What aircraft are you going to be flying in normandy and why ?

silenteye

P-51D because I'm an American, and proud of it!

For some reason your statement reminded me of Prothero from 'V for Vendetta.'

"I'm a God-fearing Englishman and I'm goddamn proud of it!"

Gazelle for me then the Spit. Even though I'm an American, and I love the P-51 I'll start with the Spitfire.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the 109.. rewriting the history ;)

• Like 1

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

Well, without going to the details I guess we should be happy and grateful that the history turned out the way it did and Nazis lost the war ;)

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

With a Kurfurst that won't take much :doh: :D

Spitfire first followed by a more luxurious ride in the Gazelle :D

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

F-15, full afterburner, 70,000 feet. Just kidding. I'll bust out the Stang initially because it feels like the right thing to do, but as others have said it's Normandy Helicopter Tours in the Gaz I'm looking forward to the most. Best way to get down in the weeds, literally.

Rig: i7-6850K, Sapphire 6900XT, 32GB RAM, Asus X99-Pro board.  Gear: VPC WarBRD/MongoosT-50 Stick, VPC MongoosMT-50 Throttle, VKB T-Rudders Mk.IV Pedals, HP Reverb G2.

The 109 and the Mustang. As much as I LOVE the Spitfire and the way ED modeled it, ever since its release I started to appreciate the P-51 even more.

I can't wait to roar across Normandy at treetop level and strafe whatever moves. Also, to dive into a large formation of B-17s head on with my Messerschmitt.

Well I think I'll get my trusty old Mi-8 and see the sights, then have a quiet aperitif or two somewhere. The missus can fly back if the aperitif count exceeds two, mind :D

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Spit IX because it's the only aircraft in the current inventory that actually flew combat missions over Normandy in the summer of 1944. The Mustang, Dora and Kurfurst versions we have were all later war (or mixed) models; I can save them for a bit later.

cheers

horseback

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]"Here's your new Mustangs boys--you can learn to fly 'em on the way to the target!" LTCOL Don Blakeslee, late February 1944

This is an easy decision for me. I consider DCS a simulation. a simulation means to me that we're simulating real life. Even if it is in a different time.

So, as a loyal American and putting myself back in WW2. What would I be flying if I was a pilot? The P-51 is the obvious choice. So is the P-47 if we get that.

It doesn't matter how it flies or if it's the best plane or the worst plane. I would have had to deal with it back then, and i'll deal with it now.

Buzz

Spit IX because it's the only aircraft in the current inventory that actually flew combat missions over Normandy in the summer of 1944. The Mustang, Dora and Kurfurst versions we have were all later war (or mixed) models; I can save them for a bit later.

cheers

horseback

I couldn't have said it better :thumbup:

I would like to know if it is possible to fly the newer jets in normandy.:pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

---- " In Peace.....Prepare to War "--------

Wishlist : F-4 Phantom / F-20 TigerShark / Su-34

Processor Core i7 4790, 32 Gb RAM, 2 Tb SSHD, GTX 750 2Gb, 1920X1080 Gaming Monitor, Senze Joypad, Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit, VMware Workstation 12 for WindowsXP with Office 2007 and Linux OpenSUSE for Net Access.

I would like to know if it is possible to fly the newer jets in normandy.:pilotfly:

Yes you can. Though landing/starting may be challanging as the runways are from WW2 era.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

All of them...,

and, because I can....

:D:D:smartass::pilotfly:

Sorry, just couldn't resist...:)

+1

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

cheers

horseback

Not sure if they flew missions, but a good supply of P-51D's were on hand for D-Day.

Buzz

Not sure if they flew missions, but a good supply of P-51D's were on hand for D-Day.

Think he meant that the D model Mustang in DCS now is a model that came into service towards the end of the war. The K-14 gun sight was only starting to be a field mod around July '44 and it was October '44 before they were factory fitted in the 20-NA block. It also would've had fabric elevators around the Normandy timeframe instead of the metal elevators it currently has in game. Having said that the performance of the in game Mustang would otherwise be pretty close to the Normandy version. The same can't really be said about the 109 or 190. So really out of all the WW2 planes in DCS the only one that actually fought at Normandy was the Spit IX. But anyway it is what it is and there'll be plenty to enjoy with the new map and hopefully over time things get aligned better.

Think he meant that the D model Mustang in DCS now is a model that came into service towards the end of the war. The K-14 gun sight was only starting to be a field mod around July '44 and it was October '44 before they were factory fitted in the 20-NA block. It also would've had fabric elevators around the Normandy timeframe instead of the metal elevators it currently has in game. Having said that the performance of the in game Mustang would otherwise be pretty close to the Normandy version. The same can't really be said about the 109 or 190. So really out of all the WW2 planes in DCS the only one that actually fought at Normandy was the Spit IX. But anyway it is what it is and there'll be plenty to enjoy with the new map and hopefully over time things get aligned better.

OK, that makes sense. We can always not use the K-14 sight for more authenticity. Personally, I don't like it that much.

However, I wish we had all the power we should have.

Buzz

cheers

horseback

P1D30 may be from later war, and seen use in the pacifc theatre but lets be honest performance wise Its not much different than the ETo theatre stang apart from lacking 75hg 150 octane fuel which was only standard for 8th AF. whilst everyone else was still using 67 hg stangs. Just get the appropriate skins and thatl be good enough place holder until ED gives us a P51D rework for ETO.

the changes from a ETO P51D20/D25 to D30 arent major changes anyhow and have to do with things that wont really have an impact on your dogfights ( like newer radios Or such)

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

• 3 weeks later...

It will be the P-51D for me until I find a module that attracts me or if there is a WWII Module Bundle sale. I would truly like to see a multi-crew B-17G with working Guns, Bombardier, Radios, Pilot and CoPilot, the full crew!

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well I'll probably hop on the first Normandy server I see and if there's more allies I'll fly the Dora, or more axis I'll fly the P-51 (since they are my two favourites) :)

A Brit who doesn't fly the Spitfire?

Buzz