Some Comparison Shots of the Free Caucasus Update

NineLine

I like the fact it's disused.

Good place to go and practice with a new module circuits and bumps! and a few hover tests when the Harrier drops. A quiet spot on a busy multiplayer server. Also a good range to bomb the crap out of it :D

Nice screen shots SiTh, thanks for sharing them. Much improvement on the old map. Looking forward to exploring it all over again! smile.gif

• Like 1

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The additional detail looks great, but why all those runways are so dark? That's not how they look on real photos.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

The additional detail looks great, but why all those runways are so dark? That's not how they look on real photos.

And some of it is the gamma setting at the time of the screenshot. Here's Gelendzhik with somewhat similar gamma:

attachment.php?attachmentid=169820&d=1506447006

• Like 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Nice work !

Worth waiting and getting more & more grey hair ;)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

^ Here would be Gelendzik with somewhat similar gamma, if your screen showed up at all :D (nothin' to see, either on Opera or on Firefox!).

Strange. Shows up in Firefox, Opera, and IE for me.

Here it is as a PNG file, if that should make a difference.

attachment.php?attachmentid=169851&stc=1&d=1506452096

1269828823_Gelendzhik-Airport-13A.thumb.png.ca3410e8a0c338263071d7b0a6cfbfc0.png

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Here it is as a PNG file, if that should make a difference.

Looking at water (snow?) puddles on the ground it's quite possible that the runway on your photo is also damp. Below is a different photo of the same runway.

Runway_at_Gelendzhik_Airport.jpg

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Looking at water (snow?) puddles on the ground it's quite possible that the runway on your photo is also damp. Below is a different photo of the same runway.

Runway_at_Gelendzhik_Airport.jpg

Same runway, same day, marginally different time, slightly different angle, different gamma.

_____

By the Wags info, no new airfields added to Caucasus map, only updates on the olds fields.

So no plans for adding Marneuli?

Is there any specific reason why it's not already included in the DCS map? Many of the airports/airbases changed a lot from 90's which as I understand the Caucasus map is portraying. Noworosyjsk doesn't exist anymore, Mozdok got a new runway. The question is did Marneuli exist in 90's or it's a relatively new airbase?

Different question is if the airports are going to be changed. Again, might be a timeline difference but for instance Maykop looks totally different. Another example is Anapa which at the moment is an civilian airport while in DCS it's modeled as an military airbase.

Another question - since the "X" runway had been mentioned. There seems to be a real firing range just East of Vaziani. It's in the area covered by current DCS map but is not modeled. Would be great if it's included in the new map.

Last but not least, are the cities going to obtain more distinctive layout. It's not required to reflect every single buildings but just a major street layout with maybe some distinctive buildings would really help in visual navigation.

Overall the point is that as far the progress on visual side of the map looks just amazing there could be more information about the changes for the map topology.

1819865686_dcsmarneuli.thumb.jpg.e8b160fb5bd7e3e027841964d073e061.jpg

1008642726_dcsmaykop.thumb.jpg.26ed1f184df04968979f17d3ce96578b.jpg

836349025_dcsmozdok.thumb.jpg.fdd8648b8a95b43645142b5f580f8382.jpg

1602901032_dcsanapa.thumb.jpg.729564e1fa74aedcc90cba59f696bfbd.jpg

1960572365_dcsbeslan.thumb.jpg.cc833222518ec9caab36e43cd2500c68.jpg

1720969707_dcsgalendzyk.thumb.jpg.3cd3feaa8543532a1c03b4d8d0a9750d.jpg

993461448_dcskrymsk.thumb.jpg.fb300b25817f0e744463cd643a60dfc3.jpg

298668208_dcspoti.thumb.jpg.a65f5a300cbee6040ef13fb594097716.jpg

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Time constraints perhaps. Its been quite a bit of work to just get the map itself updated, changing airbases to be more realistic would add to that. It is worth noting that Batumi, Senaki, and Sukhumi did receive design updates with the map updates that came out with the A-10C release. So who knows. One thing that is important to remember that any changes to existing parts of the map may have unintended consequences. Anapa in game has 86 spawns on it, it doesn't look like the real world design of it would support that many.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Time constraints perhaps. Its been quite a bit of work to just get the map itself updated, changing airbases to be more realistic would add to that. It is worth noting that Batumi, Senaki, and Sukhumi did receive design updates with the map updates that came out with the A-10C release. So who knows. One thing that is important to remember that any changes to existing parts of the map may have unintended consequences. Anapa in game has 86 spawns on it, it doesn't look like the real world design of it would support that many.

Who the hell needs 86 spawn points at one airbase when the netcode can barely handle 40 players on an entire server without crumbling to a laggy, warping crash?

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

No it is not needed to update the airbases. One better function to do is make airbases capturable as a setting and by that make it possible to use all parking space for both red and blue. In the dynamic campaign I’m hosting the airports are all used and there is no space for new aircrafts. Just a wish but not a priority of course.

Who the hell needs 86 spawn points at one airbase when the netcode can barely handle 40 players on an entire server without crumbling to a laggy, warping crash?

Evidently people not obsessed with Ohio State. In seriousness though that is just one specific example and one that I picked because of how different the real version and the in game version are. One of the big issues with modifying the Caucuses map is that there has been nearly 10 years worth of mission content that could be negatively effected. Anytime a change like scenery, roads, or even base design is made it could require someone to have to go back and fix the mission to account for the changes. Not something to stop it from happening, just something to consider. While there are a few of the older bases I wouldn't mind seeing updated, I'd definitely prefer for bases to be added to the map instead.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

So no plans for adding Marneuli?

Is there any specific reason why it's not already included in the DCS map? Many of the airports/airbases changed a lot from 90's which as I understand the Caucasus map is portraying. Noworosyjsk doesn't exist anymore, Mozdok got a new runway. The question is did Marneuli exist in 90's or it's a relatively new airbase?

Different question is if the airports are going to be changed. Again, might be a timeline difference but for instance Maykop looks totally different. Another example is Anapa which at the moment is an civilian airport while in DCS it's modeled as an military airbase.

Another question - since the "X" runway had been mentioned. There seems to be a real firing range just East of Vaziani. It's in the area covered by current DCS map but is not modeled. Would be great if it's included in the new map.

Last but not least, are the cities going to obtain more distinctive layout. It's not required to reflect every single buildings but just a major street layout with maybe some distinctive buildings would really help in visual navigation.

Overall the point is that as far the progress on visual side of the map looks just amazing there could be more information about the changes for the map topology.

Hard hitting questions but I would just be happy to see landmark structures modelled and making cities distinctive

Happy Bug Hunting!

Awesome work there, ED!

We all can't wait any longer, but having these sneak peeks makes the waiting more bearable ;)

Keep it up ED!

Based on the pattern of information flowing prior the release for previous modules, the intensity of the screenshots shared makes me belive that it's not that far before we'll see the map. :thumbup:

Keeping the fingers crossed though still would love to understand more on what kind of structural updates the map will undergo.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Based on the pattern of information flowing prior the release for previous modules, the intensity of the screenshots shared makes me belive that it's not that far before we'll see the map. :thumbup:

Keeping the fingers crossed though still would love to understand more on what kind of structural updates the map will undergo.

Sith said only 2 or 3 issues left to iron out, and not very far off...so that's a positive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Hard hitting questions but I would just be happy to see landmark structures modelled and making cities distinctive

Marnueli not too sure, it was bombed during the 2008 war however. I would however love it as an additional field. My main concern though is airfield accuracy, if at least all the current airfields and NAVAIDs are accurate (not just in the correct locations, with correct frequencies, transmissions and identifiers but also the actual physical ground stations where they broadcast).

Personally having real firing ranges would be a plus over battering that poor airfield near Kobuleti. Maybe in the future we could draw up a pseudo aeronautical chart to be available in the briefing. Eh minor things

I mean even if it isn't on release or if it is a paid expansion then I'd be more than satisfied. Although I will be more than satisfied with the new map when it does finally come out

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.