A or B Version? What do you prefer?

kotor633

Hi,

Just out of curiosity: Which version do you prefer to travel with, the A or B version? What appeals to you about each version?

Personally, I like the A version better. I love the 'shrill whistle' of the engines. And also that with the A version you have to fly more proactively because of the weaker engine; you have to work with her more.
My focus is generally on the 'Bombcat' when it comes to the F-14.

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

I prefer B over A because I love having that much power quickly available to me.  The TF30 lags and complains too much haha.  But i do like the A, and respect it.

v6,

boNes

• Like 1

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

A because it's more relevant for the missions I create.

The earlier F-14A-135-GR will probably be my go to once it releases as it's the most appropriate version for 1980s Cold War missions.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I usually fly the B. Just for creature comforts. My gross motor skills are marginal enough. Fighting with the engine on top would just tip me over the edge probably..... 😅

• Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

IMO the best advantage the B has over the A is high altitude endurance. The B can cruise at 5000pph while the A takes 6000 to stay in the air. The B also climbs much faster in MIL power, saving even more gas.

Edited by sLYFa

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

Both.

A - for the challenge and getting a sense of what most F-14 pilots had to contend with for 20 odd years.

B - for the fact that this version better represents Grumman's vision of what the Tomcat should have been (TF-30 was only ever supposed to be the development engine, the P&W F401 was intended to have powered the fleet variants). The F110 version better reflects the Power to Weight ratio the F-14 was supposed to have.

Edited by DD_Fenrir
  • Like 4

Sheer performance, the "B," but I also enjoy the "A" for a number of reasons, not the least of which its history, amazing 1970s high-viz liveries, and the challenge of employing it.

• Like 1

Rig: i9 10900KF @5.3GHz | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3090 24GB OC | ASUS Maximus XII Formula | 2x 2TB Intel SSD6 NVMe M.2 | VKB F-14CG on Gunfighter III Base | TM Warthog HOTAS | TM Rudder Pedals | HP Reverb G2

Hangar: FC3 | F-86F | F-4E [Pre-Ordered] | F-5E | F-14A/B | F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | Mirage 2000C | JF-17 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19P | MiG-21bis | AJS-37 | AV-8B | L39 | C-101 | A-10C/CII | Yak-52 | P-51D | P-47D | Fw 190 A-8/D-9 | Bf 109 | Spitfire | I-16 | UH-1 Huey

On 11/16/2023 at 12:05 PM, DD_Fenrir said:

B - for the fact that this version better represents Grumman's vision of what the Tomcat should have been (TF-30 was only ever supposed to be the development engine, the P&W F401 was intended to have powered the fleet variants). The F110 version better reflects the Power to Weight ratio the F-14 was supposed to have.

Fair point. No plane flying in the year 2000 was the same as it was in 1975. Vipers, Eagles, the lot. They got a plenty of updates for both engines and systems. 

I prefer B all the way. Find energy management extremely difficult when I can’t feel anything. The Bs engines almost make that unnecessary. 

On 11/17/2023 at 4:10 PM, Swordsman422 said:

Depends on what I'm doing. I prefer the B for ACM, bombing, and most other combat functions, but I have found for some reason I am far better in the F-14A at carrier landings, aerial refueling, and general procedure flying.

This. Except I never did bombing. I guess the TF30 is slower in ramping up so that there is more time to react and not overspeed it.

And I love the colorfull Liveries of the A. The Old Look is just like the muscle cars have been. Beefy, well rounded but sharp and it has presence. And this Pride. It doesn't hide, it shows itself. It reminds me of a Stallion rearing up.

Edited by FR4GGL3
  • Like 2

14700K | MSI Z690 Carbon | Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC | 64GB DDR5 6000 G.Skill Ripjaws S5 | Creative SoundBlaster X-FI Titanium HD on a Violectric V90 Headphone amp and Fostex TH600 Headphones | LG 42 C227LA & Samsung C32HG70 | TrackIR 5 | Virpil WarBRD with VFX Grip | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle | VKB T-Rudder Pedals MK IV 

I only fool around the F-14 - and still having a hard time on it as there is so much to learn and so little time and talent. But I love it.

I choose both depending on my mood. I don´t want to truly "choose". Monogamy is not a thing I do in DCS World.
I like B model liveries more, though.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle