DCS: Spitfire Mk LF IXc Discussion

Yo-Yo

They woulda been complaining about flat grass, lol

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She's a beauty she is.

Can I touch?

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

You think that Mk IX will make you an absolute winner?

I have bad news for those who consider P-51 too stick sensitive and thus prone to stall... :)

As Spitfire has neutral stability there is only 3/4" of stick travel to stall as it was reported by NACA. Really silk hands or full scale joystick required... :)

It will be no mercy, hardcore only - all will be as Mitchell designed.

In the other WWII sim I fly, one of those Spits has a nasty bad habit of snap-spinning if I get too slow. If I am low, landing, forget about recovering.

The various sims I fly or used to fly I wonder how realistic the flight model is or was. But I get what I get and learn to fly the aircraft within the flight limitations presented.

Start-up, taxiing, takeoff, flying about and landing is the easy part, eventually. Flying successfully in combat is the real challenge and being consistent at it. I usually am consistently bad concerning the air combat stuff.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yup, I will never fly a real Spitfire, I expect ED to get me as close as possible... and I expect every good AND bad about the flight experience :) I have my Albert Price book on my desk, flipping through it now and again just waiting for the first flight :)

I don't have your book, but I agree with what you said.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Woke up, was sipping my coffee and havin' a dart, opened FB on the phone and literally sqeeled like a small pre pubecent girl. Wife was not happy to have been woken up at 6 in the morning

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

In the other WWII sim I fly, one of those Spits has a nasty bad habit of snap-spinning if I get too slow. If I am low, landing, forget about recovering.

The various sims I fly or used to fly I wonder how realistic the flight model is or was. But I get what I get and learn to fly the aircraft within the flight limitations presented.

Start-up, taxiing, takeoff, flying about and landing is the easy part, eventually. Flying successfully in combat is the real challenge and being consistent at it. I usually am consistently bad concerning the air combat stuff.

To me in combat the hardest thing to learn is going to be feeling the stick at higher speed. The Spitfire's ailerons just like the 109's will get stiffer at 500kph and above, but the Spitfire's elevator will be still very powerful. This means if you want to roll, you have to use a lot of strenght, but to pull up you have to be delicate. :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Maybe later if you play yer cards right I'd guess ;)

Aww gee thanks mate! :P

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

Probably one of the best videos relating to the love people have for the spitfire.

This guy literally cries in the cockpit. Must have been amazing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I7 4790K / EVGA 1080ti SC / 32GB DDR3 / 1TB SSD / Oculus Rift S / X-56 / MFG Crosswind V2 / ButtKicker + Simshaker for Aviators

OFF TOPIC:

:huh: In fact I think that 90% of us would have greeted it with immeasurable joy, I can still buy a better gaming rig in a few years :thumbup:

/OFF TOPIC

By the time even several thousand dollars worth of GPUs will render that kind of image in real time at usable framerates, we may have a sim engine that will produce it. :smilewink:

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers

I'm waiting eagerly for the Spit to be rolled out! Now I know why so many new German pilots crashed while learning to fly the BF-109. I 'died' many times before managed to fly it off! But great flight modelling. The Spit is my next! Great machine!

Edited by Babushka

DCS on OSX. Virtual pilot for 28 years. Love the warbirds and Cold-War era aircrafts.

• 1 month later...

About recent news email regarding spitfire

So...who's making the spitfire mod? I thought vevos is doing spitfire XIV but the news letter says spitfire IXc. Are we getting 2 versions of spitfire? I'd love it.

On a separate note..is spitfire more like a zero? But better than a zero?

So...who's making the spitfire mod? I thought vevos is doing spitfire XIV but the news letter says spitfire IXc. Are we getting 2 versions of spitfire? I'd love it.

On a separate note..is spitfire more like a zero? But better than a zero?

As far as I know ED was making a Spit IXc all the time, it was one of the 6 planes that are suppose to be DCS 1944. VEAO is making their own thing and yes they make the XIV.

Spit and Zero are not realy even near each others performance. They have different roles (interceptor vs carrier plane). All Zeros have waaaaaaaaay longer range than the Spitfire. I think it was about 1:30h for Spit and 7h of flight for A6M. In each version, the spitfire is faster and climbs better than a Zero from the same year of introduction. Again, it depends on the version you will pit against each other. I can safely say though, that Zero is the better turner than the Spit(sustained). Only exception could be the A6M3 with clipped wings, but I have no hard data on that.

There are too many differences between different versions of planes from WW2 to say for sure which is "better". I can say though, they are all unique.

Edited by Solty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

I'd like to see a poll to see the community's opinion on the "clipped vs non-clipped" wings. Personally, I always preferred the non-clipped wings.

Kinda expected this one to be non clipped ... a little surprised to see this spitfire being done this way. Not a huge spitfire fan either way but maybe they've had issues with the standard versions info or modeling it correctly for DCS. Its been almost 7 months since we've seen a new WWII module and even the Spitfire would help with this itch I'm developing. Was REALLY hoping for the P-47 very soon.

Kinda expected this one to be non clipped ... a little surprised to see this spitfire being done this way. Not a huge spitfire fan either way but maybe they've had issues with the standard versions info or modeling it correctly for DCS. Its been almost 7 months since we've seen a new WWII module and even the Spitfire would help with this itch I'm developing. Was REALLY hoping for the P-47 very soon.

Very doubtful it is a modeling issue.. I am sure it has something to do with what information they have readily available.. (Or maybe they physically have a clipped version available to them right now..) The modeling of either version should be very similar and should not present any special issues for them..

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

• ED Team

As far as I understand the difference with clipped or un-clipped, they have data for both, it was a choice based on a number of things, not the least of which was performance factors I believe. I hope to see both, but I am warming to the idea of clipped wings, having the choice in ME would be amazing to me.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I'd like to see a poll to see the community's opinion on the "clipped vs non-clipped" wings. Personally, I always preferred the non-clipped wings.

Me too, I've never been a fan of clipped wing Spitfires aesthetically. That said, we'll probably appreciate the extra performance when it is called for.

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Well if they want better roll performance an f.21 22 or 24 would do the trick....

But that would be silly! Hopefully the mission editor option will work out. I know VEAO are investigating the possibility of it for their spit too!

Absolutely! I really hope they will make a tipped wing, and the clipped wing as an option.