New member, testing the water

Howdy,

Long story short: I'm looking for a flight sim for my dad, who's retired, and a bit of a propeller-head.. He's not all that patient with computers (he's an old school engineer), so I'm kinda looking for something that'll hopefully get him hooked, but won't require a degree in computer science and registry hacking to enable him to play it.

I'm providing him with a new computer, and tech support over the phone, but I'm hoping that DCS will be a fairly easy computer experience (I don't mind if the 'planes are hard to fly - as long as the software ain't).

Do you think I'm going to be inflicting a world of frustration upon my pa with DCS, or is it easy enough for the computer-ignorant to get a good experience?

I'm going to start him off with DCS world, and an entry level joystick/controller - and if he takes a shine to it then hopefully it won't be hard to kit him out with the add-ons..

Is this the right approach, or am I better off getting him MS Flight Sim X ..?

I kinda like simulators as well, though I've yet to get my teeth into anything serious (my pc is getting on a bit) - my last experience was A10-cuba back around the late 90's (if that even qualifies)

• Like 1

Howdy,

Long story short: I'm looking for a flight sim for my dad, who's retired, and a bit of a propeller-head.. He's not all that patient with computers (he's an old school engineer), so I'm kinda looking for something that'll hopefully get him hooked, but won't require a degree in computer science and registry hacking to enable him to play it.

I'm providing him with a new computer, and tech support over the phone, but I'm hoping that DCS will be a fairly easy computer experience (I don't mind if the 'planes are hard to fly - as long as the software ain't).

Do you think I'm going to be inflicting a world of frustration upon my pa with DCS, or is it easy enough for the computer-ignorant to get a good experience?

I'm going to start him off with DCS world, and an entry level joystick/controller - and if he takes a shine to it then hopefully it won't be hard to kit him out with the add-ons..

I kinda like simulators as well, though I've yet to get my teeth into anything serious (my pc is getting on a bit) - my last experience was A10-cuba back around the late 90's (if that even qualifies)

I personally don't think DCS A-10 is that difficult. The good thing about DCS is, you can choose the difficulty for yourself. DCS FC3 is not as high fidelity as A-10 or BS2. Even in those two, you can go for "GAME" flight model and avionics (in setup) which simplifies the things considerably. The software itself is pretty easy and straightforward.

I Believe he would love this Sim... But you have to at least get him the A10 and P51 Modules

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Howdy,

Hello My name is Air_Wolf(62's) he may find being with someone older will be more easier to be with he is more than welcome to join in with us..and fly around in the DCS-Mustang...

Cheers..:thumbup:

[/Table]

Recruiting for Aerobatic Team/Fighter Group...

thanks for the welcome - it's reassuring.. especially if there's a way to dial in the complexity of the simulation. I've no idea if I can persuade him into online flying - whilst my folks have broadband, I've no idea of the quality or speed of the connection, and it would be yet another learning experience, on top of having a new computer, with a new operating system..

I find that DCS P-51 is quick and simple to launch, and quick to jump into a mission - which I'm guessing if it wasn't, those who find computers 'fiddly' would get annoyed and drop it like a hot spud!

Of course, some time may be needed to set the joystick buttons in the first place, but I reckon from boot of PC I can be flying in about 4 mouse clicks!

Fractal Define R4 Case | Core i7-9700K @ 4.9GHz| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi | Gigabyte RTX3080 Gaming OC 12GB | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (OS) | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (DCS) | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (Steam library) | 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD | Corsair 750W Gold PSU | Corsair H60 Hydro Series CPU Cooler | [TrackIR 5 unused] | Meta Quest Pro | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Win 10 Home 64-bit | Asus PG348Q 34" 3440x1440 Monitor | Bose Companion 3 2.1 Sound

Standard A10 is a much bigger learning curve than FSX. You can get add-ons for FSX that get it up to same level of detail (in terms of aircraft systems) as A10. Really depends on what his interests/likes are between the two. I would suggest however to get at least a decent joystick (rather than a basic one) since so much of A10 is based on various button pushes.

Really? What do you think makes it temperament? Hardware? Software? Drivers?

