Low frame rate

Galm1

Has anyone else been experiencing crazy frame rate drops compared to 1.2? Or maybe someone can help me out with a fix. I know that DX9 was prone to crashes, but at least until it crashed I could count on steady frame rate. Idk if DX11 is even worth the issues I have been having frame rate wise. It seems that while flying, things are generally smooth running at a 40-50 fps, but AS SOON AS I get close to the ground for dropping bombs or landings/takeoffs, the game will just drop to less than a single frame a second. Obviously this is a problem because even though it looks stopped to me, the game is in fact still running and it has caused several crashes and headaches. It has gotten to the point that the game is almost unplayable for me. I have tried lowering my settings and have seen no difference. I'd like to say that it isn't a graphics issue since the drops will happen for the most random things. For instance, I will land smooth, but as soon as the radio menu comes up, I drop frame rate. Or in the Ka-50, I will be flying fine, and I turn on the Shkval fine, but as soon as I slave the Shkval from sky to ground, I get frame rate drop. Sometimes it happens just hovering helicopters or taxing aircraft down the taxiway. I am really disappointed because this is probably my favorite sim ever, and now I can't play a single session without wanting to tear my eyeballs out.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone else been experiencing crazy frame rate drops compared to 1.2? Or maybe someone can help me out with a fix. I know that DX9 was prone to crashes, but at least until it crashed I could count on steady frame rate. Idk if DX11 is even worth the issues I have been having frame rate wise. It seems that while flying, things are generally smooth running at a 40-50 fps, but AS SOON AS I get close to the ground for dropping bombs or landings/takeoffs, the game will just drop to less than a single frame a second. Obviously this is a problem because even though it looks stopped to me, the game is in fact still running and it has caused several crashes and headaches. It has gotten to the point that the game is almost unplayable for me. I have tried lowering my settings and have seen no difference. I'd like to say that it isn't a graphics issue since the drops will happen for the most random things. For instance, I will land smooth, but as soon as the radio menu comes up, I drop frame rate. Or in the Ka-50, I will be flying fine, and I turn on the Shkval fine, but as soon as I slave the Shkval from sky to ground, I get frame rate drop. Sometimes it happens just hovering helicopters or taxing aircraft down the taxiway. I am really disappointed because this is probably my favorite sim ever, and now I can't play a single session without wanting to tear my eyeballs out.

and for the ever popular question... could you please post up your system specs, graphic card and ingame settings please - it does help us to help you :)

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

1.5 is worse than 1.2 (stutter and ram shortage after a while)

2.0 is even worse than 1.5 (same problem as above x 4 times)

note that, i used to use 660ti with 1.2 and 970gtx 4gb with 1.5 and 2.0

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

and for the ever popular question... could you please post up your system specs, graphic card and ingame settings please - it does help us to help you :)

Go easy on the guy, it is his first post. Specs. please.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

• ED Team

Hi and welcome to the forum.

A guide for posting bugs can be found in my signature.

The more information we have the easier it will be to help you.

Your system specification would be great to start off.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

it seem like +3gb RAM on the video cards is the magic number.. But lets see what happens when they start to squeeze more eyecandy(explosions, clouds, dynamic runway light, etc) into our little world. I am sure the FPS will properly be around the same as 1.2.16, now we just have more options in settings to tweak

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Similar Problem

My version is 1.5.2 but I have frame rate issues too. Not while playing but on the menu screen. When I choose create fast mission I can't select any options or even close the menu. Only way for me to play is instant action.

System Specs: intel i7 3610QM @2.3 Ghz, 8mb ram, Geforce GTX 660m w/2GB gddr overclocked with msi afterburner

I know I'm on a lappy, but it used to work fine until an update around December. I've tried dropping the settings to low, disabling v-sync, etc. with no improvement whatsoever.

I can experience very low frames only within dense trees (I've managed to solve the problem by turning down the trees visibility... Then again looking at my specs below they're not exactly on the high-end of the scale if you know what I mean...

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

My performance has gotten poorer as well since the 1.5.3 update. 1.5.2 was smooth as butter.

In-bloody-deed. The new light reflections look awesome, but having them on results in a stutterfest. Any ideas how to turn them off anyone?

