Should I upgrade ram from 16GB for DCS 2?

I am adding another 8 gig to my current 8 over the weekend and will run another bench to check for difference,,, time will tell.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I went from 8gb to 32gb and to tell you the truh i found absolutely no difference in DCSW.

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

Thanks AD!

Yes I think I am going to just hold where I am for now.

Look at it this way, since you already have 16GB of system RAM, a few years into the future (3 to 5 years?) you might want to get an 8GB video card if DCSW ever appears to need it. You already have twice as much system RAM as you need.

Your system should handle DCSW 2.0 no problem for many years. After all, my ancient box runs it really well! I only have 8GB system and 2GB video RAM.

Peace

Ian

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

I went from 8gb to 32gb and to tell you the truh i found absolutely no difference in DCSW.

That's because you only need 8GB for DCSW. In fact, if you have 4GB or more video memory, you can run DCS just fine on only 4GB of system RAM. The reason ED specifies 8GB is because most common video cards have 2GB or less to keep cost down, and 8GB system RAM is needed for texture swapping.

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

I had 4gb system ram and 2gb vram more than a year ago, multiplayer was stutter hell. 8Gb system ram and 2gb vram, mostly fine in 1.5 or 1.2.

4gb vram with 4gb system ram should be fine... actually might be better than my setup with 8gb system and 2gb vram.

Boy, do I regret buying a 2gb version gpu...

Saw the post title and thought 'Will I need to double my RAM to 16Gb?'. Then I saw the 'from 16Gb..' I certainly hope not as it will be a few years before I get to buy a proper gaming desktop as opposed to using my laptop (i7, 8Gb Ram so it does the job so far).

I am adding another 8 gig to my current 8 over the weekend and will run another bench to check for difference,,, time will tell.

Just added 8 more gig of ram of exact same ram,, no difference at all on my benchmarks, not even by 1 FPS,, oh well, wasn't an expensive test anyway,, was just hoping. That's on 1.2 by the way, I have not installed the 1.5 beta yet

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I'm running a 780OC and have 8gb system ram. Resource monitor never goes far above 4gig. Is that normal? I was going to upgrade to 16 but it doesn't seem to be utilized in 1.5.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

I'm running a 780OC and have 8gb system ram. Resource monitor never goes far above 4gig. Is that normal? I was going to upgrade to 16 but it doesn't seem to be utilized in 1.5.

8 to 16 did nothing for me,,,,

8 to 16 did nothing for me,,,,

Thanks Fakum

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Your welcome,,, although I was anticipating a performance increase, I'm not disappointed, it was a cheap upgrade that may have helped on some other features , at least I didn't hurt the performance,,,

You can check your ram usage press Lctl pause in game twice to display frame rate and ram usage or look at task manager, my system runs clean ie minimal stuff running and doesn't go above 4GB.

For gaming installing more ram than you use will not provide any benefit. Most games will run fine on 4GB some newer games 8GB is good. At this point 16GB for gaming is not useful unless you have other stuff running aswell which will use that much.

You can use something like MSI afterburner to check vram usage. Mine runs fine with 2GB. Generally higher vram like 4GB or 6GB is useful for higher resolutions like 1440p or 4K.

If you want higher FPS overclock CPU and GPU and get faster ram like DDR3-2400 or DDR4-3000.

Ed

You can use something like MSI afterburner to check vram usage. Mine runs fine with 2GB. Generally higher vram like 4GB or 6GB is useful for higher resolutions like 1440p or 4K.

My vram usage stays around 2.3 gb on my GTX 970 4gb card. Running 1920x1080 with all settings maxed out.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have 8 GB, where for system goes almost 3.

So 5 for DCS and often it would take more so I don't see reason why upgrading wouldn't give better performance.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

I run the game with 4GB ram lol
Yup me too... I normally have 4x2Gb (8Gb) DDR2 but for some reason my system will only boot now with 2x2Gb (4Gb total)... sods law eh! just as 1.5 hits the street.

Some peeps need to remember that we are not all running i7s with 16Gb+ of ram. It only seemed like yesterday when I upgraded my PC (probably some years ago), but it is obviously in need again. Sims need deep pockets LOL

• 1 month later...
Just added 8 more gig of ram of exact same ram,, no difference at all on my benchmarks, not even by 1 FPS,, oh well, wasn't an expensive test anyway,, was just hoping. That's on 1.2 by the way, I have not installed the 1.5 beta yet

Don't expect increased performance; I'm upgrading from 8 to 16 just to be able to fly the sim without it freezing.

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5