Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

Anyone know how to get Oculus going in Multiplayer? I unchecked the 'auto-detect' box in DCS (as mentioned in the forums), which enabled me to get into the cockpit with Oculus, but the Oculus was not operating (no motion & spit screen).

Wondering when DCS will update. An increasing number of people are attaining the DK2, which would be in DCS best interest to keep with the updates. (People will most likely purchase all the aircraft in DCS with Oculus multiplayer working)

Thanks.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so you guys know ED has not even acknowledged that multiplayer does or does not work with the Rift. I for one can tell you that not one single person I know of has gotten it to work.Since they wont say a single thing about it my guess would be that its low on their priority list.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

Jet Fighter cockpit in your living room

This will go nicely with a rift:

New kickstarter for cockpits

Looks very cool.

search kickstarter for:

They are building strong cockpits out of cardboard and they are textured.

Very cool idea.

-michael

You don't want a pit with the Rift, you can't see the switches. You'd want

a proper implementation of Leap Motion that shows where you're hand and

fingers are so you can manipulate the switches in game.

Leap Motion attachment for Oculus VR

https://www.leapmotion.com/product/vr

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

This will go nicely with a rift:

New kickstarter for cockpits

Looks very cool.

search kickstarter for:

They are building strong cockpits out of cardboard and they are textured.

Very cool idea.

-michael

With the rift I am going the complete opposite, I have gone from an a10 pit to a basic aces seat with controls. For the rift, why would I want something that takes up that much space?

With the rift I am going the complete opposite, I have gone from an a10 pit to a basic aces seat with controls. For the rift, why would I want something that takes up that much space?

...and that you aren't going to see, while using it, anyway.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

i'm on fire to buy oculus rift here but i wonder how bad the resolution is at the moment!

what about Huey can i read the gauges?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

i'm on fire to buy oculus rift here but i wonder how bad the resolution is at the moment!

what about Huey can i read the gauges?

Yes, you can read somehow but not good. From normal seat postion you can't really read numbers. And its not easy even when you lean forward. But you can see needles postion still OK.

For now you are leagally blind pilot with DV2 :D (in real life you wouldn't get driver lisence with that bad eyesight.

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

thanks for the reply buddy!!!

i guess i'll wait for final version its a cool tech but right now not worth it:joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

Interestingly I find the main instruments in the Dora quite readable, also the rift makes a bit of a revelation about the infamous 190 'bar' it simply is not an issue in the rift.

i was thinking to buy a new IPS ultrawide panel vs the oculus rift

now i know that with oculus you have atotal different and awesome experience but i was hoping someone helping me getting a choice!!

a new monitor?

or

the oculus?

i don't want to throw my money and regreat it later!

Oculus DK2 is not ready for real consumer use, you will regret it if your only goal is DCS. Wait for consumer version of Oculus Rift. However nobody knows when it happens. I assume in 1 year or more.

Meanwhile you could get the monitor.

I personally enjoy Flight sims much more on triple 3D screens setup, but it's more expensive.

Oculus DK2 is not ready for real consumer use, you will regret it if your only goal is DCS. Wait for consumer version of Oculus Rift. However nobody knows when it happens. I assume in 1 year or more.

Meanwhile you could get the monitor.

I personally enjoy Flight sims much more on triple 3D screens setup, but it's more expensive.

thanks for your reply buddy...

~salute~

i was thinking to buy a new IPS ultrawide panel vs the oculus rift

now i know that with oculus you have atotal different and awesome experience but i was hoping someone helping me getting a choice!!

a new monitor?

or

the oculus?

i don't want to throw my money and regreat it later!

If you were to buy a dev kit now it would be a short lived investment. You will still want the consumer version when it's released and by then will also likely need a new graphics card to go with it. It's fun and like its predecessor it shows us a nice glimpse of the future but it is not good enough yet for serious flight simulation.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

If you were to buy a dev kit now it would be a short lived investment. You will still want the consumer version when it's released and by then will also likely need a new graphics card to go with it. It's fun and like its predecessor it shows us a nice glimpse of the future but it is not good enough yet for serious flight simulation.

exactly my thoughts...

maybe in 2 years from now;)

You don't want a pit with the Rift, you can't see the switches. You'd want

a proper implementation of Leap Motion that shows where you're hand and

fingers are so you can manipulate the switches in game.

Leap Motion attachment for Oculus VR

https://www.leapmotion.com/product/vr

Hakjar,

The problem with LEAP today is that it's *NOWHERE* close to being accurate. It's very jittery and it's fine for large movements (swatting a ball with your open hand), but no where fine enough to toggle switches. You can, but you have to learn to hold your hand steady, hover your hand, try to move your finger so you won't hit the toggle next to the one you want etc. As of today, it's on par with Oculus. Fun and interesting, but not even close to being a mass consumer product.

I got the Leap so my son can play a breakout game (meant for kids with strabismus/amblyopia) and even something that simple was too much for the leap.

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

@Hansangb:

Yes I know it's not ready yet but I really hope that they can improve

the accuracy and that LM together with OR will make a true VR pit

achievable in the near future.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

LeapMotion is absolutely useless. Is the perfect example of a perfect useless gadget. I had one and I want to say the feeling that I had while using it was at least awkward. You simply have to re-train your brain telling it that the world is different, that your entire life senses were wrong.

OR combined with LM it looks for me like the world is upside down.

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

OR combined with LM it looks for me like the world is upside down.

Good way to describe it. :lol:

The specs that LEAP has raised tens of millions of dollars with are impressive, but the results are simply not there yet. We'll have to see what software tricks they have up their sleeve.

Oculus VR introducing the Samsung Gear VR Innovator Edition - http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/introducing-the-samsung-gear-vr-innovator-edition/

PS Based on Samsung Galaxy Note 4, 2560x1440 AMOLED. But for mobile VR.

I9-9900K@5000, Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Dell UP3216q

VPC MongoosT-50 CM2 Stick, Base (75+100 ext.) & Throttle, BRD KG-13B, adapted to use with Warthog connector, VKB MK20-3 Pro Pedals, 2 x Saitek Quadrant,

Pimax Vision 8K Plus + 2 HTC Bases + Index Controllers + DAS

A lot of 3D printed modifications for all above.

Ultimaker 2+; Hardlight Sirius

Oculus Rift improvements planned for 2.0 :-)

DCS World 2.0 Coming in 2014

The next iteration of DCS World (formerly 1.3.0) is currently in internal testing and will be available as a free download later in 2014. All DCS modules will be fully compatible with DCS World 2.0. As with DCS World 1.0, 2.0 will also include the FREE TF-51D and Su-25T. New features of DCS World 2.0, but subject to change, include:

DirectX 11 support

Improved game performance

New and improved lighting

Improved effects

New water animations

Improved shadows

Unified GUI that eliminates the need for separate GUI and simulation .exe while also speeding up mission load times. Later, this will also allow us to integrate simulation elements into the Encyclopaedia and Mission Editor

Ability to access new maps that will be sold as separate modules

New grass and clutter

New clouds

Ability to create dedicated server

Skeleton animations

Depth of field support

Improved Oculus VR support

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051