Project 10 - DCS: A-10C Warthog Promo!

Glowing_Amraam

As long as GA's vid is longer than end titles I will praise all of his artistic likings and techniques ;)

Also I would like to thank GA for quickly providing details on what effects were added and what was original footage with color correction only :thumbup:

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GA reviews other videos. why cant someone review his. not like he's being a troll, its good info to have. GA can use it however, to more hone his skill..... or ignore it :P

He's free to review it of course, all I'm saying is I think it's a little excessive for what it is. He knows what he likes and how he feels can make it better and that's great. It boils down to style preferences, some like it hot, others like it cold.

• ED Team
^^ he's not going to win an Oscar here, this type of critique is better left for imdb movie reviews, seems a little out of place in this context.

Besides film and editing styles vary greatly, not everyone is going to like the same things. Client is happy and the masses seemed to have received it well. Video success.

There's no "Oscar" for movie trailers either, and this is where my promo fits in anyway. ;)

But anyway, i make my scenes based on how the music goes, and the music sorta drives what scene i will make.

If you have some static shot, with some action, during some real hectic music, the scene will look dull, and out of place.

Not everyone will like what you do, but when 98% of the people out there do, im going with the crowd, and what actually *works* for these kind of flicks. :)

Making a good trailer is an artform and you have been doing it for a long time, you definitely know what works man!

p.s. can you edit my animation reel for me?! LOL jk;)

There's no "Oscar" for movie trailers either, and this is where my promo fits in anyway. ;)

But anyway, i make my scenes based on how the music goes, and the music sorta drives what scene i will make.

If you have some static shot, with some action, during some real hectic music, the scene will look dull, and out of place.

Not everyone will like what you do, but when 98% of the people out there do, im going with the crowd, and what actually *works* for these kind of flicks. :)

Either you keep missing my point or I keep missing to making one :(

I do not want a boring trailer - who would?

I want a trailer that shows off key features of the game, what could be more promoting than that?

It could be something like this:

We would follow an A-10C (obviously) on it's mission to destroy an installation or convoy or such.

Through it all there should be some radio traffic to build up the tension.

1) There would be some kind of graphic to explain what the mission is without any text, perhaps some map image or photo of the target and such (showing off game map/area)

This would take maybe 5-6 seconds.

2) Next we're in the cockpit, pilot is looking around (showing off 6DOF)

and clicking a few switches (showing off clickable buttons)

This would take 5-6 seconds.

3) Outside the AC as it starts to move on a busy airfield (showing off a few 3D models including the A-10C from the outside)

5-6 seconds

4) AC ready on the runway, starts moving, fast forward, liftoff, inside cockpit, raise gear. (more clickable buttons)

Around 10 seconds

5) A few kilometers from the base, inside cockpit, going through the clouds, outside, zoomed out for scale (showing off atmospheric effects, perhaps some turbulence)

7-9 seconds

6) Transition phase where we see the map showing the aircraft fast forwarding towards the target.

3-4 seconds

7) Getting close to target, looking through seeker for AGM-65 searching for target. Outside enemy target vehicle/defence vehicle aiming up and firing at A-10C (showing off weapons handling, ground vehicle 3D model and weapons fire)

Around 10 seconds

8 ) Inside cockpit, lights and sound go crazy, incoming missile! View from missile homing in. View from outside A-10C, evasion! missile flies by whooosh! (shows off warning systems, missile behaviour, evasive technique, flight model)

Around 12 seconds

And so on....

I know I'd make a lousy director, but maybe now you understand what I've been trying to say?

Showing off key features while getting a feel for how it is to play the game while following a mission from start to finish. Could probably be compressed to 3 minutes or less.

Right on, my thinking goes along those lines.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

Can you post a link to a TRAILER that shows how the game is played?

He has mentioned that follow up movies will detail how the game works.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aaron

i7 2600k@4.4ghz, GTX1060-6gb, 16gb DDR3, T16000m, Track IR5

BS2-A10C-UH1-FC3-M2000-F18C-A4E-F14B-BF109

• ED Team
Video was made with Dx9 game footage I believe.

Not sure if XP supports DX11 but I have been off of XP since vista launched.

