Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

I have the Titan X (non-pascal) and I can see a big difference. Feel free to crank the visuals to the HIGH setting! :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

@hansangb - I'm still not sure how to use this after reading frusheen instructions? I have made two reg files one for On and another for off, because I'm not sure what it means when it says: "To turn ASW off use the same .reg file and repeat the steps 3-5?" How do I use the same file to turn it on then off without first editing it in note pad and creating the file again? That's why I made two files so that I don't have to do this? Am I missing something here?

When I press the ctrl and num keys they don't seem to do anything is this because I have made two reg files one for off and another for on?

Edited by joebloggs

@hansangb - I'm still not sure how to use this after reading frusheen instructions? I have made two reg files one for On and another for off, because I'm not sure what it means when it says: "To turn ASW off use the same .reg file and repeat the steps 3-5?" How do I use the same file to turn it on then off without first editing it in note pad and creating the file again? That's why I made two files so that I don't have to do this? Am I missing something here?

When I press the ctrl and num keys they don't seem to do anything is this because I have made two reg files one for off and another for on?

There's no need for two files. Did you add (merge) the lines to your registry? Take your time and re read the instructions. Editing your registry wrong can cause serious issues with your PC. You can see if it's enabled in the oculus log files. You will also know by using the ctrl numpad shortcuts in game and turning on the frame rate monitor. With it on you should be locked at 45fps and off you should be st 90fps.

Edited by Frusheen

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

I can make a 1 min video on how to do this. Most people have problems with the reg file method because they have "hide known extension" turned on. So instead of saving the file as fubar.reg they are really saving it as fubar.reg.txt

LMK if it's not working for you, and I'll record a quick video tomorrow evening.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Bit stupid question, should have ask/read more before, but i already ordered oculus...so, i know my gfx and processor won't meet minimum specs and i have plan to upgrade them as soon as possible. Do i have any hopes of running dcs+OR with playable framerates? Current specs in signature...

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Anyone finding they can't un map the numpad 5 key from centre view? For me even though it's removed from the binding in the options DCS still takes any key presses and centres the VR viewpoint.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Bit stupid question, should have ask/read more before, but i already ordered oculus...so, i know my gfx and processor won't meet minimum specs and i have plan to upgrade them as soon as possible. Do i have any hopes of running dcs+OR with playable framerates? Current specs in signature...

I have GTX 970 and 16GB RAM but same CPU and MB. Normally my frames are between 40-80 and with Oculus it was between 30-60 and perfectly playable.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

I can make a 1 min video on how to do this. Most people have problems with the reg file method because they have "hide known extension" turned on. So instead of saving the file as fubar.reg they are really saving it as fubar.reg.txt

LMK if it's not working for you, and I'll record a quick video tomorrow evening.

Not sure what LMK means :)

I have the file working because I can see it switching on and off in the registry when I click on the two files I created. I made two files one for off and on. The Ctrl numpad commands doesn't seem to work for me though, because when I disable ASW using ctrl Numpad 1, it still remains enabled in the Registry?

Edited by joebloggs

I have GTX 970 and 16GB RAM but same CPU and MB. Normally my frames are between 40-80 and with Oculus it was between 30-60 and perfectly playable.

Thanks! I just bought r9 290x 8gb, i think it will run nicely then with that setup. Will upgrade CPU later.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's a keybinding under UI to zoom in VR

Win 10 Pro, Intel i9 9900k overclocked to 5.1 (water cooled), 64 gb Corsair Dominator platinum RAM (3444 MHz)

Titan RTX overclocked and water cooled

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

TM Warthog Stick and throttle

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

Buttkicker LFE, SimShaker, Jetseat.

All DCS modules

Noticed something interesting with Mav's in VR!!

Hi,

Has anyone else noticed that in VR (Occulus in my case) there seems to no longer be a need on most occasions to slew the Mav seeker off the target in order to get it to lock onto the target and be able to get a launch cue?

This has happened to me numerous times in VR over the first month of having VR. On one occasion i was able to get 3 successive missiles off at a convoy of 4 vehicles without having to slew the reticle at all.

When i go back to flying on my monitor i have to slew the reticle off the target to get it to lock again?

