DCS World 2.0 and New Maps Discussion Thread

Wags

Wasn't my point really. Just hope we get support for it in the future. Just was pointing out that DX11 has been out for quite some time and we are only now getting support for it.

Although I guess it does sound like I am complaining, don't mean it that way.

I'm happy for DX11 in EDGE, and can't wait to try it out.

Sorry, I was a bit agitated by this useless discussion.

Rather than DirectX12 or 13 or whatever is next I'd like to see things fixed or enhanced, that actually affects the experience like the AI, the scripting system, additional ground forces, a civilian or neutral faction, up to date light armored vehicles, small boats that can go up a river, a "living" airport with ground crew etc.

New shiny graphics come with EDGE already. New maps are inbound due to EDGE. Now about the possibility to build realistic believable missions?

Couldn't care less about DirectX 12, as however it may improves graphics , if ground forces can't even follow a road as a railway bridge will stack'em, AI drives in circles when formations get stuck etc. all beauty of the new graphics won't enhance the actual "gameplay".

This community has some very talented mission builders. Most of them stopped building any new missions and wait for DCS World 2.x to get the real problems fixed.

I'm sure ED gives the AI and ME a good overhaul and lots of bugs will be addressed, but just eyecandy won't save the day.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I was a bit agitated by this useless discussion.

Rather than DirectX12 or 13 or whatever is next I'd like to see things fixed or enhanced, that actually affects the experience like the AI, the scripting system, additional ground forces, a civilian or neutral faction, up to date light armored vehicles, small boats that can go up a river, a "living" airport with ground crew etc.

New shiny graphics come with EDGE already. New maps are inbound due to EDGE. Now about the possibility to build realistic believable missions?

Couldn't care less about DirectX 12, as however it may improves graphics , if ground forces can't even follow a road as a railway bridge will stack'em, AI drives in circles when formations get stuck etc. all beauty of the new graphics won't enhance the actual "gameplay".

This community has some very talented mission builders. Most of them stopped building any new missions and wait for DCS World 2.x to get the real problems fixed.

I'm sure ED gives the AI and ME a good overhaul and lots of bugs will be addressed, but just eyecandy won't save the day.

DCS 2.0 is not limited to Just DX11/EDGE.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Man can't wait to see the change log for dcs 2.0

Yeah will probably come in PDF format and rival flight manuals in length

Or at least I hope it does, I love reading release notes for some reason. :book:

Edited by Scoggs

My Specs

Asus Maximus Hero IX Z270

i7 7700k @ 4.7GHz

32GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3700MHz DDR4

EVGA RTX 2080Ti

Samsung 960 Evo 1TB M.2 NVME SSD

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2

Acer XB270HU 144Hz @ 1440p (IPS)

Valve Index

OOOOhhh, I wish I had the Alpha of a Hornet!

Did you get that from Google Translator?

EDIT: Also, at no time has anyone from ED ever called EDGE a 'game' engine. Perhaps that is the root flaw in most of your assumptions.

I'll quote this again.

No, but from developers videos about EDGE and New maps, terrain SDK etc.

And dont be a "true believer" that DCS isn't a "game".

Otherwise not even developers would talk about new physics, terrains and visual effects that EDGE brings.

I am not talking EDGE is the core for everything, just simply as it is stated, the graphics engine that renders every visual piece. As I stated earlier, edge doesn't seem to touch anything that is behind the scenes like liquids in fuel tanks or oil pressure simulation etc.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I'm quite serious:

Maybe mind control was a bad choice of words. Non native speaker here... :D

DCS + Mind controller headset = Firefox (movie)

Just missing the Mig-31 module

I don't care about DirectX at all, just waiting that those serious problems gets fixed with 2.x series (sooner the better) and if that requires the EDGE, then it is important.

I don't find current map as problem by visually, but simulation wise as it makes feel stupid to fly a A-10C or KA-50 when it is always same without surprises. And by same I mean that trees or even buildings doesn't cut line of sight, a AI that always knows where you are, a magical weapons and radar ranges that are cut in thin air and you can jump in/out over them. A ground vehicles that engage you while you don't even see them or those can't even cross a small river or find a way to get trough a small city without getting jammed.

It is always fun to try and seek a new planes and weapons. But when quickly you learn how to exploit the internal rules (limits) then it becomes frustrating experience.

Like try to sneak in a KA-50 to area where is a SAM behind forest, when you suddenly see a missile coming at you because you entered in its range while there is no way it would see you or be able fire missile at you.

