New pilot model issues / helmet view issue

TheFreshPrince
Go to solution Solved by BIGNEWY,

Hi, first of all the new pilot model looks really great.

So far I've already found some bugs:

1. When looking back, you "zoom out" of the head and the helmet obscures the view. This is actually severe, because as of now, you cannot look back in the Hornet it seems like (2D, don't have VR).

DCS 2023-10-26 17-38-25.png

2. The (oxygen?) hose disappears when looking more forward

DCS 2023-10-26 17-38-50.png

DCS 2023-10-26 17-38-53.png

3. The cord runs through the belt

Screen_231026_173935.png

Edited by TheFreshPrince
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It will definitely be fixed in the next few days. The textures are very beautiful, I noticed that it is also possible to raise the helmet visor but the effect of eye protection in sunlight is missing. Confident that everything will be sorted out soon.

• Like 2

Firma DCS.png

CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700K   3.60 GHz - DDR4 64,0 GB - MSI RTX3080ti - Win 11 64bit

58 minutes ago, Predator-78 said:

It will definitely be fixed in the next few days. The textures are very beautiful, I noticed that it is also possible to raise the helmet visor but the effect of eye protection in sunlight is missing. Confident that everything will be sorted out soon.

How can you do that?

• ED Team
2 hours ago, TheFreshPrince said:

1. When looking back, you "zoom out" of the head and the helmet obscures the view. This is actually severe, because as of now, you cannot look back in the Hornet it seems like (2D, don't have VR).

I am not a fan of it myself but I have been told by the team it is intended. 

I will show this thread to the team however so thank you for your feedback .

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

@BIGNEWY after the last update we have lost the option to remove the JHCMS with the 509 argument, although this option was fantastic to simulate the use of the HGU-55P used by other countries that are not USA, as for example Spain that uses it... I think it has been a big step backwards and it is quite frustrating not to have this option that in our case contributed a lot in the simulation of the Spanish Hornets.....

I attach some images to appreciate the work we put in simulating this type of helmet that we have lost with the last update, I strongly disagree with this decision and I hope ED will consider reincorporating the 509 argument to the model, also the night vision goggles are not modeled as promised and in fact the images that are in the developmet screenshots section do not match what was promised where you can see the helmet without the JHCMS etc.

please give us this option again

Screen_231019_212432.jpg

Screen_230725_190336.jpg

Screen_230725_190356.jpg

In_Dev_16.06.2023.1.jpg

In_Dev_16.06.2023.2.jpg

Screen_230720_185343.jpg

Screen_230720_195731.jpg

Screen_230720_185421.jpg

Edited by Ala12Rv-Muscat
  • Like 1

Sin-ttulo-3-zpskg9bm6js.png

9 minutes ago, Ala12Rv-Muscat said:

@BIGNEWY after the last update we have lost the option to remove the JHCMS with the 509 argument, although this option was fantastic to simulate the use of the HGU-55P used by other countries that are not USA, as for example Spain that uses it... I think it has been a big step backwards and it is quite frustrating not to have this option that in our case contributed a lot in the simulation of the Spanish Hornets.....

I attach some images to appreciate the work we put in simulating this type of helmet that we have lost with the last update, I strongly disagree with this decision and I hope ED will consider reincorporating the 509 argument to the model, also the night vision goggles are not modeled as promised and in fact the images that are in the developmet screenshots section do not match what was promised where you can see the helmet without the JHCMS etc.

Screen_231019_212432.jpg

Screen_230725_190336.jpg

Screen_230725_190356.jpg

In_Dev_16.06.2023.1.jpg

In_Dev_16.06.2023.2.jpg

it is literally work in progress....
I cannot speak for ED of course, but I guess simply the argument was removed because the model is different, so I think it will be reintroduced (again..just my guess).

• Like 1

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

That head in back view is complete nonsence. There is already requests to make it optional for VR users in AH-64D. Answer was that all is ok. No it isn't it is big problem if you fly in VR. I am sure it is distracting and immersion breaker with flat screen as well.

Now Hornet is plagued with this "feature". Great.

Edited by ataribaby
  • Like 4

hace 3 minutos, VirusAM dijo:

it is literally work in progress....
I cannot speak for ED of course, but I guess simply the argument was removed because the model is different, so I think it will be reintroduced (again..just my guess).