There is nothing temperamental about it at all. Plug in, install drivers (not necessarily in that order, dependent on hardware) and you're good to go.

What is time-consuming is the setup of the individual profiles. Each aircraft has to be attended to individually so if you are only flying one then it's just like any other SIM. In DCS however the more aircraft you fly the more options you need to configure - one size does not fit all.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

DCS is fairly easy to set-up, you don't need to make an addon dance (old F4 derivates), nor do you need any kind of configuration file alchemy (FSX.cfg).

Yes, setting up individual control profiles is time consuming, setting up multi-monitor + lua export is time consuming, but you don't need those to begin with the sim.

Just make sure his computer is able to run DCS, especially that he has a 64bit OS.

DCS is fairly easy to set-up, you don't need to make an addon dance (old F4 derivates), nor do you need any kind of configuration file alchemy (FSX.cfg).

Yes, setting up individual control profiles is time consuming, setting up multi-monitor + lua export is time consuming, but you don't need those to begin with the sim.

Just make sure his computer is able to run DCS, especially that he has a 64bit OS.

Computer is win7 64bit:

i3 3225 8gb ram GT 640 video - it's not intended as a gaming rig, but i'm hoping it might be able to make a half decent stab at it.

Computer is win7 64bit:

i3 3225 8gb ram GT 640 video - it's not intended as a gaming rig, but i'm hoping it might be able to make a half decent stab at it.

It's more rig than I have. Just don't ask it to do too much in the eye candy department.

You might want to consider letting him watch some Youtube videos of the sim. Or, conversely, let him peruse my website and download some training videos to watch. They're from an earlier version of the sim but will introduce him to some concept, etc. I'm told that several of the vids are quite entertaining. The link is in my signature. Just click and go.

EDIT: As far as flying online is concerned, entering as a "lone wolf" might not be the best experience for him until he has the sim under his belt. It all depends on the server, though, so you should proceed with caution. There are people out there, however, who would gladly take him under their wing so that he gets a positive first experience.

Rich

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Rise of Flight offers a good offline campaign for free, is also easy to handle and has auto-updater. If he likes it, it also nice and easy to extend his plane collection by buying additional airplanes as a gift in the 777 online shop. In every man, there is a kid - That kid wants to play - so it is always nice to try a new toy from time to time, without reading through 600 pages technical manuals. If his feedback indicates he likes Simulations, you can go for DCS and real Study-Sims.

DCS World has an auto-updater and the P-51 should be interesting for him. Unfortunatly DCS is rather and Sandbox-Game - to get the most out of it, you need to download missions from the DCS page or help yourself in the mission editor, or go multiplayer - so the given P-51 campaing could become boring sooner or later.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unsere Facebook-Seite

Skyrocketeer I did a search on the forums Hardware and individual module sections for the i3, I came up empty so they may not have problems. hard to beleive no one here has one.

My concern is the advancing graphics engine and the coming new terrain map. The i3 has 3mb of cache the i5 and i7 6 and 8 respectively the advancements in graphics may cause hickups to the Processors ability to move graphics requests along fast enough, along with the fact that there is No L2 cache on this chip. The i5 and i7s have 4 x 256KB as secondary assists. Multi Media support is there in the i3 (needed for DirectX apps.).

I would seriously concider the upgrade in order to avoid a short period of usability in that you are purchasing this for a Multi Media Enhanced Software program that taxes a mediocre system.

Good luck Hope he loves it. Couldn't get my Dad to take a computerized chess set, couldn't imagine handing him a PC. He would get an Instant Headache. LOL

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

• ED Team

I have a I3 550 :)

Runs fine, infact I used to overclock @4.2 but it has been very stable since I returned to stock settings

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I have a I3 550 :)

Runs fine, infact I used to overclock @4.2 but it has been very stable since I returned to stock settings

Ahhhhh!! Cool that's what I was looking for. Hate to see him get the rig and not get "Total" satifaction.