What is taking my damn download so long?

Although the team has been working hard on DX11 support, there is still a long way to go and it will not be ready in time for A-10C unfortunately. Work continues though and we hope to have it in the next DCS aircraft.

As can be seen though, even DX9c looks pretty darn good.

This has always been up in the air, and not listed on the A-10C web page for this reason.

Edited by Wags

Rather unfortunate, but thanks for the heads up Matt.

I'd like to ask if that's all you can/will say on the matter, or would you be willing to say if it is something that will be continued to be worked on post-release for inclusion as a patch on the game N months after release (for example)?

Just wondering if it's shelved for the next DCS module or still planned for the A10 post-release.

Thanks.

Edit: I see it got answered, thanks again :)

Edited by topdog
  • Like 1

[ i7 2600k 4.6GHz :: 16GB Mushkin Blackline LV :: EVGA GTX 1080ti 11GB ]

[ TM Warthog / Saitek Rudder :: Oculus Rift :: Obutto cockpit :: Acer HN274H 27" 120Hz :: 3D Vision Ready ]

Although the team has been working hard on DX11 support, there is still a long way to go and it will not be ready in time for A-10C unfortunately.

This has always been up in the air, and not listed on the A-10C web page for this reason.

Thanks for the heads-up Wags. :)

• Like 1

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Although the team has been working hard on DX11 support, there is still a long way to go and it will not be ready in time for A-10C unfortunately.

This is better, I prefer a stable dx9 release over a last minute rushed unstable dx11 port. And since you started working on dx11 its good news for the next dcs module, or perhaps a patch for A10C with higher probability for a stable dx11 version. Thanks for keeping us updated Matt!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Sim/Game CV: Falcon 1,3,4. Gunship. A10 TankKiller. Fighter Bomber. Strike eagle 2&3. F19 Stealth Fighter. F117. Wings. F29 Retaliator. Jetfighter II. F16 Fighting Falcon. Strike Commander. F22 Raptor. F16MRF. ATF. EF2000. Longbow 1&2. TankKiller2 Silent Thunder. Hind. Apache Havoc. EECH. EAW. F22 ADF. TAW. Janes WW2,USAF,IAF,F15,F18. F18 Korea. F18 Super Hornet. B17 II. CFS 2. Flanker 2&2.5. BOB. Mig Alley. IL2. LOMAC. IL2FB. FC2. DCS:BS. DCS:A10C.

This is better, I prefer a stable dx9 release over a last minute rushed unstable dx11 port. And since you started working on dx11 its good news for the next dcs module, or perhaps a patch for A10C with higher probability for a stable dx11 version. Thanks for keeping us updated Matt!

What he said x 2.

No problem!

• Like 1

Although the team has been working hard on DX11 support, there is still a long way to go and it will not be ready in time for A-10C unfortunately. Work continues though and we hope to have it in the next DCS aircraft.

appreciate the clarification, no worries and no hurries ;)

Awesome-I was actually going to suggest that efforts be concentrated on getting a dx9 product out sooner, with a dx11 patch later ala FSX, but I figured no one would give me the time-o-day. Selfish, as I don't have a DX11 card, but at least this way we stand a chance of getting A10 in our hands earlier.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wags

This has always been up in the air, and not listed on the A-10C web page for this

Ditto ;). Too be honest Matt, many other companies would try and shoehorn this in, even if it dosnt work right, resulting in buggy simming all round, just so they can say they have the latest tech in the program. It just shows how much you guys, respect and want to please the community, by having the balls to drop it for now and to concentrate on providing the best experience we can have with our clothes on. I respected you guys before, but by making this decision, my respect has gone through the roof. Well done.

Edited by Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Dude the A10 looks F'ing amazing as it is right now. Good move to wait and use dx9 IMHO rather than release rushed.

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

Just curious, but does anyone know what the actual visual differences between the dx9 and the dx11 version would be?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directx#DirectX_11

The difference between DX 9, 10 and 11 may not be automatically a visual improvement. DX is an interface and as such it makes things easier to implement better graphics.

The best thing about DX10 and 11 is the multicore- and other modern hardware-support.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD