What are your thoughts on Sinai map?

Hey guys what are your thoughts on Sinai map? I'm desperately need high quality airbase that would be a perfect fit for the Phantom and also its natural habitat. Thank you in advance!

3 hours ago, EvMstein said:

Hey guys what are your thoughts on Sinai map?

It has promise but hasn't been updated since release, only recommended if planning to make immediate use of it i.e. for a particular F-4E mission or if you have friends to fly with.

Otherwise I'd stick with Syria. 

I've already uninstalled Sinai to make room for ED's up coming Afghanistan map.

• Like 3

i9 9900K @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

It's a beautiful map. I use Sinai and Kola 95% of the time. 
But if you want MP, they are useless.

• Like 1

7700X/7900XT/1440p

'We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like"(с)

Don't buy it before we see the first update for the map after EA-Release [EA-Release was June, 9 2023].

Aside from the update problem, it is a beautiful map.

• Like 3

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815

vor 38 Minuten schrieb mwd2:

Don't buy it before we see the first update for the map after EA-Release [EA-Release was June, 9 2023].

Aside from the update problem, it is a beautiful map.

The map has in some days birthday. 😀 but it's really sad without an first update. But maybe today?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EvMstein said:

Hey guys what are your thoughts on Sinai map? I'm desperately need high quality airbase that would be a perfect fit for the Phantom and also its natural habitat. Thank you in advance!

I'm convinced that this map will be brilliant, in the future. Right now, without a single update since initial release, I would not recommend to get it yet. But once updates finally arrive, there's no stopping... clearly the developers are talented and determined. It's just that they seem to have a less than ideal understanding of what Early Access actually means. 

As has been said above, wait for the update. 

• Like 4

It has potential but it's almost abandonware at this point. We're approaching a year since it was launched, and it has received the amazing amount of zero updates.

It lacks basic stuff like correct frequencies and bridges.

Avoid for now.

• Like 3

Good but not great. Cairo is fun because it's freaking huge, but the map leaves me a bit cold. Again, a good map, but not a great map.

The Syria map remains the gold standard. And you can get it on sale.

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Recently got this and I like it enormously; it’s got a lot of beauty.

It’s certainly not finished, but if the impending update adds important airfields and sorts out the unfinished/low resolution areas, then it will be one of the best terrains out there.

Already it has huge scope for 1967 and 1973 conflicts and I don’t find the modern aspects (vehicles, much larger cities etc) detract too much from that.

Hopefully it will not be too much work to produce a ‘60’s - ‘70’s version - presumably just reducing the size of some cities, and removing the modern vehicles, will help a great deal without taking too much work to do.

• Like 2

I like it a lot.  It’s not massive, but has a lot of variance of what is there and supports some key conflicts very nicely.

• Like 2

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

On 6/5/2024 at 12:08 AM, EvMstein said:

It needs a LOT. Read as: Airfields, southern Sinai mountain textures,  ground/terrain object collisions, Upgrade urban areas - Jerusalem is little more than a farm community, Temple mount is a warehouse.  The Sinai is FULL of revetments, berms, military bases all of which could be used as targets in scenarios.  Egypt is pretty well done, near as I can tell but the Sinai desert is lacking

• Like 2

On 6/5/2024 at 7:08 AM, EvMstein said:

what are your thoughts on Sinai map?

It's a phenomenal first attempt from a hitherto unknown developer: fantastic scenery, rivaling many aspects of the current king of the hill: Syria.

Unfortunately, IMHO the developer of the map, @OnReTech has fumbled the ball excessively and disappointed many of their customers with too little, too late communications, and going far, far too long without any tangible update. In less than three days, we mark a full year without any updates, and no matter what other people may think, personally that's stretching it too far: formerly ecstatic and happy customers who cheered now look frustrated. Mission creators happily designed maps in anticipation of updates that never came - and shelved their projects, bringing their adventures to other maps instead. 