Just wondered if anyone else had noticed this or anything similar? Or maybe i've been missing something in my previous use of Mav's? Be interested to know?

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - Intel Core i9-13900K - 64GB Corsair Vengeance RAM @ 3200 MHz - ASUS TUF GAMING B660-PLUS WIFI D4 - Zotac NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 - 2TB  INTEL NVMe SSD (Windows 10) - Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB (DCS) - Crucial CT1000 1TB NVMe SSD - WinWing F-16EX Stick - WinWing Orion Throttle Base with both F-18 & F-16C TQS Throttle Grips - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech G-910 Keyboard - Logitech G-502 Lightspeed Mouse - Logitech G-533 Headset - Occulus Quest Pro VR - TrackIR 5 with Track Clip Pro

Just my 5 cents. I believe VR is the future but with current state it is not a massive consumer product. I have bought it week ago and was trying finally understand is it worth for DCS.

So there are lot of positive comments regarding immersion of to be in the real cockpit, well it is true, cockpit is awesome, but what are outside of the cockpit for 100 meters just blur...

For me it was absolutely unplayable, yes you can fly but fight and find the target without markers - noway. The second biggest issue is sickness, it is really there and it is dealbreaker for me specifically. I was able to manage 45FPS with high setting and 2.5 pixel density, but still all, except cockpit, are just awful. I have top end PC and even with Asynchronous Space Warp and low settings with 1.5 PD i had maximum 45FPS (I7 6700k, 1080 GTX, DDR4 16gb) when played some missions in DCS 1.5.

I have returned my Oculus after 1 week. Don´t let me wrong, i believe it is the future, but me personally will wait next generation of VR. My advise try it first before buying, can be that it doesn´t work for you as in my case.

That is my personal opinion.

Edited by Lt.Stich

I'm thinking that the motion sickness made it harder for you enjoy the experience Lt.Stich . It can take awhile to get used to it.

I have had my Rift since April and to be honest, I could never go back to a flat screen now for any simulator. There are some titles that still make me feel a little 'off', Subnautica being the main one. Fortunately, DCS World does not have that effect on me.

I have tweaked my labels settings to make them present, but very non-intrusive (basically Grey dots). That helps a lot to alleviate spotting targets at a distance.

VR, even in it's present state, brings a lot to the table. Helicopters are a vastly improved experience. Air Refueling is far more intuitive because you can actually judge where the basket/drogue is in relation to your aircraft. I flew the Museum Relic campaign from start to finish purely with the Rift and had no problems with the combat, both air to air and air to ground, so it is perfectly possible to operate effectively with the Rift.

Of course, when Gen 2 comes out I'll be right there in line to buy one (and probably a new PC to run it as well ;) ).

I'm sorry that you sent it back after a week. I am sure that once you got over the queeziness you would have found things a lot better.

totally agree that if you are prone to motion sickness you must take the time to gradually increase exposure, however, one must also remember that some people never get over their quezzyness

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

With Assynchronous time warp you can't have more than 45fps in DCS it is locked to 45, if you have 45 with ATW it is very smooth. No fps issues for me with gtx970 2x AA and shadows off and PD 1.7. Spoting ground target from 8-9km with ka-50 is not difficult if you know where to point shkval(no labels).

No way to go back to flat screen anymore. I tried to test again on the 32 monitor and it was terrible everything is so small...and flat..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

With Assynchronous time warp you can't have more than 45fps in DCS it is locked to 45, if you have 45 with ATW it is very smooth. No fps issues for me with gtx970 2x AA and shadows off and PD 1.7. Spoting ground target from 8-9km with ka-50 is not difficult if you know where to point shkval(no labels).

No way to go back to flat screen anymore. I tried to test again on the 32 monitor and it was terrible everything is so small...and flat..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Impossible to set shadows on and get a decent frame rate?

Impossible to set shadows on and get a decent frame rate?

I can manage shadows on but only barely. I still get the odd drop below 45 fps over Vegas with shadows.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

I have flat shadows on and I'm not seeing any issues. Even flying through Vegas NOE in one of the instant missions.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

I have flat shadows on and I'm not seeing any issues. Even flying through Vegas NOE in one of the instant missions.

Hansangb is your CPU overclocked?