Experience with Captoglove?

Red Squirrel

Hi guys,

I´m thinking seriously about getting a captoglove for X Mas. As it´s rather expensive, I would be very interested in some feedback from guys who actually have them. There are a few posts speculating what they might do but have only found two very brief posts about what they really do (and not too promising: "strange handling" and "very limited").

I would be most grateful if some of you guys who have bought them could post what their actual experience is.

Thanks a lot!

Hmm, within 10 seconds of the home page video, there's one of DCS Huey where the guy interacts with the cockpit. The problem that I see is how do you disable the joystick portion and use it just for interacting with the cockpit? I wonder if you can disable collective/cyclic in the CaptoGlove controller column? The interaction with the rest of the cockpit seems like you replace the mouse with your fingers. I'll shoot their support an email to see what they say.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Damn. This is already on the market. Now we can use our peripherals and vr touch at once. Perfect in my opinion. Also interested in any hands on reports

Without Joystick Simulation, can it do more than just act as a LMB, RMB and Mouse Wheel? Since you still need to use your view to center on your switch...

Overpriced and overhyped.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

I have contacted their support and you can - they say - separate Joystick use from clicking stuff in the cockpit. I also understand, that you don´t have to center on the switch with your view, but whether that is really true is one of the questions that interest me from guys actually using the gloves...

Without Joystick Simulation, can it do more than just act as a LMB, RMB and Mouse Wheel? Since you still need to use your view to center on your switch...

Overpriced and overhyped.

I find it hard to believe it only acts for the mouse buttons. Since the whole point of the glove is to track the motion of the hand.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

You know in their video, they show it working in DCS' Huey module. So there is no question whether it works or not. The question is, is just just acting as a mouse button requiring the user to look at the control or not.

I have the LeapMotion. The motion tracking isn't even *close* to what's needed in DCS. You'll look like a heroin addict with the shakes (do they get shakes?) when trying to press a button/switch.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

I had multiple opportunities to use the Captoglove system in the past with our simulations.

It´s a great product and we are in the process of getting the gloves into our main office for further implementation with DCS.

Thanks Groove but unfortunately as a paid member of ED whom I assume get these for free, gonna have to say biased without a fair review.:music_whistling:

• ED Team
Thanks Groove but unfortunately as a paid member of ED whom I assume get these for free, gonna have to say biased without a fair review.:music_whistling:

it is not like Groove is giving a paid review, he is just sharing his experience and ED's plans.

I would like a single glove for my left hand for mouse control, would be nice.

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I had multiple opportunities to use the Captoglove system in the past with our simulations.

It´s a great product and we are in the process of getting the gloves into our main office for further implementation with DCS.

Just one question for you. Can you manipulate the cockpit controls independent of where you are looking. In other words, today, you can enable the mouse cursor, center the mouse cursor on the switch you want to manipulate, and hit the mouse button.

With these gloves, can you manipulate the switches WITHOUT having to center your view/mouse on the switch?

Thanks

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Thanks BIGNEWY, thought you guys are interested in my personal experience...

Indeed Groove, great to hear you're checking this out. Please post further info when you can. thanks! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I wonder about CPU usage. Does it hurt FPS?

I really want something like this to be successful.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I wonder about CPU usage. Does it hurt FPS?

I really want something like this to be successful.

Something like this should be what a LeapMotion is.

That is how it works with displays (and you can place it ie. front of the throttle so you can just raise finger on it and use mouse cursor.

And that works really well, if just DCS would support the virtual hands instead just have some kind placeholder there.

Edited by BIGNEWY
FIXED YOUTUBE

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Something like this should be what a LeapMotion is.

That is how it works with displays (and you can place it ie. front of the throttle so you can just raise finger on it and use mouse cursor.

And that works really well, if just DCS would support the virtual hands instead just have some kind placeholder there.

I know of the technology, I'm looking for more specifics on this particular tech and its usage of resources.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Thanks very much for sharing this, Groove. Finally one report from someone who has actually used the gloves. What I would be specifically interested in are the following points:

* A I understand it, you dont have to center the switch with your view (see Hansangb´s post). I don´t have to do this with my trackball which I´m currently using so I guess it´s the same with the gloves...

* how about turning knobs (radio frequncies etc), does this practically work ok (especially can you turn the knobs precisely enough?)

* Is aining at the switch stable (or do you have to do the shake as many people report from using Leap Motion)

* there are quite a few posts - from a theoretical level since none of the guys seem to have tried the gloves - that this just cant work from a principle point of view as the DCS cockpit is 2 D (and needs to be 3 D to have this kind of device work. I´m not really sure were this concern is aimed at, I guess it means that the finger position does not sufficiently correspond to the position of the switch in the cockpit (so no immersion...). Is that so (in the video with the huey module you see the guy flicking switches in the overhead panel without problems, but this is just an outside view).

It would be just great if you could spare some lines on that. For me, cockpit interaction is one of the key issues for the further developement of VR in DCS. And it´s a risky buy as the developer doesn´t seem to offer a refund policy if it turns out that the product is unsatisfactory...

Thanks a ton!

The one thing that I'm concerned about is the fidelity of the hand tracking. In the video, the guy had to try quite a few times to flip the switch on the huey console.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Interesting, I will follow the updates. Thank you! :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Maybe I'll take the gloves up in the Hawg and do a little video. I'm still learning the software, which is rather simple but yet not. I can't make any promises but I will see what I can do.

PS I flew the Huey at E3.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP