VR: to be or not to be.

witwas

DCS Huey, DCS Spitfire are my favourites. If you have a wheel then Project Cars, Assetto Corsa, Live For Speed, for space experience Mission:ISS, Discovering Space II. Robo Recall for dumb fun. Google Earth VR. There is a ton of amazing stuff out there for VR.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

Prior to getting CV1, I was a bit concerned that looking at others' comments, there might be an element of "I've just spent xxx£/$, and I'm determined to justify it!".

Having been an avid TrackIR, multi monitor etc - I was a bit reticent.

However, it's not perfect, resolution drops a bit but the immersion is unique.

Wouldn't look back!

i7-4790, 16GB DDR3, 6GB EVGA GTX1060 SC, Oculus CV1, Track IR 5, BenQ XL2720X, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind, Microsoft Windows® 8.1 -

Although flying the Huey or the Spit in DCS is just about the best thing to do in the rift, there are so many other cool things to do that you ought to sample plenty of the other experiences too. I really feel like I have had my money's worth by trying out all those other things.

I think DCS aircraft are the most 'alive' out of most stuff you try in flight sims, and it seems to be amplified in VR. The level of detail really comes to the fore when you strap on the rift, and the Spitfire is such a pinnacle of the art of simulation that you can appreciate more fully imo.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

Although flying the Huey or the Spit in DCS is just about the best thing to do in the rift, there are so many other cool things to do that you ought to sample plenty of the other experiences too.

This for sure.

I would encourage anyone looking to buy a Rift today, to go ahead and splash the extra hundred bucks and get the Touch controllers. Very well worth the money, heck when I got mine they were 200 bucks. You get the extra sensor with it, plus some really cool Touch games as well that come with it once they are activated.

Whilst my main love and most of time is spent in combat flight simming, I have been having a blast with other stuff using the Touch controllers as well.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... I was set on waiting for the next generation of VR HMDs. Then I got to try a Oculus Rift CV1. When I looked back at the wing, and then tried to grip the canopy frame, to get out, I was sold. I got one, and I couldn't care less about 2D simming anymore. I loved IL2 and Rise of Flight, but since they didn't support VR, I lost interest. IL2 has since then gotten VR support, and it's fantastic!

But my favourite VR sim is DCS. Taxiing around in the Spitfire and leaning to the sides to look out past the huge Merlin engine in front, is just amazing. Flying around with that perfect head tracking allows for near perfect situational awareness. Dogfighting has become a lot more physical than before, with a TrackIR and a 2D screen. Not that TrackIR is bad or anything. It totally revolutionized Flightsimming. I got a 34" curved 21:9 screen, that was awesome together with a TrackIR. That screen cost me more than the Rift did. Once I got the Rift, I sold the 34" screen.

Sure, the resolution could be better. Doesn't need much though. A wider field of view would be nice as well. But that doesn't keep me from enjoying VR. Not one bit.

I'm trying to hold off for the next gen, just to start off when it's truly amazing. However, I'm aware of the fact that it may take 12-18 months before we see gen 2 headsets from Oculus or HTC. That makes it very hard to wait, especially since the cost of a Rift is not really an issue.

I have only played DCS with the Vive and it was a great experience in many ways, though the low resolution put a bit of a strain on the eyes when trying to spot things. Overall though the feel of flying is just amazing, to the extent that when I returned to play DCS on a monitor (after one day with the Vive) it felt so boring I actually thought I would quit playing until I got my own VR headset.

Time will tell if I can keep myself from buying the CV1...

I'm trying to hold off for the next gen, just to start off when it's truly amazing. However, I'm aware of the fact that it may take 12-18 months before we see gen 2 headsets from Oculus or HTC.

Fyi...

http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift-cv1-superseded-new-version-least-two-years-rift-2-cv2/

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I'm trying to hold off for the next gen, just to start off when it's truly amazing. However, I'm aware of the fact that it may take 12-18 months before we see gen 2 headsets from Oculus or HTC. That makes it very hard to wait, especially since the cost of a Rift is not really an issue.

I have only played DCS with the Vive and it was a great experience in many ways, though the low resolution put a bit of a strain on the eyes when trying to spot things. Overall though the feel of flying is just amazing, to the extent that when I returned to play DCS on a monitor (after one day with the Vive) it felt so boring I actually thought I would quit playing until I got my own VR headset.

It's truly amazing right now! Gen 2 will just be amazinger ;) .

I know how you feel. i was going to sit trough the whole 1. gen sets. From before i have had a ancient Emagin VR set, as well as the DK2. Finally i have given in and got the Pimax 4K. It is great for the feeling of flight, but i have decided to delay my transition into complex modern cockpits (i come from wwII fighters) because of the visual limitations of current gen resolution. I think gen 2 will come faster than Oculus predicts. Samsung that supplies displays to both Rift and Vive has just made public a display with 2,024 x 2,200 pixels. Combine that with eye tracking, and you have a markedly better image clarity, while the eye tracking gives you better framerates than what we have today.

I think the headset i describe above will be a magnitude better for VR than anything that exist today. Also keep in mind that i only use VR for flight sims. They are the most demanding in terms of hardware than anything else (just look at your monitor and GFX card; Are they budget models, or high end ?) So, if you intend to use it on other things than flight sims, you may still get value today.

Intel Core i7­6700K, 32GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe SSD + 2TB HDD, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Pimax 5k+

Resistance is futile :D

I must admit I way very fortunate in my purchase of the CV1 a lad suffered from motion sickness and sold on to me.

Edited by freehand

I think it depends if you want to play a game or fly. On three screens with track ir you are playing a game, you may get better resolution and it may be easier to spot aircraft and tell their aspect, but with oculus rift it is close to actually flying, it is a totally different experience. When you feel your stomach lift as you bunt over a rise in a gazelle it makes you realise how visually oriented we are.

