Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

Chivas, I can understand there will be a challenge with roomscale but I think it will be the superior experience. I have learned one thing from trying to simulate roomscale with the DK2; I will only be buying a HMD that has MUCH better tracking than a DK2. The DK2 can only just track a fighter cockpit properly and it can only do about 2.5m-3m straight down the lens. I have made a few recordings now and I have had to use a lot of tricks to get the shots.

Here is a similar video to the last one. I made this one with the AI Chinook. Like I said, I have to move the camera to get these shots because the DK2 doesn't track very well. Still it should give a good idea.

I'm going to upload one more video taken 'Point of View' on the Ticonderoga class ship under attack from some Tu-22M3 anti-ship bombers. It turned out cooler than I exepected. I will probably make another video 'Point of View' on an OHP class vessel in the future.

Also planned is a roomscale demo in the Mi-8. I want to simulate a cargo slingload operation. I want to see if a person in VR can hangout the sidedoor and give directions on the intercom.

The single camera DK2 "prototype" wasn't optimized for large room scale simming. I'm sure you won't have any problems doing your simulated walk around aircraft check with the dual tracking Vive and Rift units. The Touch inputs may even be better for performing aircraft checks with their more inherent hand dexterity possibilities. The Vive wands will be better suited in their current form for ground crews marshalling aircraft. That said we have no idea what the final specs of either units are yet.

I've looked forward to the day we could have the OPTION to socialize, and plan missions in the ready room, and run to the aircraft when scrambled. BUT nobody would have a room that large, so some sort simulated motion would have to be incorporated. So it would make absolutely no difference if your usable VR space was 6x6 or 15x15.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would like to sit next to Chivas in the ready room and chat in VR. :)

Now your making me uncomfortable. ;] That said I'm sure squads would love it. In the future I can see squad leaders standing infront of the war map detailing their missions. With each member having their own persona and style, so you know who to look at when your giving them the stick. :)

edit... when I actually think about it, the social aspect of gaming can be far more immersive than offline gaming....my most immersive experiences in flight sims were partnering with people from around the world in the flight sim environment. Many people have derided Oculus when they partnered with Facebook, saying that Facebook would turn the Rift from a gaming peripheral to a social peripheral. It never happened, as Facebook just poured more money into making the best possible VR headset, as they understood that a great gaming headset would also translate into a great social headset. The Social aspect only enhances the experience of any sim.

Edited by Chivas

As this year's CES is giving us practically nothing new, I was trying to hype myself...

Do you realize that at some point on the future we will meet in a virtual meeting room before a mission? :)

:lol:

And after the mission briefing, everybody downstairs to the ramp to do the walk around and board our mighty machines.

повторение мать учения!

Here's my renewed request for a seat adjustment control. It's frustrating to get one's eyepoint set correctly at times with the Oculus.

ED: Let's have a seat adjustment :joystick:

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

повторение мать учения!

Here's my renewed request for a seat adjustment control. It's frustrating to get one's eyepoint set correctly at times with the Oculus.

ED: Let's have a seat adjustment :joystick:

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, we do have that. Here's what I think you have to do (to the best of my recollection):

If you press LAlt + C, it toggles "clickable mouse cockpit control." You want it off, so that the little yellow crosshair is gone. Then, for me at least, I have to hold down my middle mouse button and just move the mouse. Forward/backward movement moves you up and down, left/right movement moves you left and right, and rolling the mouse wheel while still holding it down moves you forward and backward. (All this assumes that your mouse wheel is also your middle mouse button.) Now, I'm not sure if you have to map these movements to your mouse, because I don't remember doing that myself, so it may be the default.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if it doesn't, so that I can edit this post or delete it altogether. Good luck... :)

Thanks, Gents, I found it...and it's something heretofore I didn't know to exist :) While it's a bit wonky to use, it is possible to move the eyepoint in each plane with RShft+RCtrl+KP(x) and then save that position as the default eyepoint by aircraft. :joystick:

My angst has been cured :thumbup: :smartass: :pilotfly:

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Thanks, Gents, I found it...and it's something heretofore I didn't know to exist :) While it's a bit wonky to use, it is possible to move the eyepoint in each plane with RShft+RCtrl+KP(x) and then save that position as the default eyepoint by aircraft. :joystick:

My angst has been cured :thumbup: :smartass: :pilotfly:

Is it wonky to use for you because you have to use two hands?

The way I suggested requires only one hand. Could you not get it to work for you?

Anyone notice the rock solid FPS with the latest NVIDIA drivers? The one released (for GTX980, anyway) on Nov 4? Previously, Oil Rig landing was unplayable. Free flight was mostly OK until you got close to the ground. After the Nvidia update, it's locked at 75FPS. Anyone notice it?

Now, I did add JSGME to add Polaris DCS profile, but I don't think that had anything to do with it.

