Skip Bombing

Any news as to whether timed bomb fuses and skip bomb capability will be available in time for the Normandy map would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if I have missed any updates about this, but to the best of my knowledge we are unable to set bomb fuses and carry out traditional WWII skip bombing.

Thanks in anticipation.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

• Like 1

Bell_UH-1 side.png

Would be a cool feature...But what do you plan to skip bomb..ships?

Are there any dams on the Normandy Rivers? I ask because I don't know.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

who needs river/dam for ships if you have a whole sea :)

LOL!

I assumed he might want to skip bomb a dam...like they did during WWII...

https://www.damninteresting.com/skipping-bombs-like-stones/

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Out of interest was it a widely used practice?

Skip bombing was used over land and water. But my question was also about timed fuses. We need to be able to set timed fuses or we get blown up by our own bombs, and/or blow our squad mates up, with low level attacks. Being able to set timed fuses for bombs is important for air attack.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

• ED Team

I just make clearer what is requested... proper interaction with the terrain, right now bombs stick like velcro if the dont explode on contact, so not so much about skip bombing, more of proper interaction with terrain. Skip bombing would be possible then I would imagine.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

The British used specialized drums for their dam busting missions. In the Pacific theater B-25 Mitchell's were used for anti-shipping strikes using 500 pound general purpose bombs as well as some specialized types.

Still photos of the Mitchell in action during an anti-shipping raid.

http://rarehistoricalphotos.com/b-25-bombs-kaibokan-ship-1945/

Mitchell's using specialized bombs over land during a training exercise.

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

Here are some more skip bombing videos.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

I just make clearer what is requested... proper interaction with the terrain, right now bombs stick like velcro if the dont explode on contact, so not so much about skip bombing, more of proper interaction with terrain. Skip bombing would be possible then I would imagine.

It would also be nice if the bombs did any actual damage. Currently one has to drop a 500lbs bomb nearly directly on a truck with laser precision to do any damage.

The funniest thing is that as much as .50cal is underperforming in Air to Air, it is able to blow up a truck with a single bullet.

Edited by Solty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

It would also be nice if the bombs did any actual damage. Currently one has to drop a 500lbs bomb nearly directly on a truck with laser precision to do any damage.

The funniest thing is that as much as .50cal is underperforming in Air to Air, it is able to blow up a truck with a single bullet.

I have to disagree with that, it just needs to be relatively close.

50 cals are not as bad as you are implying, they need work but they aren't terrible. Don't expect to have anywhere near the same impact as the 20/30mm, i imagine it will be the improved damage model that really gives any improvement.

Edited by Krupi

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

• 3 months later...

It would be good if the devs could confirm if they have sorted out bomb delay settings for the allied side ready for the Normandy map.

The allies used bomb delay settings for ground attack, so it is a basic fundamental requirement for a WWII simulation. Bomb delay was not just a LW thing, LOL. Come on DCS, lets hope you can give us some news on this.

Happy landings,

Bell_UH-1 side.png

• 3 weeks later...

Dambusters takes a brand new flightsim.

Multicrew Lancaster. Lights for correct altitude. Device for calculating range to dam.

Ruhr map does not exist.

Nightfighters.

Flak with searchlights.

In short: forget it.

More than enough to dig in DCS already.

:)

Dambusters takes a brand new flightsim.

Multicrew Lancaster. Lights for correct altitude. Device for calculating range to dam.

Ruhr map does not exist.

Nightfighters.

Flak with searchlights.

In short: forget it.

More than enough to dig in DCS already.

:)

a delayed fuse and the ability to put into practice something that was tried in RL isn't asking for Lancaster or new map. It is however something some of us who would like to use the map in a timeline relevant context would really appreciate.

In short: no we wont

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

We don't necessarily need "skip bombing" or dambusting, but we really do need delayed fuses for the allied fighters, without them it's very hard to properly bomb as the P-51.

Also, when will we get the 250 (and 500?) pound bombs for the Spitfire?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS:WWII 1944 BACKER --- Fw. 190D-9 --- Bf. 109K-4 --- P-51D --- Spitfire!

Specs: Intel i7-3770 @3.9 Ghz - NVidia GTX 960 - 8GB RAM - OCz Vertex 240GB SSD - Toshiba 1TB HDD - Corsair CX 600M Power Supply - MSI B75MA-P45 MoBo - Defender Cobra M5

Why does not having a fuse delay make dive bombing with the P-51D more difficult. You are supposed to release your bomb about 3-4000 feet above the target and be pulled out of the dive at the latest at 2000 feet.

Delayed fuses were to allow penetration of the target, not to save the pilot form his own errors.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Why does not having a fuse delay make dive bombing with the P-51D more difficult. You are supposed to release your bomb about 3-4000 feet above the target and be pulled out of the dive at the latest at 2000 feet.

Delayed fuses were to allow penetration of the target, not to save the pilot form his own errors.

Those were the instant fuses, delays between 0 and 1 second.

Then there were fuses for low level bombing with roughly 4 to 20 seconds. Roughly.

You could also have long delay fuses, bombs would explode like a minute after impact. No idea as to why that was a thing, but it was.

And yes, low level bombing was a thing - done especially for improved accuracy or avoiding flak. Skip bombing was a thing as well - and does not equal to dam-busting. It's used against shipping.