EDIT: Works pretty well if I go 30 FPS & 1/2 refresh rate, but constant 60 just isn't doable anymore - and I'm running a GTX 980 / 4.6 GHz i7-2600k / 16 GB / SSD rig here fer gadssakes. Arrrrgh...

Edited by msalama

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Well I am on a second generation laptop and before the update I had good performance on medium settings with the Mig21 and after the update it went down to 10-12 , what I noticed is the visibility that has messed up my performance so I went and removed all the buildings and I good performance again.

Hope something can be done.

I am not expecting anything more because I am on a laptop but it would be great to have the earlier performance.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Attitude Power Trim Power Attitude Trim

Wing Commander SWAC

In-bloody-deed. The new light reflections look awesome, but having them on results in a stutterfest. Any ideas how to turn them off anyone?

EDIT: Works pretty well if I go 30 FPS & 1/2 refresh rate, but constant 60 just isn't doable anymore - and I'm running a GTX 980 / 4.6 GHz i7-2600k / 16 GB / SSD rig here fer gadssakes. Arrrrgh...

I can also confirm that my FPS has halved with the new 1.5.3 update. However, this is not due to the new light reflections. I was able to turn them off in Saved Games\DCS\Config\options.lua by changing ["lights"] = 2, to ["lights"] = 0. Even with the lighting system turned off I am getting around 30 FPS compared to the 60FPS I was getting before.

383rd. Fighter Squadron:

https://383fs.wordpress.com/

ASUS G75VW:

CPU: Intel i7-3610QM | RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 | GFX: GTX670m | SSD: Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB | HDD: WD Black 750GB 2.5"

Confirmed FPS loss here too. Usually constant 60 (V-synced) now dropped to 35-40 FPS.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/andrei383gaming

383rd Fighter Squadron Website: https://383fs.wordpress.com/

383rd Fighter Squadron Steam Page: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/383FS

PC Specs: MB: MSI B85M-G43 CPU: Intel i5-4690K RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 GFX: EVGA GTX760 ACX SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Some short while ago for 1.5.3 the terrain config settings were adjusted for better visibility across all settings. So you need to understand 1 thing. Do not use high, and especially not ultra and extreme settings for visibility distances, or forests distance, if you do not have a top of the line PC (which includes very fast, later gen 4 core (or more) o/c CPU, and top of the line video card. The high setting is still very pleasant and has very decent visibility distance, you can't expect ultra and extreme (just think about what this work means!) setting... and expect good FPS when flying over cities and very dense forests, with high MSAA and what not else.

People's expectations need to be re-adjusted after this terrain visibility settings adjustments. High would be plenty for most users, if on lower and medium end PC's... you should use low and medium settings, not high, and most definitely not ultra or extreme.

HIGH settings should be used for high end PC's (the whole lot, not just one component)

MEDIUM should be used for medium, and LOW for low end PC.

Disable mirrors, use flat shadows, don't use depth of field, and don't use high MSAA... just to name a few. Start from there and see how each setting affects your FPS, and adjust (one by one) to suit.

Edited by Kuky

No longer active in DCS...

People's expectations need to be re-adjusted after this terrain visibility settings adjustments. High would be plenty for most users, if on lower and medium end PC's... you should use low and medium settings, not high, and most definitely not ultra or extreme.

Setting visible range to low I still get ~33 FPS, so it has negligible impact on frame-rate for me.

I'd understand if they were re-adjusted to make functional improvements to the game such as being able to see runway lights from far away. But as it stands now, I see absolutely no reason for the huge frame drop. The city lights are brighter than the runway lights...lol

Edited by MaverickET
Added comment about runway lights

383rd. Fighter Squadron:

https://383fs.wordpress.com/

ASUS G75VW:

CPU: Intel i7-3610QM | RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 | GFX: GTX670m | SSD: Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB | HDD: WD Black 750GB 2.5"

It's not just the fps, the whole performance and with that the stability seems lost. Server crashed 3 times already today in less than 5 hours uptime, crashes happened before but not this often.

Ah well, maybe v2.0 is done on monday.. Caucasus included and amazing smoothness and stability :)

-

If man were meant to fly he'd be filled with helium.