower resolution than the current you've set on options. I'm running at 1080p and it is my preferred anti aliasing to any other. Less jagged edges than 4x MSAA with 30 to 50% better performance (guessing, but it is substantial) as it performs like 0x MSAA or MSAA off.

The trade off from DLAA is ghosting. Some cockpit displays can display moderate to high level of ghosting but not in the same magnitude as DLSS, which can make cursors on radar screens or similar to completely vanish. DLAA can make it difficult to see blinking elements on cockpit screens like the F-14 TWS designation on bandits which are displayed as blinking as well as Phoenix going pitbull displayed as blinking second to impact numbers next to the contacts.

My squadmate found DLAA with a certain degree of sharpness better than using MSAA for target spotting and ID. Sharpness at 0 is never recommended with temporal methods, though. Non exagerated sharpness values and no artifacts from it.

Edited by Czar66