DCS World 2.0 and New Maps Discussion Thread

Wags

Yes, that's how I feel anything is better then nothing. The other thing is I think some people do have the old map while others don't.

If you still have beta 1 or 2 install files for the A-10C, you can grab the terrain from there and it still works on the latest version of DCS. It may not be finished or even polished, but it helps to add some variety when you get bored of the default map.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that Cry-engine 3 is a open SDK download and the Crytec devs even helped out another game game to make it suitable for large space environments with great effect tools and everything. It might even be free too. It also supports everything that ED is looking for.

The current playground of that modified version might even be bigger than the current Caucasus map, it's worth looking into. It will save alot of time, effort and money building something from scratch when it works for DCS too.

Edited by BRooDJeRo

I heard that cry-engine 3 is a open SDK download and the Crytec devs even helped out another game game to make it suitable for large space environments with great effect tools and everything. It might even be free too.

The current playground of that modified version might even be bigger than the current Caucasus map, it's worth looking into. It will save alot of time, effort and money building something from scratch when it works for DCS too.

Will it?

There's a ton of work already gone into EDGE and a map for this engine, too. What sense would it make to buy an engine and then redo the map all over again?

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

To be honest, i have no idea how far the ED team is on EDGE, but what i do know is that building a complete engine with tools from scratch takes a bunch of very good programmers working for years on it with high cost involved while something usefull might already be around and up for grabs. This other developer is only busy with content for the engine, which ED already has, unless ED has plans for outsourcing this EDGE engine to other developers and god knows what. I'm sure that only the current DCS packs won't cover the full cost and profit for EDGE development and having an SDK available for 3rd party developers for free.

It's quite possible that a full blown EDGE might take more than 1,5-2 years of development and to be very honest, i'm not so sure if allot of DCS customers still want to fly that long in the pyramid skies of out beloved Caucasus. At this very moment things are changing rapidly in the gaming industry with new high definition and performance hardware that can support way more than what eventually will come out of EDGE. The polygons are already being thrown around and things are about to kick off bigtime. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Edited by BRooDJeRo

Why is this thread not in Chit Chat by now?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

To be honest, i have no idea how far the ED team is on EDGE, but what i do know is that building a complete engine with tools from scratch takes a bunch of very good programmers working for years on it with high cost involved while something usefull might already be around and up for grabs. This other developer is only busy with content for the engine, which ED already has, unless ED has plans for outsourcing this EDGE engine to other developers and god knows what.

It seems to be a key element of EDGE to release the map-making-tools to the public. This would give people the chance to engage as 3rd-Party-Developers for mapmaking. Isn't that exactly what we are waiting for?

I don't know what the CryEngine is capable of, but I know that the ED-Team knows best what's good for their project and what's not.

So comparing an unknown engine to one that maybe able to do something from a consumers point of view is pretty pointless IMHO.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

The only thing that makes sense to me, is if ED is creating a fully fledged terrain editor software that is easy to use. The Nevada map is only the first test subject required for disclosing what is needed of such software, being developed in parallell. When Nevada comes, the editor will be released to the public as well, and will enable any serious group to develop any theatre they wish, fast, with focus on content and not technicalities, either paid or for free.

Nice plane on that gun...

OS764 P930@4 MBUD3R M6GB G5870 SSDX25 CAntec1200 HTMHW

• ED Team
I heard that Cry-engine 3

Unfortunately, there are no commercial game engines in existence which are suitable for flight simulators.

The technical requirements for FPS and FlightSims are on the opposite sides of the spectrum. It is not possible to meet both in the same engine with the current level of technology. And I doubt it will be possible in the observable future.

The development cost of any top-notch FPS engine, be it ForstBite, Unreal Engine, CryEngine or whatever, is tens of millions USD. Given the tiny market for flight sims, there's no commercial sense to invest so much money into the development of a flight sim engine.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

yeah, you're right my friend, although i'm not so sure if i and others still will be around for it and already blended to something else to spend time and money on. We still live in a world where it's all about the money in the end. Familiy's need to eat and pensions need to be build, you get my drift? Handing out tools without letting it generate millions these days and have tons of time and cost involved simply is a hard nutt to crack, but i'll stop now. I'm not going to make a fool out of myself here. Have fun and a good weekend, also happy 4th of Juli to our US playerbase.

Edited by BRooDJeRo

Why is this thread not in Chit Chat by now?

;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I'm not comparing anything, because from my point of view there's nothing to compare, all i'm saying is that shit is already outthere. Time to wake up or fall behind.

"Time to wake up or fall behind" IS a comparrison.

A racer that runs his race alone with nobody in sight and no laptime to compare himself to, can't fall behind anything.

Fortunately, for flight sims there's always the reality to compare with ;)

Thank God this is to compare, not to compete with :)

On a second thought, even reality may advance.

I see what ED are trying to achieve. but atm dcs WORLD as we all want it is a long way off. Unfortunately we all have to wait. one day i hope we can have a sim the combines arma with dcs. .dcs world could be huge and i feel it will be. but we all have to be patient and keep supporting ED and the third party guys. the time will come when we will be complaining that theres too much to chose from :) and tbh tsking part in a virtual red flag on a nevada map with other groups will be pretty cool

Unfortunately, there are no commercial game engines in existence which are suitable for flight simulators.

The technical requirements for FPS and FlightSims are on the opposite sides of the spectrum. It is not possible to meet both in the same engine with the current level of technology. And I doubt it will be possible in the observable future.

The development cost of any top-notch FPS engine, be it ForstBite, Unreal Engine, CryEngine or whatever, is tens of millions USD. Given the tiny market for flight sims, there's no commercial sense to invest so much money into the development of a flight sim engine.

i certainly do not want to be confrontational but i find it disconcerting when a member of any software development team says "i doubt it will be possible in the observable future". :) Moores law has certainly proven itself over the last years and developers have indeed brought the two elements together in some respect already.

Look at Battleground Europe - the flight model and FPS model was simplistic compared to DCS?ARMA but they did in fact meet on a massive terrain. i played that game for 10 years before coming to DCS. i recall flying my ju87 for 30 minutes from Gilze to the River Muese to strafe FPS players attacking an axis town and drop my 250lber on unsuspecting A13tanks.

Star citizen is another interesting example. Perhaps this community is just not defining the vision properly and robbing ourselves of both investment and ideation? i do hope there is a development team out there saying "it is possible... we just have to figure out how." :)

Edited by dooom

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

My guess is at least 5,000.

At the current rate, that gives them about 3 years. :)

• ED Team
Moores law has certainly proven itself over the last years

Some food for thought: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/155941-supercomputing-director-bets-2000-that-we-wont-have-exascale-computing-by-2020

Current trends in consumer hardware suggest the article applies here as well.

When I say "it's not possible" I mean the practical (read: commercial) feasibility.

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

• ED Team
I think this is what you're talking about:

http://unigine.com/sim/

"Huge open space: 262x262 km"

"Large visibility distance: 40km"

"the dataset is 60 GB in size already"

"running on consumer-level hardware... a single NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN"

This is what I'm talking about.

Edited by c0ff