I hope you're right buddy...

vor 37 Minuten schrieb Ala12Rv-Muscat:

Screen_231019_212432.jpg

Screen_230725_190336.jpg

Screen_230725_190356.jpg

In_Dev_16.06.2023.1.jpg

In_Dev_16.06.2023.2.jpg

Screen_230720_185343.jpg

Screen_230720_195731.jpg

Screen_230720_185421.jpg

Strange way of saying „Thank you ED for the new pilot model which even salutes now on the carrier…would be nice though if…..“

• Like 2

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png

hace 35 minutos, Phantom711 dijo:

Strange way of saying „Thank you ED for the new pilot model which even salutes now on the carrier…would be nice though if…..“

and here we have another blind fan with no criteria... thanks for your very useful comment.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

vor 2 Stunden schrieb BIGNEWY:

Ugh, okay. I personally prefer to have the pilot model activated, because I think it's a bit more immersive. Also the new model looks really pretty. But there's no way to dogfight with it and even flying formation is gonna be hard since the helmet blocks the view already shortly beyond 90°, so it will be deactivated most of the time. Bit of a pitty. 

PS: Are they planning this for all modules? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Has the team ever watched in-cockpit footage of BFM in real life? Pilots contort their bodies all over to get a clear view behind them, so such "boundaries" are completely unrealistic. The only boundary should be the canopy glass, and the only view obstructions should be the seat and associated parts.

uAMsOPW.png

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 13

36 minutes ago, Nealius said:

Has the team ever watched in-cockpit footage of BFM in real life? Pilots contort their bodies all over to get a clear view behind them, so such "boundaries" are completely unrealistic. The only boundary should be the canopy glass, and the only view obstructions should be the seat and associated parts.

uAMsOPW.png

That's exactly how I move to look behind me during BFM in VR. In the F-18 now the head appears and gets in the way. Hope they can make the pilot head optional, for now I disable the pilot body during BFM. Also if they decide to remove the pilot head... it would be nice if the shadow of the head in the cockpit still shows just like it is in the F15E now.

Edited by f14billy
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

I can guess it's just a question of adjusting the distance from the view origin at which the head model visibility is triggered. Could the team be so kind of making it a bit bigger to allow some more room for the physical movements of the users without triggering the head visibility? Edit: Or even better, if that parameter is exposed in some lua file, could they tell us where is it?

By the way, will the torso follow the head at some point in the future with a bit of inverse kinematics?

Edited by average_pilot
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Nealius said:

uAMsOPW.png

THis!!! I would also really like it if it was possible to stop the pilots head moving through the canopy or seat somehow......which is a real immersion killer

• Like 4

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

• ED Team
11 hours ago, Ala12Rv-Muscat said:

after the last update we have lost the option to remove the JHCMS with the 509 argument

I have asked internally about the argument, when I get a reply I will post. 

thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

5 ore fa, BIGNEWY ha scritto:

Ho chiesto internamente riguardo all'argomento, quando avrò una risposta la pubblicherò. 

Grazie

Can you also ask if the dark lens effect will be implemented to protect the eyes from the sun's rays? That would be a great thing in counter-light flying conditions, thanks.

• Like 1

Firma DCS.png

CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700K   3.60 GHz - DDR4 64,0 GB - MSI RTX3080ti - Win 11 64bit

Hi, I use track ir to play DCS F-18 and I have observed that when turning my head to the left or right when reaching the limit, the helmet of the new pilot introduced in the 2.9 hot fix appears. The helmet of the previous 2.8 pilot did not appear. This creates a sensation as if I were outside the pilot's body, which does not happen when looking straight ahead.

• ED Team

Hi this is already reported and we will have a fix in a future patch. In the mean time you can disable the pilot body if required. 

thank you 

• Like 1

• ED Team
  • Solution

The pilot helmet getting in the way when you look behind will be fixed in a future patch. 

Please remember for now you can disable the pilot body if required.

Thank you

threads merged

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• BIGNEWY changed the title to New pilot model issues / helmet view issue

On the plus side, the new pilot body is great, very impressed and using in VR, with necksafer, it is not an impediment to the view when looking back over your shoulder............

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit.