Fire Control Radar

JOEM423
Go to solution Solved by Jetguy06,

New video!

Looks like December patch (I suppose!).

• Like 2

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Anyone know if we will we ned to update our missions and add the FCR in the editor or will it be selectable as a re-arming object?

itching to get ahead of the game in preparation of it coming out 😉

Visit the Dangerdogz at www.dangerdogz.com. We are a group based on having fun (no command structure, no expectations of attendance, no formal skills required, that is not to say we can not get serious for special events, of which we have many). We play DCS and IL2 GBS. We have two groups one based in North America / Canada and one UK / Europe. Come check us out. 

7 minutes ago, DD_Friar said:

Anyone know if we will we ned to update our missions and add the FCR in the editor or will it be selectable as a re-arming object?

itching to get ahead of the game in preparation of it coming out 😉

See last FCR-Video in the description:

NOTE 3. We will add the FCR to the reloading pop-up.

• Thanks 1

Main machine: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64Gb 3600Mhz, ASrock RX 7900 XTX

Second machine: Ryzen 5 5600X, 32Gb 3600Mhz, MSI 2070 Super

Equipment: microHELIS Bell 206 Pedale + Toe-Brakes, microHELIS OH-58D Collective, microHELIS OH-58D Cyclic, Realteus Forcefeel, TrackIR 5

On 12/13/2023 at 9:22 AM, ouky1991 said:

Do you have to be in hover in order to use FCR, or is there some kind of speed limit for it to work?

No - I don't believe hovering is required for the use of FCR. At least, I can't see anywhere that is specified.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the same question (sort of). I've rewatched the videos to make sure I'm doing things correctly. I get set up in a hot-start Apache - FCR on and active, FCR screen selected, master arm on, trigger guard off, get in position, hover, scan - nothing shows up (except for one time - one vehicle out of several appeared for while then was gone in subsequent scans). I've tried adjusting elevation - no luck (so set it back to auto). Since then nothing has shown up on FCR in two different missions with different vehicle types (Russian armour and SAMs).

What am I missing please?

---------------

EDIT:  Just hopped in a MP server and tried it out - all working as expected (as per Wag's videos). Not sure what was happening with my SP training missions - some setting missing or wrong somewhere I assume.

Edited by RangerGav

• ED Team
28 minutes ago, 16th Widowmakr said:

I know the patch has just come out but does anyone know how to enable the FCR in the pilot seat? I must be missing something.

Without a track or video it’s impossible to know where you are going wrong. But this video should get you started. 

• Like 2

Definitely having issues with a human CPG.

This might be the "desync" issue that was mentioned in the patch notes, but it is more than just an issue of where it works for the CPG but the PLT doesn't sync; it isn't working reliably for either of us.

Half the time we get no returns, some of the time we get returns that the CPG sees but the PLT doesn't.  Sometimes it's revered and the PLT sees the returns and the CPG doesn't.

If I fly solo, it works fine.

Maybe someone from ED can confirm what we should expect in a multi-crew environment at this time?

(If this is unexpected behavior and it should be working at least for the CPG, I would be glad to provide a track.)

Edited by Floyd1212

1 hour ago, Wags said:

Without a track or video it’s impossible to know where you are going wrong. But this video should get you started. 

Thanks Matt. Actually the problem I am having is how to select the FCR as the pilots sight? I can get the FCR page up but you have to select it as your sight as pilot or cpg correct? I can select it in the cpg seat but missing how you select it in the pilot seat.

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor 3.4 GHz

32 Gb RAM, Nvidea GTX 1050 TI

Water Cooled, Windows 10 64 bit

Have the FCR working pretty good in the CPG seat but still having trouble with the Pilot. A few videos I have watched say just pull the trigger. What trigger? the one on the collective? what is it called in the controls set up?

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor 3.4 GHz

32 Gb RAM, Nvidea GTX 1050 TI

Water Cooled, Windows 10 64 bit

On 12/20/2023 at 3:21 AM, Floyd1212 said:

Definitely having issues with a human CPG.

This might be the "desync" issue that was mentioned in the patch notes, but it is more than just an issue of where it works for the CPG but the PLT doesn't sync; it isn't working reliably for either of us.

Half the time we get no returns, some of the time we get returns that the CPG sees but the PLT doesn't.  Sometimes it's revered and the PLT sees the returns and the CPG doesn't.

If I fly solo, it works fine.

Maybe someone from ED can confirm what we should expect in a multi-crew environment at this time?

(If this is unexpected behavior and it should be working at least for the CPG, I would be glad to provide a track.)

I also have the feeling something is wonky with multicrewing and time shared use of the FCR between both seats. I wasn't able to pinpoint the issue yet though. I feel like it has something to do with slewing the FCR to the side in one seat and then trying to use it in the other seat.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

FCR worked well for me as pilot, one thing I am not sure if is if hellfires can be rippled? The ripple.ootion seems to only be available when the pilots helmet is selected as the site, once fcr is selected there are less options. Assume this is correct but not quite sure why or what the difference would be. I know bit of a gamer thing to do, you can fire them with gap of 2-3 seconds in between, but not sure what the ripple mode does for the pilots helmet. 