Not nice to fly a CAS tasks when enemy AA doesn't need to consider a engagement zones depending terrain obstacles.

Alone fixing a huge amount of simulation rules (LOS etc) and adding bunch of randomization with probabilities (LOS with angle of views instead magical 360° view all the time), situational awareness to AI so it doesn't end up sitting as duck when being attacked etc etc.

The feel of frustration is huge when existing modules can't be used without sudden immersion break up because you just didn't "play by the game rules".

Alone a such basic fixes would make combined arms a very serious module when we would need to take care of all ground elements instead just terrain height.

Flying on desert will not have a such problems as typically trees are not there giving cover or such.

DCS 2.0 is not limited to Just DX11/EDGE.

I know, that's what I said... :D

Just emphasizing that the fixes DCS 2 will bring are much more important for the simulation experience than the eye candy EDGE will bring... not that I woukd miss the new looks, they are awesome, but if I had to choose between new graphics and fixed AI and new features I would definitely prefer working AI and new features.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I'm sure EDGE doesn't *just* consist of a DX9->DX11 migration and a level/map format. ...Or it would have been finished long-ago. Though this post is just adding fuel to the fire, it seems we've spent years on this forum debating about how EDGE is going to be the savior that finally fixes bug (your #1 gripe here).

The truth is that DX9, and thus, DCS, is quite CPU-bound. That one change will relieve a lot of other problems and probably enable the majority of DCS users to enjoy a better optimized engine.

I myself, am hoping that OR support will continue - those same improvements mean that I can squeeze performance out of my AMD/nVidia/OR setup.

IF edge does seek to take advantage of multiple cores, the IPC advantage that Intel has can lead to being able to experience max framerates at max-settings. AMD cpus should enjoy a dramatic performance increase compared to the doldrums it's currently in. (IMO, this makes more sense than pursuing multiple GPU support - what percentage of people here doesn't have a minimum of 4 cores?) That means more capacity for physics, AI, voice recognition, and other bits of interactivity ...mind control notwithstanding.

But if I had to make a wish/xmas list - I gotta say, having more/better AI would be nice (Enemies respond as a group to threats, no more "all seeing" enemies). And a plug-in architecture to extend/add features to different parts of the engine. Oh, and a Super Hornet...all before xmas, please-and-thank-you.

Sometimes I get of my chair. Roll it 30cm back and do a little dance.

Then I think of DCS 2.0; a new map, multi seats and shaders to make flight simulation poetry.

I always end with my best disco moves and hope to have some fun with bugs and pc hardware. Because-thats-what-I-like-best.

happy.gif

Edited by piXel496
To be honest I always check if nobody saw my performance. Then I say: Ooh ye..

I don't expect any gameplay bug fixes for the intitial 2.0 version. On the contrary: I expect lots of new bugs being introduced to the sim. After that the bug fixing will start.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

I would love an update/newsletter on EDGE , anything to keep us going for another month, like status updates, less general release date etc.

at least they give us something to discuss on the forum...

I`m sure i`m not the only one that opens the forum 5 (hundred?) times a day to check if there's anything new...

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Look up the last post from Wags on the subject. ;)

Hah i`m fully aware of every developer comment on this board and all newsletters.

Its simply that i require daily updates to get my fix! or atleast twice a week :lol:

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ya know what I would love to see in DCS... Jet streams! That would take dogfighting to a whole new level!

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)

Ya know what I would love to see in DCS... Jet streams! That would take dogfighting to a whole new level!

Since 'jet streams' are air currents, I will guess that you are talking about something else.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I'm guessing contrails, maybe?

Last time I checked, we had those.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

He's right though, jet stream winds would be a good addition, high altitude winds are somewhat lacking in DCS. Even with static weather you can't set more than around 97 knots windspeed, which doesn't cut it for high alt winds in areas of the world which sit under the jet stream wind currents (like Nevada/Middle East).

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

I'm guessing contrails, maybe?

:huh: You know contrails only form at high altitudes? They are modeled since, well lockon, if I remember correct?

Shagrat

high altitude winds are somewhat lacking in DCS. Even with static weather you can't set more than around 97 knots...).

Technically speaking anything over 60kts. is considered a jetstream (high or low level). It's not possible to define a 'stream' in DCS as winds aloft are 'map-wide' and not confined within a 'corridor' though.

Personally I couldn't care less about jetstreams in DCS. Other weather phenomena such as fog could do with extensive improvement in the sim. Hopefully EDGE will allow that...

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."