So what's the secret to landing in the correct place.

Cowboy10uk

Hi guys, as you all know I've been flying this since day of release, and even with the old FM, I had got to a place where I could land it without killing myself.

However I'm still struggling with where to start my descent.

I always end up, either hovering about at 100 / 50 ft about 500 mtrs from the pad I'm aiming for, or flying straight over it at 150ft and landing long.

Is there any technique that works, with deciding where to start the descent, I tend to set collective at 500fpm descent, and control that using the cyclic, aiming to come to a halt in ground effect just above my aiming point. It just never ends up doing it.

While it is a controlled descent, I just never end up where I'm aiming. :mad:

I know I've asked this before, or at least I think I did. :)

Any advice would be gratefully received. Again just to confirm, this is NOT about keeping control, or passing through the transactional. I can now land in control, ( well sometimes at least :smilewink: ) But how to judge the aiming point.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

The same way they do it in real life. Practice, practice, practice. And once you've got a good handle on it, then you practice some more. There a reason US mil pilots are top candidates for airlines around the world, hundreds of flight hours spent perfecting instruction into muscle memory.

Think about parking your car. You never think about it, you just do it. Its a matter of experience and knowing your vehicle, how it handles and how you are able to maneuver it. Same thing for pilots. Just gotta fly enough to get to that point. It might take a lot of hours, I know I plan on spending a lot of time trying to figure this out myself. I imagine the exact parameters are highly dependent on how you like to fly, cause everyone does it different. I prefer fast and low myself.

Not sure how helpful this is, but my general suggestion would be that it doesn't matter where you start. The key is good speed control throughout the approach. First setup so you are descending and decelerating. Just make sure the rate of deceleration is not too fast - it should be about proportional to your distance to the landing point. I.e. when you are halfway to the LZ from your starting position, you should be at about half the airspeed you started with. It doesn't need to be precise, just close enough to avoid loss of control from a sudden ETL transition or major under/overshoots. Then just try to keep the LZ at the same point on the canopy, like that little "box" in the training video. I find the hardest part is at the very end when you need to stabilize in the hover over the landing point, but if you've done that speed control right, you'll only have a few knots on you right before the landing point, so just a little flare should do it.

Edited by EvilBivol-1

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

Set a mission in editor on air base that have level ground all around. Check with ruler far a reference point between 1700 and 3500 ft from the runway threshold. Now fly a pattern at 300ft AGL and steady 60 kts. When you line up with the runway, and maintaining 300ft and 60 kts, check the height above the dash at witch the runway threshold is when you overfly your reference point. Now fly the pattern and when the runway threshold is at the right height, begin your (GENTLE!) descent, by lowering the collective, adjusting with cyclic to maintain 60 kts, and aim to hit the runway threshold. When you pass 100ft AGL raise the nose do deaccelerate, this will also make you go long, and with practice will put you at 0kts, at 4ft AGL above the runway numbers.

Depending on what will be the distance between runway threshold, and your reference point - the approach angle will be between 10° and 5°. Quite shallow for a helicopter, but too steep to make use of the PAPI/VASI lights or ILS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If a place needs helicopters, it's probably not worth visiting." - Nick Lappos

When I find out that I can`t land on that spot I have choosen I start to fly in circles, descending and flying slower and slower. Keep an keen eye on that VVI gauge. Sure that isn`t the right technique to land on a hot LZ though.

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals

Fantastic tips guys, thanks, with these tips and practise for rest of day, hopefully ill be able to get it before end of the month. :) I will get this, even if I kills me.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

TRIMMING TRIMMING TRIMMING

And then

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

When you know, that you always end up 500m to far, then simply start 500m earlier xD

In the Short Final, look, that you have about 30-40kts and below 500ft sinkrate...

This as a part of a general "Rule"

The rest, as mentioned above ;)

Is there any technique that works, with deciding where to start the descent, I tend to set collective at 500fpm descent, and control that using the cyclic, aiming to come to a halt in ground effect just above my aiming point. It just never ends up doing it.

Don't control your descent rate with the cyclic! That may be your issue. Use collective to control descent rate and cyclic to control forward speed. Break the approach down into segments -

Practice your descents at a set speed and set descent rate so you learn consistency and get a good idea of how the glide slope looks out the window. Dont land in the first attempts just practice going from 400ft to 100ft at maybe 40kts. As confidence increases practice decreasing forward speed in the final stages and descend into ground effect.

I'm not a RL pilot but have found this technique works well.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

I am finding the easiest way is to do the oil rig landings get rid of all the other distractions and just land it on that yellow circle.

Attached are my first attempts at this or rather be honest since the current model, I did try doing this before the update but could never quite get close enough.

This was only after 1 hour of practice with current model, before this I was almost there just teetering on the edge of successful landings 1 in 3 didn't end in the drink or a ball of flames on the deck.

Jay landed on the rig.trk

Jay landed on the rig2.trk

Edited by jay43

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

I try to keep the landing place little bit in front of the nose with 60knots. i try to keep the pitch stable.

moves the landing place constantly away from my nose im too short.

is the landing place always under my nose im too high.

i think thats a good indicator in the beginning. it works for me best with around 40-50knots

:matrix: =SPEED IS LIFE=:matrix:

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/speed-is-life.html

Once in the general area of where you want to land, flare steeply and drop collective to nothing.

Ride the VRS all the way down to 100 feet, raise collective to over halfway, slam the anti-torque to the left and nose down to get out of VRS, gently bounce on ground effect, land, done.

Once in the general area of where you want to land, flare steeply and drop collective to nothing.

Ride the VRS all the way down to 100 feet, raise collective to over halfway, slam the anti-torque to the left and nose down to get out of VRS, gently bounce on ground effect, land, done.

:lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, last sentence before death :D

or

...lets ride the "Chuck-Norris-style" baby :lol:

Interesting thing happened after I broke about everything in a hard landing, after repair the airspeed indicator wasn't working. Naturally I didn't find this out until I was in the air and had airspeed. So I had to set up a landing with no airspeed info. I set the attitude indicator just above the horizon then concentrated, concentrated, concentrated on the landing point. Keeping the approach angle constant, also keeping it about the same place on the canopy, and carefully judging my approach speed. Best approach I ever made to that time because I was focused outside not on the instruments.

Try doing an approach or two staring out the canopy, you find that there are visual cues to your descent rate and speed and occasional glances at the instruments are all that are needed.

As Frusheen said use the cyclic to control your airspeed. It is your brake pedal that you are very, very gently applying by keeping the nose just above the horizon. I when I start down the approach (using collective to establish descent) I use the attitude indicator to get the nose a degree or two above the horizon, then note the position of the landing spot on the canopy. If you keep the landing spot in about the same place on the canopy you'll slow nicely (slight corrections with collective changes). Descent is managed with the collective. At the start establish about 500fpm descent, adjust your pitch, then make corrections as you see you are descending too fast or too slowly by observing the aim point. Near the end you will be slowly feeding in almost constant up collective. Of course changes in one control affects the others but for the most part those are very small changes. Just occasional glances at the instruments are required to verify attitude, airspeed, and descent rate are still about right (note that your descent rate should decrease from the initial 500fpm.)

Edited by doright

The same way they do it in real life. Practice, practice, practice. And once you've got a good handle on it, then you practice some more. There a reason US mil pilots are top candidates for airlines around the world, hundreds of flight hours spent perfecting instruction into muscle memory.

Think about parking your car. You never think about it, you just do it. Its a matter of experience and knowing your vehicle, how it handles and how you are able to maneuver it. Same thing for pilots. Just gotta fly enough to get to that point. It might take a lot of hours, I know I plan on spending a lot of time trying to figure this out myself. I imagine the exact parameters are highly dependent on how you like to fly, cause everyone does it different. I prefer fast and low myself.

LOL, don't think that US Army pilots have such a great reputation... A lot of them, I'm not saying all, but probably most are very average to say the least.

I do approach in a circle or at least with a 90 degree turn before the flare. Works fine.

I can land ANYWHERE, even more with the new FM

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

yep thats what i did...landed right on the numbers...

http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=81697&d=1368600760

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals