Community A-4E

Does DCS not allow a missile to home in on a radar signal on its own like they do IRL? Still fairly new and learning lots, so yes that's a serious question!!

~S

That logic exists for IR seeker heads e.g. AIM-9, but A2G missiles are a different class of missile, and I am not aware of it existing in-game yet. We can't invent new behaviors like Heatblur did for the Viggen, since we don't have API access.

We haven't figured out how to lock the shrike yet for players, but it's fully functional for AI. IRL, the shrike was just shot towards a radiation source and it did its own guidance, there was no explicit target designation.

The Mk-77 has to map within existing bomb capabilities, but there may still be room to improve it. Currently it's just an iron bomb in the code.

--gos

There wasn't some "firebombs" or thermobaric ones in the ingame russian arsenal? (well thermobaric would be perhaps too brutal). Hope you guys find the way to make the missile too. Anyway i'll pick the Scooter with or without them.

Edited by Sarraceno

Any news? Or are we gonna have wait til May to hear anything new?

Just a quick comment, a mini March update if you will...

We're still here, still working in the background, but at this time the team is not ready to show any of the work in progress from the last month. Hopefully some things come together by the end of April, for another big update.

--gos

May be May :megalol:

Community A-4E: April 2017 Update

Community A-4E: April 2017 Update

Unfortunately, we have another non-update update, where we didn't finish integrating any of the major modeling changes in time for this update. About half the team has been on vacation, one had final exams, etc. Not an excuse, but it is what it is.

We're trying to get the cockpit modeling and unwrapping finished, but it's obviously taking a while. The radios have been modeled and animated, and need to be plumbed in code, along with a few other cockpit systems. We're down to only 2 or 3 incomplete panels in the cockpit at this point.

Plusnine has gone through and done a cleanup / improvement pass on our weapon icons to be more consistent in the ME, as well as working with Jones on updating his gunsight texture based on newer photos we have.

From a code perspective, we have some newer data on the wing performance that I am trying to integrate, along with new AoA data in certain flight conditions. While the approach speeds are on-target right now, the glide slope is a bit steeper than it should be due to bad calculations in our AoA system which I am working to fix. While we know it's just SFM at this point, we also know the existing table system should be able to produce some very-accurate performance, if we put in the time to tune it properly using good source data.

Since we don't have anything new to show you, and a few folks were interested in any images or videos we came up with, I recorded a quick formation flight with a SEAD AI plane. Armed with two 300 gallon tanks and 2 AGM-45 Shrike anti-radar missiles, that loadout might be used if a tanker wasn't available or the carrier was based especially far offshore.

FCqO75FmAXw

The fun part of taking video is it sometimes lets us find bugs. I see at least 2 (edit: 3) in the video, maybe one of our fans can find more. =P

--gos

Edited by gospadin
  • Like 2

:thumbup:

Looking good, as for bugs, all I noticed (at this point I've only watched it once which is sure to change) was the Missile on the left wing was missing it's launcher.

Yup, that's issue #2. Only happens with AI, and only affects pylon #2. Something about one of our pylon args is off. good catch!

Looks good! Thanks for the update in any form:D

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

Thanks for the update, any info is appreciated even if not accompanied with images. :)

Really loking forward to this one.

And since you asked:

1. weapon\pylon mount

2. front gear dangling below fuselage

3. Hud cross too big ralative to the glass

Nice update video Gos!

I was wondering, if you were behind an aircraft (Quite close), would the A-4 radar not detect it as interference of some sort?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Director | Team Coordinator

PC Specs:

• Intel I7 8700k 4.7Ghz
  • Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 Motherboard
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz Ram
  • 500GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD

Nice update. Even when there isn't much to show off, just getting more shots and videos of what you already have in action is pretty fun.

Since you asked though, the switch on the Chaff panel, the one that has WR on top and Off on the bottom keeps sliding on and off.

Thanks for the update, any info is appreciated even if not accompanied with images. :)

Really loking forward to this one.

And since you asked:

1. weapon\pylon mount

3. Hud cross too big ralative to the glass

From what we can tell, #3 isn't a bug. The mils of angle map correctly to in-game angles.

Your #2 was the first thing I noticed. That is actually our temp RAT model that archimaede added while he worked on the high detail version. It appears that we may need to invert the animation arg, which might thus fix the default animation for AI.

Man, every time I see a new update I want this bird more. Keep up the good work gents.

• Like 1

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

thank you for the update, outstanding work by you and the team!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control