Some Comparison Shots of the Free Caucasus Update

NineLine

Marnueli not too sure, it was bombed during the 2008 war however. I would however love it as an additional field. My main concern though is airfield accuracy, if at least all the current airfields and NAVAIDs are accurate (not just in the correct locations, but featuring correct structures).

Personally having real firing ranges would be a plus over battering that poor airfield near Kobuleti.

+1 :thumbup:

Regarding the Marueli though. I'm also not sure as I wasn't able to find much information about it but it seems to be operational.

If I recall correctly during 2008 conflict Kutaisi got bombed (thus the craters). Senaki also had been bombed as also later on blown up by the special ground forces. Both are closed at the moment which aside of being further South might be the reason why some squadrons had been moved to Marneuli.

Take above with a grain of salt as I might be confusing thinks as also base on non accurate information. Those event's shouldn't also have an influence on the map design.

Again, it would be interesting though if someone could shed some light on the history of Marneuli AB.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one or two issues to iron out... does that mean 2.5 re-unification is imminent?

I think what Sith was talking about was just regarding the improved Caucasus map, I'm not sure about the 2.5 grand merge.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I think what Sith was talking about was just regarding the improved Caucasus map, I'm not sure about the 2.5 grand merge.

Probably we can expect that the initial release of the new, reworked Caucasus coming out in 2.x branch, (let's say 2.2 or whatever) having the 1.5.x still available. That's at least until the new Caucasus map comes out of Alpha and a decision is made to ultimately cut out the old Caucasus, thus discontinuing the 1.5.x. This will be the final 2.5 version I presume.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Probably we can expect that the initial release of the new, reworked Caucasus coming out in 2.x branch, (let's say 2.2 or whatever) having the 1.5.x still available. That's at least until the new Caucasus map comes out of Alpha and a decision is made to ultimately cut out the old Caucasus, thus discontinuing the 1.5.x. This will be the final 2.5 version I presume.

Yeah, though I seem to recall having the Caucasus map out in the open alpha branch is a worst-case scenario.

In any case 2.5 is the ultimate goal, one that could not come any sooner.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Yeah, though I seem to recall having the Caucasus map out in the open alpha branch is a worst-case scenario.

In any case 2.5 is the ultimate goal, one that could not come any sooner.

New Caucasus going onto the 2.0 branch (it's just another map module now btw*) will probably be the same as ED saying OA is at 2.5.

"2.5" is just a name for a vague definition anyway. No-one knows exactly what's going to be in it apart from it being 2.0 + New Caucasus + some new bits.

If ED have to drop some other planned new features to deliver a version of it in a timely manner, they will. They did that with 1.5 when they launched EDGE after all.

I for one, cannot wait for the new Caucasus, it's looking rather lovely.

*New folder structure in 1.5 has it living in mods/terrains under CaucasusBase, which follows the pattern of Normandy and Nevada in 2.0.

I just hope that we will get Caucassus in 2.X as soon as possible so we could finally ditch 1.5x. Having 3 versions of the sim must be a bug-tracking development horror-nightmare for every module producer creating a mess among modules and certainly lowering quality. I am just puzzled that they have kept this going for such a long time ... I personally do not mind if the new Caucassus is not 100%, it already looks so amazing and much better than what we have, just unite the versions please.

I thought that the release of the new Caucasus compatible with the 2.x engine was the merge itself. Is it not?

Because I guess everything else is already compatible with 2.x, except the Caucasus and its campaigns and missions...

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Black Shark 2, FC3, UH-1H, M-2000C, A-10C, MiG-21, Gazelle, Nevada map

since the late announcement of 2.5 and due to the problems which still exist in 1.5 I would not hope for a stable and merged version 2.5 before the middle of next year. Anyway what we can hopefully expect is an bigger update of 1.5.7 the next two weeks.

Fractal Define R6 | Maximus XI Hero | i7-9700K@5.1GHz | GTX 2080 Ti | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | SSD M.2 1TB | VG248QE | TM Hotas Warthog | TrackIR4

DCS F-5E | MiG-21 | A-10C | FC3 | NTTR | F/A-18C

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

since the late announcement of 2.5 and due to the problems which still exist in 1.5 I would not hope for a stable and merged version 2.5 before the middle of next year. Anyway what we can hopefully expect is an bigger update of 1.5.7 the next two weeks.

True, we are yet to see 1.6...1.7...1.8.... :D. So still a long way. 2017 is not the year unfortunately by the looks.

Updated Caucasus should bring the merge. As I understand it anyways.

Is there a lot of work left on the new caucasus?

Also. I would expect 2.5 to have fixed all serious flaws introduced since 1.5...

Wouldn't you agree?

Sven

[TABLE][sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]|

[/TABLE]

True, we are yet to see 1.6...1.7...1.8.... :D. So still a long way. 2017 is not the year unfortunately by the looks.

But the new engine is already 2.1. Will there even be a 1.6, 1.7, etc?

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Black Shark 2, FC3, UH-1H, M-2000C, A-10C, MiG-21, Gazelle, Nevada map

Unlikely. Like many have said in this thread, it cant be efficient to have like three different versions of the software out there in the wild and to keep track of all the bugs in them.

I can't wait for DCS to re-unify. I can't stand the mess it is right now.

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

That's right, and even though the potential is there, i havent been able to bring myself to sort through the mess and get to serious flying, learning and fighting. Getting the thing tweaked just right in both performance and controls is such a freakin hassle. And it needs to be done for two versions, and redone everytime something gets changed. blegh.

• Like 1

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

That's right, and even though the potential is there, i havent been able to bring myself to sort through the mess and get to serious flying, learning and fighting. Getting the thing tweaked just right in both performance and controls is such a freakin hassle. And it needs to be done for two versions, and redone everytime something gets changed. blegh.
I found creating a symlink for the settings folder indispensable for this. Set once in any version and it's instantly available in all versions. Instructions found somewhere in these mighty forums...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

i7-7700K 4.2 GHz, Gigabyte GTX 980 4Gb, Asus Prime z270k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600MHz, Plextor PCIe SSD 256Gb, Samsung EVO 750 SSD 500Gb, 9.5TB SATA incl 4TB Mirrored. Saitek X52-Pro

Some people's logic in this thread is quite hilarious. Its ready when its ready, maybe next week, maybe next month, maybe next year.

• Like 1

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

SithSpawn - thank you for keeping us updated. I hope ED appreciate what an effective marketing tool you are!

Some interesting and many valid comments on this thread IMHO.

I do get the point of the trees to the runways though (as a RL pilot).....but I guess the CA guys could quickly take them down.....

Keep up the good work - 2.5 would make a great Christmas Present!

• Like 1

i7-4790, 16GB DDR3, 6GB EVGA GTX1060 SC, Oculus CV1, Track IR 5, BenQ XL2720X, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind, Microsoft Windows® 8.1 -