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Anyone notice the rock solid FPS with the latest NVIDIA drivers? The one released (for GTX980, anyway) on Nov 4? Previously, Oil Rig landing was unplayable. Free flight was mostly OK until you got close to the ground. After the Nvidia update, it's locked at 75FPS. Anyone notice it?

Now, I did add JSGME to add Polaris DCS profile, but I don't think that had anything to do with it.

hsb

What's "Polaris DCS profile"? I must have missed it.

Markeebo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• ED Team
DCS World is now working in Vive and we are currently testing the VR game controllers for cockpit interaction.

great news :thumbup:

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

DCS World is now working in Vive and we are currently testing the VR game controllers for cockpit interaction.

Interesting! From what I have seen, the Vive controllers have impressive accuracy, but I can imagine cockpit interaction would require crazy accuracy. I would be really impressed if this actually works well.

What's "Polaris DCS profile"? I must have missed it.

Markeebo

Just a predefined setup for Warthog. Uniform (when possible) actions, nice layout pictures etc.,

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=138953

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Wow..that's great news! But I'm not holing out hope on the usefulness of controller to cockpit interaction. Especially with HOTAS in the equation. Thank you ED!

hsb

Hansang

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Is it wonky to use for you because you have to use two hands?

The way I suggested requires only one hand. Could you not get it to work for you?

It's wonky b/c I cannot see it with the Oculus on my face. It does the job and works just like I'd have hoped :) I'm going to see if I can bind some buttons to it so it's simpler to use - at least for me. As far as I'm concerned, I'm good with this...it works...and even if it's a bit wonky for me, I'm good to go :smartass:

hsb

I get smooth frame rates with everything mostly down on my GTX780. It's mostly 75. I can say that DCS 1.5 with the Oculus is the very best flight sim experience I have had in my nearly 30 years of doing it.

Excellent news and thank you for the update :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edited by DerekSpeare

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

DerekSpeare, I was getting 75 on non-AI instant actions (in Huey, the same for A10). Free flights, 75 mostly and no issues. But when you fire up the Oil Rig Landing machine, it's immediately drops to 35 or so. Now with the update, it's rock solid at 75. I'm using GTX 980. In preparation for CV/Vive supporting SLI, I just purchased another 980. Let's hope my gamble pays off! :)

But I do agree that DCS 1.5 *really* makes the game shine. I can't wait to try out Vive now that ED is testing it. Great times for flight simmers.

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

I'm using GTX 980. In preparation for CV/Vive supporting SLI, I just purchased another 980. Let's hope my gamble pays off! :)

hsb

Does the DK2 support SLI? I've read 1.5 sees significant increases in performance but as of yet, if not read anything definitive regarding the 1.5+DK2 combo.

Markeebo

I don't believe it does. I know that 1.5 supports SLI (for some anyway) when not using DK2. I'll let you know. The second card just arrived. :)

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

DerekSpeare, I was getting 75 on non-AI instant actions (in Huey, the same for A10). Free flights, 75 mostly and no issues. But when you fire up the Oil Rig Landing machine, it's immediately drops to 35 or so. Now with the update, it's rock solid at 75. I'm using GTX 980. In preparation for CV/Vive supporting SLI, I just purchased another 980. Let's hope my gamble pays off! :)

But I do agree that DCS 1.5 *really* makes the game shine. I can't wait to try out Vive now that ED is testing it. Great times for flight simmers.

hsb

I'm hoping your bet is true. I plan to add 2 GTX980's next year if the Oculus supports SLI. :)

And is it me or did others lose their Oculus functionality after this most recent update? WTF?

Edited by DerekSpeare

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

Its awesome that DCS appears to be effectively implementing the HTC Vive headset. I may be able to fly DCS this year with a consumer version headset, but there are still a lot of unanswered questions about final specs of either unit Even if the specs are comparable it may be difficult to procure the Vive even if they manage the proposed "limited" release this year. Now that DCS is working with HTC, and Oculus, it would sure help to find out which unit the developers preferred but its unlikely they will suggest one way or the other anytime soon. :( We don't even know it they have access to later prototypes than the DK2.

I'm hoping your bet is true. I plan to add 2 GTX980's next year if the Oculus supports SLI. :)

And is it me or did others lose their Oculus functionality after this most recent update? WTF?

I also lost the Oculus function completely, but got it back by updating the Oculus runtime to version 0.8.0.0 and also updating the Nvidia drivers to version 358.87, as specified on the Oculus website.

Same here, I'm on Win10, hoping for a quick hotfix!

I also lost the Oculus function completely, but got it back by updating the Oculus runtime to version 0.8.0.0 and also updating the Nvidia drivers to version 358.87, as specified on the Oculus website.

So is it safe to update?

Sent by mobile device sorry for the spelling.

Windows 10 - i7 950@3.80 GHz - RAM 6Gbytes - Gigabyte GTX790 G1 - Thrustmaster T-FLIGHT HOTAS X - Oculus Rift DK2