Patch Notes discussion December 2023

BIGNEWY

is there any more information or a detailed line by line list of what exactly was changed from the note:

Numerous DCS netcode improvements to functions like TACAN, AI ground unit targeting, radio, datalink, and other improvements to improve server performance

It's a bit opaque for players to decipher what exactly was improved/fixed.

• ED Team
5 minutes ago, VFA41_Lion said:

is there any more information or a detailed line by line list of what exactly was changed from the note:

It's a bit opaque for players to decipher what exactly was improved/fixed.

Hi, we already have a huge log so we can not always add detail, but as mentioned numerous DCS net code improvements to functions like TACAN, AI ground unit targeting, radio, datalink, and other improvements to server performance have been made. 

Please test it out and let us know if you see the improvement we have been seeing internally. 

thank you 

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

From my experience and as I said before about the behavior of the new update, the result is similar. In ST it works like silk and in MT there are freezes and stutters. For the test I have used the same mission and the same graphic configuration for both ST as well as MT. I feel sorry for the ED team who are working hard but this is what it is

• Like 1

Update seems superb, MP a very smooth experience now. Great work all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

AI warbirds that actually act in a way you would expect! This has been a long time coming and a point of extreme frustration for warbird enthusiasts, but finally after our initial testing AI warbirds (Bf-109, Fw-190 A8) don't flip onto their back after absorbing all your ammo, have their engine quit and climb back to Paris. Helicopters to test next (can they still absorb 8 AMRAMMS?) but so far, a great step forward, thank you.

• Like 2

The Flying Kiwis - Since ages ago...

Find us at https://www.simcentral.co.nz

This latest patch is a significant improvement for me in VR. A lot smoother at 45-60 fps and pushing higher fps in less demanding environments (maxing at 90 in some situations). I am not sure what has changed under the hood but it’s making a difference. Cheers. 🍺

• Like 2

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

11 hours ago, Woody01 said:

AI warbirds that actually act in a way you would expect! This has been a long time coming and a point of extreme frustration for warbird enthusiasts, but finally after our initial testing AI warbirds (Bf-109, Fw-190 A8) don't flip onto their back after absorbing all your ammo, have their engine quit and climb back to Paris. 

Very impressed and surprised with AI dogfighting behaviour after the latest patch. Thank you ED.  

• Like 1

Glad to see the AIM-9 functions / avionics received some due attention in the F-16 ; although the Spot / Scan function is still missing.

Good news eitherway.

Edited by Top Jockey
  • Like 1

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Still can't use built in VoIP and I must not be the only one, because every server still seems to use SRS.  Which uses my mic just fine, btw.

Also, 1440p is still a little blurry in the cockpit even with DLSS and lots of sharpening.  Makes me feel like something is wrong with me eyes after a while.  Been playing lots of Cyberpunk 2077 lately and nothing is blurry with full DLAA, windowed full screen mode, etc.  Just like in DCS.  Great framerates.  Unheard of.  My grandparents and great grandparents came to America with a dream of 60FPS and now I'm getting 144 and have to cap it because that's my monitor's refresh rate.  BUT MFD'S AND WARNING LIGHTS ARE BLURRY until I zoom in a little ways.  Then they actually get clearer.  I do not use depth of field or motion blur.  It's lack of a certain kind of AA, I think.

2 hours ago, Top Jockey said:

Glad to see the AIM-9 functions / avionics received some due attention in the F-16 ; although the Spot / Scan function is still missing.

Good news eitherway.

What do you mean by the Spot/Scan function still missing ? Not familiar with that function if it is linked to AIM-9 familly missiles

On 12/19/2023 at 9:52 AM, Recluse said:

Is this going to re-break the code for MOOSE and MIST related scripting (e.g. FOOTHOLD/PRETENSE/*POWER persistent missions that got fixed after the last patch, or will both getCategory() syntaxes work now?

EDIT: Just did a quick test and all seems to be working..  🙂

Well looks like I spoke too soon.  We started getting script  errors today, and it seemed to be in the part of the Foothold zonecommander.lua that got updated after the last patch changed the scripting.

EDIT:  @Dzsekeb has fixed the ZoneCommander.Lua  everything is good (again)  THANKS!!

Edited by Recluse

On 12/19/2023 at 1:20 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, we already have a huge log so we can not always add detail, but as mentioned numerous DCS net code improvements to functions like TACAN, AI ground unit targeting, radio, datalink, and other improvements to server performance have been made. 

Did the AI ground unit targeting affected JTACs as well? I'm finding them unrestricted in distance and LOS, also they can see and market targets at night, something that was notpossible before. 

On 12/18/2023 at 4:48 AM, BIGNEWY said:

DCS F-14 Tomcat by Heatblur Simulations

• NEW: Added TARPS pod for both F-14A and F-14B (visual model only) - gameplay features to follow
  • NEW: Added boarding ladder to static and AI aircraft.
  • Added TARPS loadouts. 
  • Adjusted loadout restrictions for TARPS pod.  
  • Fixed broken normals on both -A and -B

Is there gonna be a hotfix to add the F-14 stuff since none of this is actually in the open beta currently?

