Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

Funny I don't have it

What's your version #?

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Not yet... maybe sometime later this week :)

EDIT: YES! IT JUST GOT DELIVERED THIS MORNING !!!! :bounce:

Woohoo moment right there :) not sure if you have had a DK1 or DK2 (I hadn't), but ENJOY Kuky!

NB: I ordered my 2nd RIFT this morning and would you believe it is in "processing for shipment" already, so they must have really made some inroads on the production and stock levels.

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

Woohoo moment right there :) not sure if you have had a DK1 or DK2 (I hadn't), but ENJOY Kuky!

NB: I ordered my 2nd RIFT this morning and would you believe it is in "processing for shipment" already, so they must have really made some inroads on the production and stock levels.

Thanks mate... I am very excited indeed, and no, I didn't try DK1 or DK2... can't wait to see what I'm in for this time :pilotfly:

You gonna get your wife to fly in da choppa with you???

make sure you don't bump your heads when moving around :D

No longer active in DCS...

If Oculus knows what's good for them they will have their shelves filled with ample supply in order to meet the holiday demand that's coming...

Congrats to those who are receiving their CV1's! :thumbup:

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Not yet... maybe sometime later this week :)

EDIT: YES! IT JUST GOT DELIVERED THIS MORNING !!!! :bounce:

Did you get to try it out yet Kuky? It's amazeballs. :) Also, Oculus store summer sale! I grabbed a bunch of stuff. The Apollo 11 is just... wow. Also picked up Elite Dangerous... I bring this up because I never fly with the pilot model on... However Elite has that moving pilot body... It's so well lined up I kept getting annoyed when the left arm of my pilot did not lift up when I took my hand off the throttle. My brain was convinced that that was my arm and should be moving too. I'm going to have to turn on the pilot bodies in the DCS planes that have them. I had no idea how much that adds to the immersion factor.

Heck, even the little kids games I got for my daughter are better in VR. I officially can never go back to non-VR when it comes to gaming/sims. Selling my Xbox and Track IR as soon as I get a chance to list them.

So happy ED is rocking when it comes to VR support. Great job ED guessing the future (that's right, this usually grumpy customer just told ED "great job" :))

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group One | Discord

Did you get to try it out yet Kuky? It's amazeballs. :) Also, Oculus store summer sale! I grabbed a bunch of stuff. The Apollo 11 is just... wow. Also picked up Elite Dangerous... I bring this up because I never fly with the pilot model on... However Elite has that moving pilot body... It's so well lined up I kept getting annoyed when the left arm of my pilot did not lift up when I took my hand off the throttle. My brain was convinced that that was my arm and should be moving too. I'm going to have to turn on the pilot bodies in the DCS planes that have them. I had no idea how much that adds to the immersion factor.

Heck, even the little kids games I got for my daughter are better in VR. I officially can never go back to non-VR when it comes to gaming/sims. Selling my Xbox and Track IR as soon as I get a chance to list them.

So happy ED is rocking when it comes to VR support. Great job ED guessing the future (that's right, this usually grumpy customer just told ED "great job" :))

I recommend Chronos really fun game.

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

I flew on the ACG server last night jumped in a Mustang and joined the party, unfortunately I managed to blow my engine three times shortly after getting into dogfights :D what a noob!

Will definitely by on again tonight and this time I will manage my engine and also turn on the pixel density as I forgot to do that (not an open beta server)

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

These are great to read! :thumbup: That's about how I felt in my first VR experience! There's no going back from VR :pilotfly:

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Some more detailed comments re my initial impressions of the CV1 after a few days use.

1) VERY pleased with my purchase of CV1. Demo's are nice, included games Luckys Tale, Eve are neat but are not my thing and do not hold much interest for me. However, slipping on the Rift and entering into a cockpit in the DCS world is simply a jaw dropping thing of beauty. The leap in sense of immersion, going from flat monitor (with TIR) to Rift, is utterly staggering.

I am using a home built sim, seat see pic below. While holding the stick in the Su-27 (which has the virtual pilot body) I looked down thru the small gap around nose in the Rift and could see a portion of my real life right arm which merged into my virtual gloved hand in the sim. Looking at my left arm, I could see my left real arm merge into my virtual gloved hand on the throttles. Wow. A couple of times while in the rift I raised my arm to check the time on the watch only to be confused/amused/impressed at what I was attempting and how my brain had been fooled.

2) Using prescription glasses. I am somewhat nearsighted and use glasses for distance. I was expecting that I would be able to use the Rift without glasses (as the lenses sit extremely close to the users eyeballs. To my disappointment, I found that Rift's lenses are focused at infinity (like HUD on real airplane) and therefor if you need glasses for distance in real life, you will need them to see clearly in the Rift. Getting the headset over my RX glasses is not easy. I found an older pair with smaller frame and it does work, however it is a pain to get the headset positioned properly over the glasses, and I am worried about damaging the Rifts foam add scratching it's lenses.

3) USB hub. In preparation for the Rift I bought a USB 3.0 hub. After installing the Rift I found that the Hub I bought is not compatible with the Rift. The Oculus website lists only ONE usb card as being compatible... the "Inateck Superspeed 4 Ports PCI-E to USB 3.0 Expansion Card" Is everyone running this card??