The caveat, 5% of the population cant deal with the visuals with no actual motion, a friend of mine who was an F5 QWI and F18 pilot managed 5 mins on the F5 before having too stop, now the B777 sim makes him feel bad on the "ground" too, so if you can try before you buy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

I got mine today (the CV1), found one second hand, just tested it for a couple of hours.

B5B5BAC7-420D-46FD-B9B8-64166C71A177_zpsak2zwvqa.jpg

My opinion:

UNBELIEVABLE, FANTASTIC, COMPLETELY INSANE.

Never thought it would be such a difference, it's not the fact that you can move around (which is piratically the same as with the track ir), it's the step from 2d to 3d.

Okay it isn't as sharp but if you crank up the pixel density to max it is completely playable.

P.s. If you like to fly the DCS helos, you need to have it, you will notch up your skill level in minutes

I got mine today (the CV1), found one second hand, just tested it for a couple of hours.

My opinion:

:thumbup:

Congrats, ain't it great!! I still feel the same way after using mine for 5 months.

Don B

I think it depends if you want to play a game or fly. On three screens with track ir you are playing a game, you may get better resolution and it may be easier to spot aircraft and tell their aspect, but with oculus rift it is close to actually flying, it is a totally different experience. When you feel your stomach lift as you bunt over a rise in a gazelle it makes you realise how visually oriented we are.

The caveat, 5% of the population cant deal with the visuals with no actual motion, a friend of mine who was an F5 QWI and F18 pilot managed 5 mins on the F5 before having too stop, now the B777 sim makes him feel bad on the "ground" too, so if you can try before you buy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That's kind of how I explain it. If you like being a leader on a kill list, by all means go for the 4K screens etc. If you want to experience the sensation of flight, feel the real world challenges, maintain real situational awareness go with VR.

Nothing wrong with either approach. To each his own.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Told you it would fit nicely on the side of your rig there thumbup.gif

Once you go down the rabbit hole you never look back, glad you like it, welcome to the rift

Witwas,

I also have triple screens setup and I run at 3380 x 1920 so roughly about 40" size screen. I was actually thinking of getting 4k 55" curve screen. But ever since I got the Rift, I'm glad that I didn't go the 4k route. In my opinion, no matter how big your screen or how good your resolution could be the immersion factor is not the same as CV1. Yes, CV1 resolution could be better but the wow factor makes up for the lack of high res. Sometimes, I just sit in the Huey cockpit and stare at the giant blade whipping above my head. You will not get this feeling with triple screen or 4k giant screen. Not to mention the tracking is way better than TrackIR. I noticed it's also easier to perform formation flight using Rift than monitors.

Hope that helps,

G6

Win 10 · i9900K@stock · 4070Ti· ASUS Z390-A · SSD · 64Gb · TM Warthog · CV1 · Quest 2

Sometimes, I just sit in the Huey cockpit and stare at the giant blade whipping above my head. You will not get this feeling with triple screen or 4k giant screen.

I can certainly relate.

One of the first things I did after getting my Rift, was load up the KA-50 Cold Start mission.

Sitting in that full size cockpit, flipping all the switches and then watching those large rotors start to spin and the thump-thump in my ears, was incredible.

Don B

B5B5BAC7-420D-46FD-B9B8-64166C71A177_zpsak2zwvqa.jpg

My opinion:

Never thought it would be such a difference, it's not the fact that you can move around (which is piratically the same as with the track ir), it's the step from 2d to 3d.

Okay it isn't as sharp but if you crank up the pixel density to max it is completely playable.

P.s. If you like to fly the DCS helos, you need to have it, you will notch up your skill level in minutes

Hehe welkom to the real deal witwas ... afther i have bought my rift i didnt take long before i wanted to upgrade my seat with a jetseat, because i to have a warthog extencion i search for a vibration seat that fit for my seat and found from andre's shop a jetseat sim edition...

Normaly i will get it in july... cant wait to get a little bit of feeling to when flying :) revieuw telling it is in combination whit rift also a verry nice imersion

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-J510FN met Tapatalk

My opinion:

Now you know how hard it is to truly explain how much better VR is than a flat screen! :thumbup:

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So, we all know ED has bitten over to much. That is why i applaud the transfer of F-18 development to 3-rd party. VR got the short end of the stick in terms of 2.1 lighting engine. No surprise there, VR is the new kid on the block. It looks gorgeous on monitor, so good job with that. I expect ED will now give full focus on the VR part of 2.1, as it will go into 2.5 core.

We are getting a gamma slider, however, there are issues that pertain to the tuning of the engine itself. Say in a low sun condition, when the brightness between hud, cockpit and outside simply is wrong.

Getting it right will require time. I just hope ED keeps full focus on the core product and timelines.

Intel Core i7­6700K, 32GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe SSD + 2TB HDD, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Pimax 5k+

It was a DCS pilot describing how awesome the experience in a DK2 was back in Jan 2016 that made me order the CV1. Best thing I ever bought-period. My brother brought over a friend who had all these preconceived notions about why VR was not that good. I put him in my haptic feedback chair, put the Rift on his head and set the Mi8 on auto start. After wiping the crap from his pants and the smile off his face, I let him try Dirt Rally and Robo Recall with Touch. Next week, I saw him and he had ordered a Rift and was building a new computer.

The general consensus is that any meaningful advances (gen 2) in VR are 2 to 3 years out. This is not because of the displays, but more because of the computer power to run them and the time to program for tricks like foveated rendering or VRSLI and such. By then , I will have been enjoying VR for close to 4 years and be glad that I had. I deleted all my non VR games a year ago. My 2 cent.

Edited by dogbite
spell

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+