13 hours ago, Tusk.V said:

Definitely drops my FPS on Hornet Free Flight. I would say on average probably 4-5 frames.

The clouds are different in that flight even though I didn't change anything. If you look towards the mountains on the left, by default the clouds are quite a ways above them. With you mod, the peaks are covered up and it starts raining when you get closer.

I really want to use this but can't give up the performance. For now....

I accidently left a few edits in on the default weather presets. That Hornet free flight mission was using "Broken 2" preset and I had edited that preset to add some light rain while testing.

I'll post an update to clean that up. Unfortunately, rain and heavy clouds has a performance hit whether its my mod or a default preset. If you're flying in VR and need FPS its best to keep light clouds and no precip.

• Like 1

PC Hardware: Asus Maximus XIII Hero / i9-10900K / 64 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE / Samsung 960 NVMe / LG OLED48CX / Reverb G2

Flight Controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / VKB T-RUDDER MKIV / Cougar MFD Set

DCS Modules: F-14 Tomcat / F/A-18C Hornet / AV-8B NA / F-5E Tiger II / A-10C Warthog / F-16C Viper / UH-1 Huey / LOFC3 / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / P-51D Mustang / WWII Assets Pack / Normandy 1944 / NTTR Map / Persian Gulf Map / Syria Map

54 minutes ago, bandit648 said:

I accidently left a few edits in on the default weather presets. That Hornet free flight mission was using "Broken 2" preset and I had edited that preset to add some light rain while testing.

I'll post an update to clean that up. Unfortunately, rain and heavy clouds has a performance hit whether its my mod or a default preset. If you're flying in VR and need FPS its best to keep light clouds and no precip.

Sounds good. Great work! 

Specs: i7 13700KF @ 5.5, 64Gb RAM, RTX 4090, Pimax Crystal

This looks great! I can't wait to get home from family Christmas to try this!

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

First post updated for version 2.

Screen_240106_130518.png

Screen_240106_160237.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

PC Hardware: Asus Maximus XIII Hero / i9-10900K / 64 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE / Samsung 960 NVMe / LG OLED48CX / Reverb G2

Flight Controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / VKB T-RUDDER MKIV / Cougar MFD Set

DCS Modules: F-14 Tomcat / F/A-18C Hornet / AV-8B NA / F-5E Tiger II / A-10C Warthog / F-16C Viper / UH-1 Huey / LOFC3 / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / P-51D Mustang / WWII Assets Pack / Normandy 1944 / NTTR Map / Persian Gulf Map / Syria Map

• bandit648 changed the title to Weather mod v2 for DCS
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Valium said:

Could you describe all presets which are avaible now?

I just updated the mod to version 3 on user files. It now has a total of 23 new weather presets. I added sample thumbnail images for each preset in this new version that were taken in game from each cloud type. In general the new presets include these different cloud/weather types:

Scattered showers

Overcast with rain

Scattered Cumulus

Low level stratus

Altostratus (mid level stratus)

High Level Cirrus clouds

6 hours ago, 352ndDeacon said:

And also what the settings should be for a “pea soup” type of fog at ground level for a tank battle. Thank yo7 in advance. 

Two ways to do that. You can use the Fog setting from the weather panel and adjust visibility and thickness accordingly. This gives a uniform fog or haze that covers the entire map.

Another way is to choose one of the Low level stratus cloud presets and set the base altitude very low. Anywhere between 0 and 2000ft  but depends on the elevation of your ground units are. Stratus clouds are basically fog when at low altitude so this is more realistic.

Edited by bandit648
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Mod updated to version 3 on user files. Please update as this version has some important additions and fixes. Feedback welcomed.

Here are some screenshots from  Version 3:

DCS 2024-01-09 15-46-34.png

DCS 2024-01-09 15-44-25.png

DCS 2024-01-09 13-21-27.png

DCS 2024-01-09 13-16-01.png

Edited by bandit648
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• bandit648 changed the title to Weather mod v3 for DCS

These new presets you've made are absolutely beautiful!

The low level stratus 4 preset in particular is lovely and very different from anything we've seen before.  👌

The ability to adjust cloud base fully on all the presets is really useful too.

The old cloud system shows its limitations I feel however when trying to create towering cumulus and thunder storms. They end up being wide at the top and narrow at the base more like a decaying storm and the sky looks rather messy and unconvincing. So Ill stick with the presets for now and hope ED adds some thunderstorm presets you can week when they do.

