Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

Nvidia is now speculating that PC hardware will need a seven fold increase in raw power to drive VR properly. I hope they are referring to the power that will be required to drive the much higher 4K/8K/16K} resolutions that VR headsets require to look more real. Currently I'm hoping to just upgrade my GPU to next level above the 980TI, to run flight sims on the lower res CV1, and Vive.

There is some truth to that, but its exaggerated. 4-5x max.

Polaris is supposed to more than doubles the GCN efficientcy in 2016

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ED Team
I wanna see final specs first, lol.

and what DCS HuDs look like.

on that note I was playing A-10C via HMD with Screen streamed to cell phone, just to test haptics,

and I know I can fly with a HMD and still reach forward and press the right OSB without seeing them..

Same for me Skate, I want to see finial spec and price before I make my mind up between vive and occulus

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

they sent out Final Retail versions to developers.

gonna send some skype messages to friends in other studios,

they are likely under nda though.

Its between Rift, Vive or Built one myself.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Not sure why people think they will have to preorder without knowing the cost and specs. Didn't Lucky's announcement suggest that all we need to know will be stated on Jan 6th when preorder starts. I would think "all we need to know" would have to include Price and Specs. There is nothing more important than that.

We would also have to think that Vive will announce their "very very big breakthrough" before the Rift preorders start. If they don't, that suggests that their "very very big breakthrough" isn't as big as they would like us to think. That said, I'm hoping its a very very very big breakthrough. :)

We would also have to think that the Rift NDA will be lifted, and DCS might be able to give us a hint at the Rifts performance if they have one that's recently come off the assembly line.

Edited by Chivas

No company in their right mind would expect to sell a product without making sure prospective buyers knew all they needed to know. Anything short of that is irresponsible and reckless. I think personally that if anyone waits just a tick to do anything other than buy, they're going to miss it.

My bet is that they will sell in excess of one million at 575 USD each.

Edited by DerekSpeare

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

I wanna see final specs first, lol.

and what DCS HuDs look like.

on that note I was playing A-10C via HMD with Screen streamed to cell phone, just to test haptics,

and I know I can fly with a HMD and still reach forward and press the right OSB without seeing them..

But how did you get your fingers inside the goggle to poke at the screen? :D

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

BTW, you guys really think that when you go to pre-order page, the price and specs won't be listed?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

75FPS over Vegas strip

I received my new GTX 980Ti today and spent the past few hours overclocking. Result- I manage 75fps solid over Vegas for the first time. I flew the huey from Nellis down the strip and landed by the Mi8 at McCarran. It was silky smooth.

I got the core clock on the card up to 1.5Ghz and the memory to 7600mHz. My cpu is a 4770k at 4.2GHz.

All settings are at minimum for now but finally having zero judder makes up for the lack of eye candy. No idea how it will fair when CV1 arrives but I couldn't keep using my 780OC and playing the waiting game for Pascal.

I'll spend some time playing with settings to see if anything can be turned up.

Edited by Frusheen

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Pricing and Specs will be announced with the Pre Order Page

I hope so... my personal expectations, it will be about $450 to 550 given that it comes with xbox controller and two games.

I'm thinking it'll be a touch under $400. But after buying dk1 then dk2 and waiting years for this release I'll probably pay more if I have too.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Yes the wording was " Its reasonable for what you get." That does sound like backpedaling to me too. We will know for sure in two sleeps.

as long as it's less then $600 I'm happy...or shall I say my wife is happy :thumbup:

ps if my wife asks it cost $50 lol

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

I'm hoping it doesn't make the news and they say the price.

That would take a lot more explaining or lying :joystick:

lol my wife reads the daily mail...

it's always full of lies ....thankfully :book:

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

Great. No sale for me otherwise.

However, most will wait to see what Vive has to offer this week to make an informed decision. Oculus is probably trying to lock in impulse buyers before Vive's big announcement at CES this week.

You're probably right. I'll end up buying both just to check it out. I can always sell the one I don't end up using.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Carry case

At least it will come, like DK1, with carry case :thumbup:

[ame]

[/ame]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 10 Pro x64, Asus PG279Q, i7-6700K, Nvidia GTX1080TI, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, TM Warthog, Saitek Combat Pro Rudder Pedals, TIR5+Trackclip

wow Oculus is giving the rift for free for all original DK1 kickstarter backers.Pretty amazing...for them :thumbup:

Thats like over 6k kits if I'm not mistaken

Edited by wasyl00

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 10 Pro x64, Asus PG279Q, i7-6700K, Nvidia GTX1080TI, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, TM Warthog, Saitek Combat Pro Rudder Pedals, TIR5+Trackclip

wow Oculus is giving the rift for free for all original DK1 kickstarter backers.Pretty amazing...for them :thumbup:

Thats like over 6k kits if I'm not mistaken

I presume that includes all the backers who swore they wouldn't buy the rift after the takeover because Palmer had 'sold out' to Facebook. It'll be interesting to see how many of them turn down the offer of a free rift now:music_whistling:

Oculus have just beaten HTC in the PR battle at least.

The Vive has made some definite improvements with ergonomics, the pass through camera, and chaperone system. Some initial reports are suggesting the Vive display has improved slightly, but the Rift's combination of optics, and display are a little better. I haven't read any reports yet that suggests the Vive display is better than the Rift, but I'm sure they will come out. It will be almost impossible to know which reports are unbias, so trying the different units ourselves would be the best option.

I won't require a pass through camera to use my Hotas system, or want VR inputs at this point in time, so I'm still leaning toward the Rift , "if in fact" the Rifts optics and display are slightly better. We should know all the facts on the Rift tomorrow, and it may even include a pass through camera. Unfortunately we probably won't know the final specs, and price of the Vive until their preorders open in February.