Thanks for chiming in Bignewy. He can buy with confidence now.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Hi,

I've an Intel Core i3 2100 version, I'd say for 110$, I have the result that I was expecting from it and even more! I play DCS on med/high settings (water low and visibility to med, trees 6000 (no shadows), TSAA disabled) and I have 40-45 FPS average, I never drop under 20 FPS when flying low over a town, also, I play on a 19" wide screen...

It can overrun (I saw that in a serious review) some core i5 and the Phenom 955 X4(not oc) at stock settings.:music_whistling:

Now if you feel lazy to read, jump this paragraph.

However I don't recommend this CPU for someone planning to use a lot of multithreaded softwares (3dsmax, video editing blabla...). I'm enconding my vids with Hanbrake and even with the HT enabled, it's a bit slow, well not dramatic. But if you almost only play games, it's worth it. The 2100 doesn't have too much possibility to oc, I got it at 3.25Ghz instead of 3.1 with increasing the bus speed Wahoo!! lol (not your case anyway).

I'm pretty sure I could increase it to 3.3Ghz (I feel lucky:laugh:) but it doesn't worth it so.

That said the stock settings are well enough, that's just optimization. When I run the sim, there's only the sim (high priority), Freetrack, timer resolution and all the others useless background tasks are killed. I recommend to disable the Hyperthreading to play, personally I leave the power saving features, I just set the power on high performances in Windows to play, I'm a Greenpeace guy you know :protest: (kidding) :D

Too be short, your i3 will run the game pretty nicely, don't worry!!:thumbup:

PS : about the difficulty of the game : if you want to achieve something, you will... :book: otherwise there's different settings i.e game or simulation.

Strike Posture Set CAS Center of Excellence

Intel Core i5 4690k @4,6Ghz, Gigabyte GTX 970 OC, Gigabyte Z97-X, 16GB G Skill Sniper @2400, Samsung 860/850 EVO , Win 10 64 bits, Dual monitors 27"@144"Opentrack + TM Warthog + Saitek pro flight combat 

Before you buy any flight sim software check out the bugs page on the Sims respective forum. DCS world is hit and miss on stability. Personally I have issues with multi player in the current version, but it was awesome before that and there's no release date on a fix.

I also use iL2 cliffs of Dover which is WW2 so all props at the moment. It just had a huge patch released which fixed loads of issues.

Both have good communities.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i7 6700K, 32GB Corsair 2400Mhz, 970 NVMe 500Gb SSD, GeForce 2080 super, HP Reverb, VKB GF PRO, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster Pendular rudders, Windows + DCS :thumbup:

My youtube channel

Just one question pops-up atm... If you get a low to average performing PC right now, where do you stand in a year or so...?

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Just one question pops-up atm... If you get a low to average performing PC right now, where do you stand in a year or so...?

:poster_offtopic:

Intel Core i5 4690k @4,6Ghz, Gigabyte GTX 970 OC, Gigabyte Z97-X, 16GB G Skill Sniper @2400, Samsung 860/850 EVO , Win 10 64 bits, Dual monitors 27"@144"Opentrack + TM Warthog + Saitek pro flight combat 

Off Topic: Not really...

Topic starter posted this halfway the topic (post 13):

Computer is win7 64bit:

I just feel that if you get a new system, you better get it right from the start so it lasts a bit before it becomes "slow". We all know that feeling i reckon. Just my 2 cents...it's only what i would do or recommend system wise, nothing more, nothing less...

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I know that feeling, that's why I posted it^^ Plz don't start creating some doubts :D We will see.

To answer seriously, I don't think that the next year will request awesome PCs for everybody, Arma 3 for example looks in my range, sure I'll don't play this all maxed out, and so what...

May i join the conversation?

DCS sims are pretty steep learning curve games. U need to spend atleast an hour or 2 just go get that feeling what does what. If Ur Dad would like to do some combat missions with excelent aircraft A10C is the way to go but if he is looking for some nice propeler fun i would go for Il2 Sturmovik Cliffs of DOver. Its only 10 bucks on steam it features autopatcher community is great and its not that hard to learn how to fly. Also there is a Axis and Allies single player campaign. A lot of online servers with really mature and helpful people on. And it doesnt require a HOTAS joystic to have fun in it.

Rise of flight is also very good.