Thank you for sharing 😊

Edited by swartbyron

Oh, I've just downloaded V3 and noticed my favourite preset from V2 "low level stratus 4" is missing or changed? Any chance you could add it back in the future?

I've also noticed the default Cirrus clouds have been disabled for all presets? I'm quite fond of the default Cirrus, but never liked the blank it loads between the different sets after they fade out. What do I have to edit to get them back?

A MiG-29s flyes over Low Level Stratus 4 in V2 👌Screen_240109_231728.jpg

Edited by swartbyron

1 hour ago, swartbyron said:

Oh, I've just downloaded V3 and noticed my favourite preset from V2 "low level stratus 4" is missing or changed? Any chance you could add it back in the future?

I've also noticed the default Cirrus clouds have been disabled for all presets? I'm quite fond of the default Cirrus, but never liked the blank it loads between the different sets after they fade out. What do I have to edit to get them back?

A MiG-29s flyes over Low Level Stratus 4 in V2 👌

I'll add that low level stratus 4 preset back in and post an update. If you want to re-enable the default cirrus disable the mod in OVGME and delete the "enlight" folder in \Bazar\shaders in the mod path. Then re-enable. If not using OVGME restore \Bazar\shaders\enlight\cirrus.fx to its original.

I originally tried to mod the default cirrus and improve the low res textures used. The problem is that I can't figure out any way to change the fade in/fade out behavior. I think it may be hard coded in the weather.dll as nothing I've tried in the cirrus.fx file seems to change it. I opted to try using the volumetric clouds for the cirrus layer in this update. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bandit648 said:

If not using OVGME restore \Bazar\shaders\enlight\cirrus.fx to its original.

Thanks, I was trying to restore the Cirrus.fx in Bazar\shaders\clouds and it must be redundant.

8 hours ago, bandit648 said:

I'll add that low level stratus 4 preset back in and post an update.

Thanks 🙏

• bandit648 changed the title to Weather mod v4 for DCS

Updated to version 4 and added several new presets.

DCS 2024-01-09 21-30-31.png

DCS 2024-01-10 21-34-59.png

DCS 2024-01-10 23-00-43.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• ED Team

Hi, 

yes it looks great, we have more weather work to come in the future but I will share this thread with the team. 

thanks

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Here's a few screenshots from a new altocumulus set I'm working on. 

DCS 2024-01-12 16-52-53_new.png

DCS 2024-01-12 16-51-38_new.png

DCS 2024-01-12 16-44-49_new.png

DCS 2024-01-12 16-57-30_new.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

And a few screens from V4 of the mod...

Screen_240112_101706.png

Screen_240112_095659.png

Screen_240111_212454.png

Screen_240111_212044.png

• Like 8

This is just brilliant Bandit...

The new presets are absolutely awesome, such an experience to just fly by

Thanks a lot for sharing your time and work on this mod.

Edited by Esac_mirmidon
  • Like 3

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

3 hours ago, Esac_mirmidon said:

This is just brilliant Bandit...

The new presets are absolutely awesome, such an experience to just fly by

Thanks a lot for sharing your time and work on this mod.

Thank you! 

18 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

yes it looks great, we have more weather work to come in the future but I will share this thread with the team. 

thanks

Happy to see weather mentioned in the newsletter today. I'm looking forward to seeing the new cloud types and fog improvements later this year.

Don't forget the cirrus layer. That really needs something done.

• Like 3

Can you simulate a Tornado?

Cyclone?

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

14 minutes ago, EA-18G_BlockII said:

question: which preset and setting to have big anvil cloud?

I haven't been able to create a preset for cumulonimbus type thunderstorms yet and it may not be possible with the current cloud rendering. ED says they will add these types of clouds later this year. You still can create some thunderstorms like I show in my screenshots using the "nothing" clouds preset. See steps below. The lightning spawns all over the place not just in clouds. I can't do anything about that.

To create thunderstorms:

1.) Select NOTHING from the Clouds Preset menu
2.) Configure the base altitude as desired
3.) Adjust the thickness to something between 15000-30000ft
4.) You can choose any density setting but I added six new ones. Density 11 - 16 are tweaked for thunderstorms.
5.) Choose Thunderstorm or Rain from the Precptns option
6.) I recommend adding a lot of wind and turbulence as well
7.) Experiment with settings to get the look you want and enjoy!

6 minutes ago, Hawkeye60 said:

Can you simulate a Tornado?

Cyclone?

Nope, not possible with current weather system.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1