4) Interaction with physical objects outside of Rift ie keyboard, etc. is (as expected), a bit of an issue. Not a show stopper by any means but trying to view the outside world through the slight nose gap is a definite inconvenience. Lifting the headset to look outside the VR world, especially while wearing traditional glasses, is a hassle.

5) Resolution. Better than I expected. Some text/distant small objects difficult to read. Could be better for sure and I look forward to future versions with higher resolution. However due to the phenomenal head tracking and sense of immersion I will simply not go back to using a flat monitor for DCS.

6) I'm using contacts now, and they are SO much better than glasses for me in the rift.

That's it for now. FWIW.

1056481497_LoboSimSeat.thumb.jpg.077334561f14a59cb2923f236cee23cd.jpg

Edited by lobo**
speeling eror

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

3) USB hub. In preparation for the Rift I bought a USB 3.0 hub. After installing the Rift I found that the Hub I bought is not compatible with the Rift. The Oculus website lists only ONE usb card as being compatible... the "Inateck Superspeed 4 Ports PCI-E to USB 3.0 Expansion Card" Is everyone running this card??

Some confusion here: You initially talk about a hub then refer to an expansion card?

I got one of these and it works fine:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GT7LARA/ref=pe_1909131_77697001_tnp_email_TE_AMZLdp_i1

Ah, I bought a USB 3.0 hub which is shown as incompatible, but the Inateck internal pci USB expansion card is what Oculus lists as compatible. When you run the Oculus Compatibility Tool does it show your USB is compatible?

Edited by lobo**

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

Probably not worth opening a new thread for it now.

Inside the Rift, does Ctrl-Enter work for anyone? Brings up your controller axis.

Was trying to work out why trim didn't seem to work in the KA-50, turns out that trim appears to be disabled due to force feedback. Problem is, I use my force feedback steering wheel's pedals for my rudder and brake and a Warthog as my HOTAS so I'm unable to set the trimmer.

My Rift is being delivered today.

Can't think straight.

And just what the heck am I going to do when it gets here? Probably sit looking at the box for half an hour first... :huh:

After set-up, seriously, I have no idea what to do after Dreamdeck. So many notes on my PC, VR games to check, utilities to try, 'hacks' to remember, configs to think of.

Mental overload! :cry:

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Can't think straight.

And just what the heck am I going to do when it gets here? Probably sit looking at the box for half an hour first... :huh:

After set-up, seriously, I have no idea what to do after Dreamdeck. So many notes on my PC, VR games to check, utilities to try, 'hacks' to remember, configs to think of.

Ha Ha i know how you feel,

here is what i would do.

DCS for 3 hours

back to the dinosaur in the dream deck

DCS for additional 2 hours.

10 min rest

then download ADR1FT but make sure you have a bucket next to you lol

[ame]

[/ame]
  • Like 1

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but what are the best settings in DCS to work with the CV1 Rift. In cockpit views are ok but outside not good and over water terrible. Any suggestions please.

what's your pc spec and what settings are you using at the moment :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

Can't think straight.

I used to crack up watching the people in the DK2 riding a roller coaster and falling over. Had a hard time finding an app for the CV1. Just found this on Steam, NoLimits 2. It's a roller coaster building game, however there is a 3 coaster free demo. Great for showing off the Rift to friends and family real quick. And to watch them fall over. :)

Different subject. ED, don't make changes to the model enlargement! I agree with folks that on regular screens, it's not great, as the distant sprites are way to big. However in VR they're perfect. We were in several AI BVR and dogfight engagements last night, and with model enlargement on LARGE, in the distance I notice just a small dark.... "smudge" against the sky that is just enough to catch my eye. Feels way more real in the rift. So if you change them in future patches, please leave the option to leave them the old way too.

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group One | Discord

Got my Rift and set-up etc went very painlessly. I haven't tried DCS as yet, because I can't fit my specs under the headset - even my old, small-rimmed ones - and my VR lenses aren't likely to be delivered for a couple of weeks yet.

I found that objects in the far distance (such as distant, upcoming corners when driving around Spa) were just an out of focus mush and this got me concerned about DCS World. It might just be because I am 'spec-less', but can someone confirm whether this is an issue in the sim?

I'll give DCS World a spin tomorrow, when the awful headache I have has hopefully receded (definitely due to no specs in Rift!).

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Got mine a few days ago.

DCS in the Rift = WOW!!

It's so hard to convey to others what it is like and until they jump in they seem skeptical, then like you Lobo - they all go WOW or Holy Shite. It's so cool seeing their reaction, priceless.

I had 7 visitors yesterday and a couple more today coming over.

Anyone thinking about ordering a rift now and wondering/worried about lead times, I ordered my 2nd rift 3 days ago and it's shipping already so there is virtually no delay at present.

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

Anyone thinking about ordering a rift now and wondering/worried about lead times, I ordered my 2nd rift 3 days ago and it's shipping already so there is virtually no delay at present.

Hi, does your's ship in the US? Ordered mine two weeks ago to Spain, nothing...

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR