How real life pilots deal with the Sun?

Pavlin_33

U fly mostly Soviet/Russian jets and they have a HUD dimmer that blocks out the Sun, but a JF-17 for example doesn't so facing the Sun the HUD is useless. I was wondering, how to RL pilots deal with this? Or is it like in DCS where the Sun is the ultimate obstacle?

Screen_240201_215543.jpg

i5-4690K CPU 3.50Ghz @ 4.10GHz; 32GB DDR3 1600MHz; GeForce GTX 1660 Super; LG IPS225@1920x1080; Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB; Windows 10 Pro

Ray Bans?

sorry, only kidding

• Like 2

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

2 hours ago, Pavlin_33 said:

U fly mostly Soviet/Russian jets and they have a HUD dimmer that blocks out the Sun, but a JF-17 for example doesn't so facing the Sun the HUD is useless. I was wondering, how to RL pilots deal with this? Or is it like in DCS where the Sun is the ultimate obstacle?

Screen_240201_215543.jpg

Standby instruments probably

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Bimbac:

The pilots wear dark helmet visors, which are not implemented in DCS now.

They are. Just not in all modules. 

F-15E has a functioning Visor. Im missing that dearly in every other module I fly. 

• Like 5

On 2/12/2024 at 2:12 PM, Gunfreak said:

Hold up your hand

I really have been hoping something like that as sometimes (virtual) sun light on some cockpit lights, displays or even knobs is so strong that it's hard so see their status.

In real life you would just shade them by hand but that's currently not possible in dcs.

Something like inverse flashlight would do the job.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 11:20 AM, Bimbac said:

The pilots wear dark helmet visors, which are not implemented in DCS now. If the HUD becomes unreadable, the HUD Repeater function on the MFDs is for that.

They are implemented on some DCS aircraft like the MiG-21 where you can lower a darker tinted visor from the helmet.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

They get their canopy tinted by the local garage.  As long as the State Troopers don't catch you, you can tint the windows quite dark.  Makes it a pain for the other drivers to see your head position, but screw them, I just hit them with Chaff if they beep at me in traffic.

Mike

• Like 3

They get their canopy tinted by the local garage.  As long as the State Troopers don't catch you, you can tint the windows quite dark.  Makes it a pain for the other drivers to see your head position, but screw them, I just hit them with Chaff if they beep at me in traffic.

Mike

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk