Anyone still flying the DCS Thunderbolt in 2024?

Lurker

Hi everyone. Are you still flying your 'Bolts? If so, how are you employing them and are you enjoying your experience with them in DCS World? 

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

• Lurker changed the title to Anyone still flying the DCS Thunderbolt in 2024?

My all time fav in DCS WW2.  Alternating between OL and Wolfpack servers. Super fun. Since doing that, have had a really hard time returning to Il2Box... just wish we had P-38, or P-51B..... 

TM Warthog MFG TIR5 GT Omega Pro/ButKickerx1/WheelStandPro Playseat/ButKickerx2

I flew it last night a few times.

Haven’t for a while, I get more time in the other props and didn’t I know it. Attacking AA without carrying enough speed was pretty hairy. I couldn’t bomb accurately (no better or worse than any other prop) so tried rockets. I was missing with those too as I’m more used to firing rockets from the Mossie or the Mustang. I’ll have to brush up a bit.

Like the rest of them, great to fly.

Yup, love the p-47. I’m not very good with it, but it’s still my favorite.

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

I think it’s great to fly.  Very characterful because of how many controls it has.  It’s more like an old steam locomotive with the number of knobs and dials

• Like 4

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I love flying the P-47. It's probably the best warbird with great cockpit detail. I like all the levers and cockpit interaction. However, I am not very good at flying it yet. I must spend more time with it. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

5 minutes ago, Slippa said:

Only it takes longer to warm up? 😁

Good though innit.

oh yes!!!

• Like 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

My main US aircraft, i mostly fly Spitfire and P47, P51 is ok, but i just prefer the 47. Whish we had 109Gs and pre 1944 190s too.

We are basically fighting with one hand behind our backs. Since we are not only fighting 1945 109s but we don't have 150 fuel. Also wish we had racor back 47s.

• Like 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

Absolutely love the P-47 in DCS. Almost always ground pounding when I go on the servers, but I definitely need to be cautious in dogfight zones. It will hold its own in a low dogfight but not for long. I've improved in desperate dogfights when low by using flaps and forced overshoots, but if I'm going to be in a fight I definitely prefer being much higher

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

i mostly fly Spitfire and P47

The cockpits for these are definitely the best (alongside the mosquito). 

4 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

Whish we had 109Gs

Me too. I really like flying the 109. I find it more intuitive than other planes but I hate the 30 mm cannon. I would prefer a 20 mm and the option of 20 mm wing pods. 

5 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

Also wish we had racor back 47s.

Yes. I like the razorback too. I wonder if this would be an easy add-on for this module!? 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

The Jug?  Heck yes!  great war bird.   Warm her up proper, and she's good to go.  She'll bring you home safely.

• Like 3

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I've bought this recently and so far I love this module. It also has a great tutorial - although some details are disputable, it is great it is so detailed. So far no obvious bugs in controls (which is very rare for DCS module)... it shows that it is not an old module. I like this release, I believe this is how a good module should be released. I'll see later, but my hopes are high.

Also the whole plane, the management, bazillion of levers in the throttle quadrant... it's fun!

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube

no words....

image.png

Edited by plott1964
  • Like 2

PC specs:

Intel Core i7-13700K [Raptor Lake 3.4GHz Sixteen-Core LGA 1700] (stock clock)/64.0 GB RAM/RTX 3080 GPU (stock clock)/Windows 10 Home/SSD Drives/T.Flight HOTAS X/HP Reverb G2

Screen_230902_225916x.png

Edited by plott1964
  • Like 2

PC specs:

Intel Core i7-13700K [Raptor Lake 3.4GHz Sixteen-Core LGA 1700] (stock clock)/64.0 GB RAM/RTX 3080 GPU (stock clock)/Windows 10 Home/SSD Drives/T.Flight HOTAS X/HP Reverb G2

Its  the only allied aircraft I fly.

• Like 1

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

• 2 weeks later...

I had flown the Spitfire and P51 for a few years now and recently gave the P47 a shot with the trial and it is growing on me, once you get used to the controls it has nice smooth handling and turns nicely at around 200-250 mph

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Aernov said:

The more pressing question is: does anyone still develops

Of course, if any DCS aircraft is not maintained it quickly would not be able to work, as DCS is being changed almost monthly ... like it happened with the Hawk, which had to be withdrawn soon after its developer quit. 

47 minutes ago, Aernov said:

and improves it?

The P-47 is not on early access, it is a finished Module ... what improvement you think it needs?

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Working oil dilution. Fixed hole in the model behind the cockpit. Landing gear issues. Pilot seat headrest. Hydraulic system modelling. All the other stuff in "Bugs and Problems" section that is marked as Reported, Investigating, WiP. Maybe even something out of Wish list section, like wheel chocks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3