33 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

FCR worked well for me as pilot, one thing I am not sure if is if hellfires can be rippled? The ripple.ootion seems to only be available when the pilots helmet is selected as the site, once fcr is selected there are less options. Assume this is correct but not quite sure why or what the difference would be. I know bit of a gamer thing to do, you can fire them with gap of 2-3 seconds in between, but not sure what the ripple mode does for the pilots helmet. 

Ripple mode is a specific mode for the Laser missile, which alternates laser codes. It does not apply to the RF missile.
However, you can ‘ripple’ the RF missiles as fast as you can pull the tigger. You’ll notice the NTS (FCR next to shoot) target will automatically cycle to the next target every time you shoot a RF missile.
You can ripple all 16 in this way. Just be sure to use PF zones to limit/prioritise the target area of interest. 

1 hour ago, 16th Widowmakr said:

What does the FCR Mode switch do? i.e. FCR Mode Switch - GTM/UP?

Nothing at the moment, but in the future it will allow you to switch between Air Target Mode, Ground Target Mode, Radar Map, and Terrain Profile Mode for the FCR. First two are self explanatory, RMAP is like a B-Scope GTM, TPM gives you a picture of the terrain with the radar.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2023 at 10:42 PM, 16th Widowmakr said:

What does the FCR Mode switch do? i.e. FCR Mode Switch - GTM/UP?

The radar mode switch switches... the radar modes.

GTM, or ground target mapping, is a PPI (plan position indicator) scope, meaning it's a top down view where angles and ranges are not skewed in any way. It can identify and classify moving and stationary ground targets and low flying aircraft.

RMAP is the same, but in a B-Scope format, meaning that azimuth is distorted such that each vertical line is a separate azimuth line, as commonly found in fighter jets' radars. other than that, it's exactly the same as GTM.

ATM, or air target mode, has the radar defaulted upwards by 3° and there is no automatic elevation control. It's a PPI scope designed to find air targets. the radar sweep is also not limited to 90° as with the ground modes and in the wide setting it will rotate all the way around, with a blind spot behind the aircraft due to the tail. Medium scan size is 180°, narrow is 90° and zoom is 45°.

For all 3, C-Scope (elevation over azimuth scope) can project target symbols onto the HMD/TADS.

TPM, or terrain profile mode, is used to detect terrain and obstacles, such as power poles or antenna towers. It has a NEAR mode which scans -3° out to roughly 1000m, and a far mode at -0.5° for 2500m. Weather, such as heavy rain, might limit you to near mode effectively (not sure if DCS will model weather effects on radar). In TPM, the scan zone is determined by the ground speed and it switches automatically from 180° to 90° if you accelerate past 55 knots and back to 180° when you slow down below 45 knots. On the radar screen you will see black for safe, dark gray for an altitude below aircraft but above the margin set on the FCR page (can be set to 20, 50, 100 or 200ft), white for terrain above the aircraft altitude, and bright gray for radar shadow/unknown elevation. Obstacles will be shown in yellow as symbols. C-Scope can also project terrain profile lines (none and up to 4) at different distances (different preset settings are available for those distances) and obstacles onto the HMD.

Edited by FalcoGer
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 16th Widowmakr said:

Can LOAL and LOBL both be used with the radar hellfire?

Yes. All LOAL means is 'not LOBL', where it's lofted in the direction of the target and then sent looking as it flies out. 

For a radar hellfire to be LOBL, the target must be either moving or within 2.5km of the launch platform. At this point, the radar in the missile nose will attempt to acquire the target via its own radar emitter. It'll continue to track the target (giving an 'RF TRACK' message and a big box, showing it as being a LOBL launch). If it cannot track, you'll have a 'No Acquire' message and need to re-WAS the missile to give it new data.

TL;DR: Yes; small box for LOAL, big box for LOBL (targets less than 2.5km or are moving).

EDIT: And you don't necessarily need the FCR to use these for either mode.

Edited by LorenLuke

On 12/19/2023 at 8:04 PM, RangerGav said:

I have the same question (sort of). I've rewatched the videos to make sure I'm doing things correctly. I get set up in a hot-start Apache - FCR on and active, FCR screen selected, master arm on, trigger guard off, get in position, hover, scan - nothing shows up (except for one time - one vehicle out of several appeared for while then was gone in subsequent scans). I've tried adjusting elevation - no luck (so set it back to auto). Since then nothing has shown up on FCR in two different missions with different vehicle types (Russian armour and SAMs).

What am I missing please?

---------------

EDIT:  Just hopped in a MP server and tried it out - all working as expected (as per Wag's videos). Not sure what was happening with my SP training missions - some setting missing or wrong somewhere I assume.

I  had the same issue, it turned out the radar couldn't detect the targets I had placed on the map, in an area with a little too many trees. 🙂 Moved them out into the open and I became a death-dealing machine.

I think I'm firing George

39 minutes ago, 16th Widowmakr said:

When I select the FCR I am no longer able to fire the gun from the pilot seat. Is this normal or am I missing something? I can fire the gun before I turn on the FCR but after I can not.

Is there a detected target with the FCR? If there's no targets detected with the FCR as a sight, then there's nothing to aim the gun at and thus it won't shoot (see: LOS INVALID, which is a safety inhibit).

Edited by NeedzWD40