DCS Newsletter discussion 10th November 2023 - Mi-24P New Campaign and Pilot Model | AGM-45 Shrike Development | Virpil's Shadow's Trophy 23

BIGNEWY

• ED Team

DCS Newsletter discussion 10th November 2023 - Mi-24P New Campaign and Pilot Model | AGM-45 Shrike Development | Virpil's Shadow's Trophy 23

Dear Fighter Pilots, Partners and Friends,

The DCS: Mi-24P Hind module is receiving an official set of missions, united by a common plot. We are delighted to inform you that the Mi-24P ‘Revanche’ Campaign will be included in the next DCS 2.9 open beta update. This is a sister campaign to the original DCS: Su-25 Frogfoot campaign and guaranteed to test your skills in radio, navigation and weapons deployment.

In the lead up to the highly anticipated DCS: F-4E Phantom early access by Heatblur Simulations, we have prepared a preview of the new AGM-45 Shrike anti-radiation missile currently in development. Please read the details below. 

We are pleased to join the VIRPIL Controls team in celebration of the annual Shadow’s Trophy Tournament 2023 competition, which has now started. An impressive prize pool is up for grabs so make sure to get involved in the helicopter racing mayhem. Read the regulations!

Thank you for your passion and support.

Yours sincerely,
Eagle Dynamics

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/newsletters/17953324c0ccd1d9c58df263d5725308/

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Really happy with the higher fidelity and more realistic approach to the Shrike’s seekers :thumbup:

• Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

11 minutes ago, joker62 said:

Really very interesting, an exciting further note of realism.

Yeah, hopefully this will be extended to other weapons in the game (e.g. Sidearm comes to mind which also uses multiple seeker heads for specific threats).

Kind of insensitive choice for a Mi-24P campaign to put it mildly, I'll just leave it at that.

Edited by Dudikoff
  • Like 3

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

1 hour ago, Dudikoff said:

Yeah, hopefully this will be extended to other weapons in the game (e.g. Sidearm comes to mind which also uses multiple seeker heads for specific threats).

Kind of insensitive choice for a Mi-24P campaign to put it mildly, I'll just leave it at that.

Also hopefully it will move away from the Mission Editor and into the Weapon Select Re-Arm/Re-Fuel panel, (with the limited information we have currently) it seems that's going to be a real limitation for the Multi-Player side of things, doubly so when Dynamic Campaign releases if you can't respond to evolving threats. 

Edited by Rakkis
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Rakkis said:

Also hopefully it will move away from the Mission Editor and into the Weapon Select Re-Arm/Re-Fuel panel, (with the limited information we have currently) it seems that's going to be a real limitation for the Multi-Player side of things, doubly so when Dynamic Campaign releases if you can't respond to evolving threats.

This feature looks to be using the fusing window, which is configurable from the rearming/refueling window during missions.

Having it be able to be set in the mission editor would still be useful though, for instance when air-starting.

EDIT: BIGNEWY confirmed on hoggit that this will indeed be the case, so you'll be able to set it either in the mission editor or during a mission from the rearming and refueling menu.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb BIGNEWY:

Dear Fighter Pilots, Partners and Friends,

The DCS: Mi-24P Hind module is receiving an official set of missions, united by a common plot. We are delighted to inform you that the Mi-24P ‘Revanche’ Campaign will be included in the next DCS 2.9 open beta update. This is a sister campaign to the original DCS: Su-25 Frogfoot campaign and guaranteed to test your skills in radio, navigation and weapons deployment.

Sounds nice. But when will there finally be a finished manual?

• Like 2

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

The AGM-45 Shrike missiles were widely used in the US Air Force by many tactical aircraft since the Vietnam War. In fact, they were the main ARM of both the multi-role F-4E Phantom aircraft and the specialized F-4G Wild Weasel. In DCS, you will be required to select the seeker from a special weapon settings panel in the Mission Editor. 

I hope that will also be possible through the rearm & refuel panel, the comms menu or the kneeboard during a mission while staying on the ground, ideally in a way that other devs can make use of that as well like the A-4E-C team even. Sounds great!

BTW I wish the screenshot showing the menu was in higher res.

Edit: Maybe I should have read the thread before... but anyways. Good to know this will be accessible during a mission!

Edited by Eldur
  • Like 2

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

On 11/10/2023 at 6:47 PM, SlipHavoc said:

Is there a reference somewhere showing what band every radar in the game uses?

Apart from Googling, it doesn't seem so - the Encyclopedia seems to mostly have it covered, though sometimes it switches between the IEEE designation (such as for the AN/MPQ-50 PAR and AN/MPQ-64F1) and the (new) NATO designation. The screenshot in the newsletter is using the NATO system

Anyway here's a list of land-based systems, though the vast majority aren't going to be all that applicable to the Shrike (which mainly targets the E, F and I bands - I'll boldface radars the Shrike is mostly intended for, though the AGM-45A/B-10 supposedly has a more broadband seeker able to target various radars):