• Like 2

Aircraft: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-5E, FC3, AV-8B, Mirage 2000C, L-39, Huey, F-86, P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Mosquito, Supercarrier

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Marianas, Normandy 2, Channel

Upcoming Modules Wishlist: A-7E, A-6E, F-4, F-8J, MiG-17F, A-1H, F-100D, Kola Peninsula

Low resolution and settings got ~7% fps improvement. Maybe more outside cockpit. Would need to downgrade / re-upgrade to make more than an approximation.

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

• ED Team
4 hours ago, Stackup said:

Is there gonna be a hotfix to add the F-14 stuff since none of this is actually in the open beta currently?

We are working on a fix, but it is more then just the F-14 stuff so we will need to be patient. 

thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

14 hours ago, SparxOne said:

What do you mean by the Spot/Scan function still missing ? Not familiar with that function if it is linked to AIM-9 familly missiles

In the F-16C, there are several modes / functions regarding the AIM-9 employment :

Spot - the seekerhead symbol (diamond) stays fixed at the HUD, looking ahead ~ boresight

Scan - the seekerhead symbol does a moving search pattern somewhere along the top portion of the ASE circle (if I recall correctly), basically increasing the target acquisition area

edit

The above are different functions, but also interact with the Cage / Uncage and Bore / Slave ones.

Edited by Top Jockey
  • Thanks 1

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

The cage/uncage button now just expanded radar when aim-9 selected.  They didn't appear to track the target at all.  Cargo plane, so it should have been easy.  No tone.  Cage/uncage should still work, especially if I'm trying to get whatever is in front of me to lock without radar.  Not much different than how well they tracked before the update, but still, come on.  Gimme tone!

On 12/24/2023 at 3:15 PM, SickSidewinder9 said:

The cage/uncage button now just expanded radar when aim-9 selected.  They didn't appear to track the target at all.  Cargo plane, so it should have been easy.  No tone.  Cage/uncage should still work, especially if I'm trying to get whatever is in front of me to lock without radar.  Not much different than how well they tracked before the update, but still, come on.  Gimme tone!

Nope, that was a controls assignment bug on my part.  Connecting my replacement throttle did all kinds of weirdness because of the different device ID.  And I didn't even assign that button to the throttle.

Edited by SickSidewinder9

• ED Team

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/changelog/openbeta/2.9.2.49940/

DCS World

• AI aircraft. Fire and smoke adjustments for AI planes: F-5E, F-86F, L-39, MiG-15bis, A-10A, Su-27, Su-33, F-15C, MiG-29A/S, MiG-31, Su-24M/MR, Tu-22M3, Yak-40, KC-135
  • Weapons. Ka-50. When launched without a locked target, Igla turned with maximum g-load and locked its own aircraft. Now the missile will fly straight in uncontrolled flight.
  • ME. TF-51D had no RADIO tab in properties - Added the radio panel
  • FLIR. IR Moon representation in daytime light conditions corrected
  • TV / CCD sensor issue at night with ZOOM fixed and improved lightmap performance for narrow FOV
  • Flat Shadows Blur option creates shadows going towards the Sun - fixed

DCS: AH-64D by Eagle Dynamics

• Fixed: FCR TGT Report is not sent when SEND button pressed

DCS: F/A-18C by Eagle Dynamics

• Fixed crash on AGM-88 launch in PB mode in some conditions
  • Fixed:  Cannot designate with the A/G radar
  • Updated RU Hornet manual - 2023 edition, expanded and revised (it was added earlier, but not mentioned):
    • entirely new radar section
    • added ATFLIR, Litening II
    • added JHMCS section
    • added SLAM and SLAM-ER weapon sections
    • added ASPJ section
    • expanded NAV section

DCS: F-16C Viper by Eagle Dynamics

• Fixed: CBU-103/105 is unlabelled in SMS

DCS: Mi-24P Hind by Eagle Dynamics

• Fixed: Pilot-operator cannot launch ATGM in multicrew

DCS: F-14 Tomcat by Heatblur Simulations

• NEW: Added TARPS pod for both F-14A and F-14B (visual model only) - gameplay features to follow
  • NEW: Added boarding ladder to static and AI aircraft.
  • Added TARPS loadouts.
  • Adjusted loadout restrictions for TARPS pod.
  • Fixed broken normals on both -A and -B

DCS: AJS-37 Viggen by Heatblur Simulations

• Fixed inconsistencies in AI collision model

DCS: Black Shark 3 by Eagle Dynamics

• MP. Synced gear animation between clients

DCS: UH-1H Huey by Eagle Dynamics

• Huey VOIP bindings fix (it was added earlier, but not mentioned)

DCS: JF-17 by Deka Ironwork Simulations

• Fixed: LS-6 and GB-6

Campaigns

DCS: P-51D Debden Eagles Campaign by Reflected Simulations

• Added special liveries for P-47, Spitfire and Yak-52.
  • Corrected position of every P-51
  • Like 9