So, is Sinai a good map? A qualified yes. The map itself currently is no longer the problem. It's mostly serviceable in its current form, glaring bugs notwithstanding. The issue is with the developer, ORT, who IMHO needlessly squandered initial trust in them, and excitement over the map. They leave many of us with a big question mark - hanging not over "Sinai" but ORT themselves: what is going to become of the map and developer? Even if there is an update coming soon - will they change for the better, did they understand what went wrong, and are they willing to change? Only time will tell, and since it takes roughly 3 to 5 times as much time to regain trust as it took to squander it, the next three years can help us determine the mettle of ORT's erstwhile great reputation. I'm still hoping ORT are worth it. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I saw recently that the devs said they didn't want to spend time packaging updates...that's a red flag. Not updating in a year, being behind schedule, and not wanting to take the time to package updates says to me they want to limit dev time on the project. That suggests that the map isn't generating the revenue they wanted/needed, and they cut the number of people working on the project. This is speculation, but what else can we do but speculate, because there hasn't been an update in nearly a year, and there hasn't been much communication. 

I'm not criticizing the devs, heck, I don't own the map, but as someone that is considering buying the map, this is concerning, and makes me think I should just get the Syria map, and not take the risk with this one.   

• Like 3

On 6/5/2024 at 7:36 PM, Duck21 said:

I'm convinced that this map will be brilliant, in the future. Right now, without a single update since initial release, I would not recommend to get it yet. But once updates finally arrive, there's no stopping... clearly the developers are talented and determined. It's just that they seem to have a less than ideal understanding of what Early Access actually means. 

As has been said above, wait for the update. 

They have to hurry up, Afganistan is coming.

• Like 2

On 6/6/2024 at 3:54 PM, Beirut said:

Good but not great. Cairo is fun because it's freaking huge, but the map leaves me a bit cold. Again, a good map, but not a great map.

The Syria map remains the gold standard. And you can get it on sale.

Whats the advantage of having that huge city? I don't see any (yet). It only kills fps. I miss more diverse terrain, we have here 90% all flat.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, skywalker22 said:

Whats the advantage of having that huge city?

The advantage exists only if you think having a huge city constitutes an advantage. I do, I think it's cool.

Opinions will vary, of course.

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

On 6/11/2024 at 3:22 PM, skywalker22 said:

Whats the advantage of having that huge city? I don't see any (yet).

Alas, you may not (yet) fly helicopters. If you do, cities turn into massive challenges: hunt insurgents, insert troops, fly SAR, transport items from one roof to another. Glorious. 🙂 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cfrag said:

Alas, you may not (yet) fly helicopters. If you do, cities turn into massive challenges: hunt insurgents, insert troops, fly SAR, transport items from one roof to another. Glorious. 🙂 

BadGuys(tm) in cities are what cluster bombs are for.

I used Sinai almost exclusively for...since it was released until a couple months ago, then I went back to Syria.  As others have said there is a ton of potential, but then Syria got an update and I couldn't resist the urge.  When, and if, Sinai gets updated I might make the switch back.

There is no perfect map, and all of them work.  It's getting to the point where I'm map-saturated, and after the Stan I'm really only looking for one.

• Like 1

It's too modern and should reflect the period when most of the conflicts took place, the late 50s to late 70s. Cities and airfields are too modern for that period.

And that's just my two cents worth.

:drinks_cheers:

• Like 3

Sempre Fortis

• 3 weeks later...

The map's natural terrain is fantastic, and I love the intricate scenery the map provides. You can see the how sand moves over the desert, and there are plenty of different kinds of desert terrain. Sand dunes are quite different from rocky mountainous regions, and you can really imagine how tough it would be to traverse it all on foot. The greenness of the Nile Delta is quite the shock when flying in from out of the region!

The airbases are excellent, and a high point of the map. It's really cool seeing how different the airbases feel between Egypt and Israel, and how intricate their layouts have become to avoid another Operation Focus like back in '67.

I've admittedly always been put off by how the cities, towns, terrain types and roads are laid out. They feel very artificial to me, and are a prominent negative point of the map. Incredibly dense suburbs with no roads leading out of them surrounded by green fields. An entire massive, bustling factory complex can sit in the middle of yet another empty field with no roads going in or out, and luxury condos can exist in perfect geometric shapes whose residential streets starkly end right at the desert.

The map isn't bad, but it isn't a stand-out either, and I hope that this coming update announced by the devs will breathe new life into it.

image.jpeg

Screen_240519_223810.jpg

Screen_240519_224307.jpg

Screen_231107_014402.jpg

Screen_231107_014412.jpg

Edited by SabreDancer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1