• 1L13 Nebo-SV [Box Spring]: NATO A-band, IEEE: VHF-band.
  • 2K12M3 Kub-M3 [SA-6B Gainful]:
    • 1S91M3 [Straight Flush]:
      • 1S11 (acquisition): NATO C-band, IEEE UHF-band
      • 1S13 (track/fire-control): NATO: I-band, IEEE: X-band
  • 2K22 Tunguska (2S6) [SA-19 Grison]:
    • 1RL144 [Hot Shot]: acquisition: NATO E/F-band, IEEE: S-band.
    • 1RL144 [Hot Shot]: track/fire-control: NATO I-band, IEEE: X-band.
  • 55G6 Nebo [Tall Rack]: NATO A-band, IEEE VHF-band.
  • 9K33M2 Osa-AK [SA-8B Gecko Mod 0]
    • [Land Roll]:
      • Acquisition: NATO H-band, IEEE C-band
      • Track/Fire Control: NATO J-band, IEEE Ku-band.
  • 9K37M1 Buk-M1 [SA-11 Gadfly]:
    • 9S18M1 [Snow Drift]: NATO H/I-band, IEEE C/X-band.
    • 9S35M1 [Fire Dome]: NATO H/I-band, IEEE C/X-band.
  • 9K330 Tor [SA-15A Gauntlet]:
    • [Scrum Half]:
      • Acquisition: NATO E/F-band, IEEE S-band
      • Track/Fire-Control: NATO G/H-band, IEEE: C/X-band.
  • 9S80M1 Sborka (PPRU-M1 Ovod-M1) [Dog Ear]: NATO G-band, IEEE: S-band.
  • AN/FPS-117: NATO D-band, IEEE L-band.
  • FlaRakRad Roland 2:
    • Domino 3D (Track/Fire-control): NATO J-band, IEEE Ku-band.
    • MPDR-16 (Acquisition): NATO D-band, IEEE S-band.
  • Flakpanzer Gepard:
    • MPDR-12 (Acquisition): NATO: E-band, IEEE: S-band.
    • Track/Fire-control: NATO: J-band, IEEE: Ku-band.
  • HQ-7B (FM-90) [CSA-7 Sino-Crotale]:
    • Acquisition: ???
    • Fire-control: NATO J-band, IEEE Ku-band.
  • MIM-23B I-HAWK PIP Phase 1:
    • AN/MPQ-46 HPIR: NATO H/I-band, IEEE: X-band.
    • AN/MPQ-50 IPAR: NATO C-band, IEEE: L-band.
    • AN/MPQ-55 ICWAR: NATO J-band, IEEE: Ku-band.
  • MIM-104C Patriot PAC-2:
    • AN/MPQ-53 RS: NATO G/H-band, IEEE C/X-band.
  • NASAMS II:
    • AN/MPQ-64F1 Sentinel: NATO H/I-band, IEEE X-band.
  • Rapier/Rapier FSA:
    • Dagger (acquisition): NATO J-band, IEEE Ku-band.
    • DN 181 Blindfire FSA: NATO F-band, IEEE S-band.
  • S-75M/V1 Volkhov [SA-2D/E Guideline/Guideline Mod 3]
    • SNR-75M3 [Fan Song-E]: NATO G-band, IEEE C-band.
    • RD-75 Amazonka: ???
  • S-125M Neva-M [SA-3B Goa]:
    • P-19 Dunay [Flat Face-B]: NATO C-band, IEEE UHF-band.
    • SNR-125M [Low Blow]: NATO I-band, IEEE X-band.
  • S-200M/VE Vega [SA-5B Gammon]:
    • 5N62V [Square Pair]: NATO H-band, IEEE C-band.
  • S-300PS [SA-10B Grumble]:
    • 5N59S/36D6/ST-68U [Tin Shield-B]: NATO E/F-band, IEEE S-band.
    • 5N63S [Flap Lid-B]: NATO I/J-band, IEEE X/Ku-band.
    • 5N64S [Big Bird-B]: NATO E/F-band, IEEE S-band.
    • 5N66M [Clam Shell]: NATO I-band, IEEE X-band.
  • SON-9 [Fire Can]: NATO E-band, IEEE S-band.
  • ZSU-23-4
    • RPK-2 Tobol (1RL33) [Gun Dish]: NATO J-band, IEEE Ku-band.

If we ever get the P-37 implemented as a functional unit (also a primary target for the Shrike), that'll be a NATO E/F-band, IEEE S-band radar.

Note that in many cases (Scrum Half, Straight Flush, Land Roll, Domino 3D/MPDR-16 etc), DCS treats the 2 radars as 1 system, not sure if that'll change, but I've listed everything here for completeness.

As for naval radars, I'm not sure it's worth listing them all (though I'll probably do it anyway if I get around to it); a decent amount of them are completely undefined, use the definition from a land-based radar or from another different radar. For instance: the AN/SPY-1A (Ticonderoga), AN/SPY-1D(V) (Arleigh Burke) and Mk 92 CAS (Oliver Hazard Perry), all use the definition from the AN/MPQ-53 from the Patriot; the 4R33 Baza [Pop Group] uses the defintion from the Land Roll; the 3R95 Podkat [Cross Swords] from the Scrum Half.

One fire-control radar I can name that isn't reused from something else though is the Mk 95 illuminators, used for NSSMS/IBPDMS (MRS-3 and Type 909 on the Leanders and Invincible respectively also uses this definition), this is a NATO I-band, IEEE X-band radar.

Edited by Northstar98
formatting
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

System:

8 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

I'll boldface radars the Shrike is mostly intended for

Yup, those would be the single-digit systems (using the NATO designations), and it will be easy enough to memorise the appropriate bands/seeker heads for those after using them a few times 🙂 

• Like 2
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Newsletter bug 😉:

image.png

but

The "Revanche" campaign for the Hind and the brand new 3D pilot model are
slated to be included in the next DCS 2.9 open beta update. Stay tuned

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro