Latest Oculus v63 PTC build crashing DCS when used on Oculus Link

SrSosio

Why dont you try my suggested shortcut and settings in oculus? 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

I just got it working through steamVR. setting that to default openXR runtime and creating a steam shortcut to standalone DCS.

Adding  --affinity=F to the MT shortcut did not work for me. with meta/oculus set to default openXR runtime

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

The affinity F addition is nothing to do with getting this to work with oculus, sorry, its just to do with utilising my AMD CPU to its best performance. Sorry for the confusion, but the point remains that is perfectly possible to run oculus latest version in open XR and have no issues....unless I am missing something .....? 

Edited by markturner1960

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

I recently got a Quest 3. I started up DCS, went to settings so I could enable VR. After I applied the settings, it booted me out of DCS. I am trying to get my Quest 3 to work by having it plugged into the USB C port. (I previously had OpenXR set up for my former G2 Headset, but with a recent Windows update, I dont see any microsoft mixed reality settings, fyi).

I try to open DCS, I put my password in, I see a loading screen, the DCS "15 years" etc. screen, and then DCS closes itself. I try starting up DCS without the headset on, same thing happens.

So now I cannot open DCS. DCS is up to date. Not sure what to do now.

Hi, I'm also affected by the problem with a Quest 3. I don't know about you but I don't have an option to prevent oculus link from updating.
While waiting for the patch I work around with Steam VR, it works.

Edited by psycho

userbar_dcs.gif

userbar_51th.png

i5 7600k@4.6Ghz / Asus Z270G / GTX 1080 Strix / 16Go DDR4 Gskill / SSD samsung 850PRO 1To / Asus 27' / HOTAS TM Warthog / Track-Ir 4 / Oculus Cv1

36 minutes ago, hockey3761 said:

Quest 3

unfortunately the quest is messed up with DCS using the latest v63 version. v62 works if you can get it from what i hear. i do not use VR. there are a bunch of other posts about it.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

@markturner1960

Because what you are describing should actually not work. That is the whole reason behind this thread. Except that also the suggested workaround, which is the „force_oculus_VR“ extension doesn‘t seem to work.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb markturner1960:

Why dont you try my suggested shortcut and settings in oculus

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png

11 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

I have version 63 of the oculus desktop software installed. I am using a Quest pro with a link cable through Quest link. Meta Quest link is set as the active OpenXR runtime according to my settings page. I start DCS using the following shortcut: 

"C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin-mt\DCS.exe" --affinity=F

DCS and quad views both run fine...........Is this to be expected? 

I just tried tried running DCS using   "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin-mt\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR --force_oculus_VR

And it runs, but quad views is not running. 

So maybe this helps? 

Also, as I seem to have an open XR runtime being used according to my oculus software, why would I need to add the shortcut above? What does it add that my first shortcut that includes affibity F and allows me to use quad views, does not? 

Tried right now, and many other times, and it´s not working. Something is off here. Can you post a screenshot of your PC APP version? maybe it differs from the one I get with the PTC channel. V63 Oculus PC app and DCS are not compatible, I have tested it too many times. V62 works. 

Workaround update:

If you uninstall Oculus, then delete all Oculus files from appdata, and use a v62 installer (https://www.mediafire.com/file/rn5uurwqvv9qp8q/OculusSetup.exe/file), then you will have a v62 version installed and DCS will work by Oculus Link. 

The problem is that after logging in you are immediately notified that a new version is available and you either install it now or install it in 4 hours. 

Once someone comes up with a way to completely block the update, then it will be a good temporary solution until ED fixes it on their part. 

• Like 2

Those who use the block trick ( https://forum.dcs.world/topic/343717-latest-oculus-v63-ptc-build-crashing-dcs-when-used-on-oculus-link/?do=findComment&comment=5390021 ) may see their taskbar blink (shift if centered) briefly every few minutes. This is NOT a Windows problem but Oculus service checking for an update even if Oculus main software isn't running.

@yoadknux: see link in here for blocking + your trick works as long as they don't update the installer to version v63.

Edited by Lange_666
  • Like 2

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

55 minutes ago, Lange_666 said:

Those who use the block trick ( https://forum.dcs.world/topic/343717-latest-oculus-v63-ptc-build-crashing-dcs-when-used-on-oculus-link/?do=findComment&comment=5390021 ) may see their taskbar blink (shift if centered) briefly every few minutes. This is NOT a Windows problem but Oculus service checking for an update even if Oculus main software isn't running.

@yoadknux: see link in here for blocking + your trick works as long as they don't update the installer to version v63.

I think this blocking method works if you pre-applied it. But If you install fresh v62, the moment you finish setting up it will say "core download started", and a few seconds later the snooze or update pop-up. The Staging and tmp folders don't exist before you finish logging into the Oculus app. I am trying to figure out if anything can be done during the "Snooze" period. 

The force_oculus_VR trick does not work for me either (Quest 3). I can run DCS using SteamVR as OpenXR runtime and start it manually from Steam as non-Steam game. Since the OXR toolkit does not work now, I had to change the resolution in the headset settings (changing the PD in game or resolution in SteamVR settings does not work). No turbo mode, but it looks it does not need one (runs smoothly). Probably Turbo fixes some OpenXR deficiency. 

When first computers appeared, it seemed to me a magic I never could understand. And so here we are 🙂 

Edited by jurinko

Well, I know it is not supposed to work.....but it does!!! this is why I asked in my original post if it was expected? Here is my meta settings and my shortcut. Tou can see its all as it should be. Quad views is 100% definitely working with this as is XR necksafer.

maybe one of you can figure out why , but I posted as I hoped it would help some of you who are having this issue. 

2024-03-11 10_41_01-Meta Quest Link.png

2024-03-11 10_42_11-Utilities.png

As posted before - I have both my Quest 3 and the Oculus Link app updated to V63 and has no problems running DCS in OpenXR mode. 

Oculus Link app is set to use Oculus as OpenXR runtime. OpenXR Toolkit works with no issues.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

I only update to a new version if i read that there are no problems (because it ain't the first time they FU some stuff).
The next thing i do after an update is blocking it again for the next one to come.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

6 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

thank you I hadn't seen the original message. I will download v62 with yoadknux's link and apply this method.

6 hours ago, yoadknux said:

Workaround update:

If you uninstall Oculus, then delete all Oculus files from appdata, and use a v62 installer (https://www.mediafire.com/file/rn5uurwqvv9qp8q/OculusSetup.exe/file), then you will have a v62 version installed and DCS will work by Oculus Link. 

The problem is that after logging in you are immediately notified that a new version is available and you either install it now or install it in 4 hours. 

Once someone comes up with a way to completely block the update, then it will be a good temporary solution until ED fixes it on their part. 

userbar_dcs.gif

userbar_51th.png

i5 7600k@4.6Ghz / Asus Z270G / GTX 1080 Strix / 16Go DDR4 Gskill / SSD samsung 850PRO 1To / Asus 27' / HOTAS TM Warthog / Track-Ir 4 / Oculus Cv1

В 29.02.2024 в 17:10, Qcumber сказал:

I had a rollercoaster yesterday of various issues which resulted in reinstallation of oculus and a headset factory reset. After a lot of setting up I can now get oculus-link to work with DCS MT open xr with V63 headset, v62 PC app, but I think others have already reported this. I have no plans to update the PC app to v62. 

Any chance I can roll back my PC app to ver 62 manually?

• Like 1
Спойлер

i7 13700KF @ 5,4 GHz; DDR5 64GB RAM; Palit RTX 4090; AOC AG352UCG 35" 3440x1440; Win11.
Oculus Quest Pro.
"Marksman-L" rudder by MyCyJIbMaHuH ; VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base; VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip; VPC MongoosT-50CM Throttle.

My settings for VR

@markturner1960

Well that‘s interesting. I mean not only that the workaround works for you, you are not even affected by the original problem in the first place.
Maybe it‘s only a certain hardware combination that has the problem?!

I stopped the Oculus Link PC app from updating since I heard about the problem, so I am still on v62 and can not tell for my system.

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png

What I hate the most is when I put Q3 off head for some reason the game crash. I mean it freeze in VR. Have never that issue before.😞

Edited by Mausar

Mines been doing that for some time now......at least a couple of months I would say, its not a new thing for me......But it does not do it all the time....its random....

Edited by markturner1960

For now, I was able to survive the dreaded 4 hour snooze.

Here are the steps I took.

1) Uninstall Oculus with the regular Windows uninstaller.

2) Go to C:\Users\(your username)\AppData and remove all Oculus folders inside Local, LocalLow, Roaming

3) Install Oculus from the following link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/rn5uurwqvv9qp8q/OculusSetup.exe/file - This will install v62 (at least at the moment this post was written).

4) Turn off Automatic updates on the Oculus app settings. You will still get notified that there is an update ready to install. Snooze it.

5) Go to Oculus folder, delete all the contents of Staging and tmp. Make a copy of the entire Oculus folder, name it Oculusv62. 

6) 4 hours after the snooze, the app will update to v63. Once it's updated, go into safe mode, and replace the contents of the Oculus folder with the contents of Oculusv62. You can do this by deleting the Oculus folder and renaming Oculusv62 into Oculus (I recommend keeping a copy of Oculusv62 regardless)

Optional: Also make a copy of the Oculus folders inside Local, LocalLow, Roaming (from step 2).

7) Exit safe mode. Run OculusSetup, and use it to repair. 

The outcome is that you will have a "fresh" v62 with empty Staging & tmp folders, with auto-updates disabled at the oculus settings. 

I'm still not 100% sure it works long term - it only worked for a few hours for me. It may still update to v63 somehow. However, if it updates, I think restoring the Oculusv62 + AppData folders should send it back to v62 for another few hours. Good luck guys. And I hope ED fixes this issue as soon as possible. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guys, wait a littel, fix incoming. ✌️

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro